2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Could someone provide some insights in terms of job hunting in the US for international students with a biology undergraduate degree? I need to seriously consider some alternative options.

Kevin, honestly, it's not that great, but I live in the South where generally scientific research is a bit more scarce for recent graduates, so maybe someone may give you a more optimistic answer. You might find an entry level lab technician job for $30k around here and may or may not do research. The good news is that you can get some pretty good raises if you prove yourself, stick around for a couple of years, or are willing to work odd shifts.

Edited by aba1984

Thanks. It's not decided yet. I simply feel that maybe there's just way more qualified people than positions available in the research industry and maybe I and the world would both be better off if I chose to do something else. Doesn't have to be biology-related. I went to a decent liberal arts college in the midwest and have taken courses in very different disciplines. We'll see. It's just a bit disappointing that I had everything planned out and did not expect such a competitive admission season. 

Hey guys, I'm freaking myself out (hence my username) and thought maybe one of you might be able to reassure me?  I got a Harvard BBS interview a while back and didn't respond (i.e. filling out the online form they give you) til yesterday because I was waiting to hear from someplace else about dates.  But now I'm worried that because I waited so long to fill it out, I might not get an interview spot.  Is that a legitimate concern?  They say "spots are limited" but I wasn't sure if that referred to having an equal distribution between weekends or if they actually send out more interviews than they can accomodate.

Hey guys, I'm freaking myself out (hence my username) and thought maybe one of you might be able to reassure me?  I got a Harvard BBS interview a while back and didn't respond (i.e. filling out the online form they give you) til yesterday because I was waiting to hear from someplace else about dates.  But now I'm worried that because I waited so long to fill it out, I might not get an interview spot.  Is that a legitimate concern?  They say "spots are limited" but I wasn't sure if that referred to having an equal distribution between weekends or if they actually send out more interviews than they can accomodate.

From an outside perspective, I cannot imagine that they would offer you an interview and then rescind it. They were likely referring to the limitation of spots on certain weekends so as to prevent crowding. Relax. I'm sure you're fine :)

Did you fill it out before the deadline? Many programs tend to give you a date to respond by, and if you did before that date then I don't think you have anything to worry about. If it was after the date, maybe call the admissions office and apologize for the delay, and let them know how excited you are about the interview opportunity. Either way, you should be just fine.

Another one bites the dust. Got my WUSTL rejection this morning. Nothing I didn't already expect

On the same boat. And Wisconsin - madison for cancer =/ undoubtedly, the worst way to wake up.

Wow looks like a lot of notifications from grad schools already for the day...and I'm just sitting here refreshing my email. Next week should be interesting..

Ok this might be a dumb question, but does anyone have any idea when these programs would start? Fall 2014 seems a bit vague, and I can't find any info...I imagine each school would start at a different date. It'd be helpful for my PI to know in advance how long she has me for (IF I even get accepted. Big IF).

Edited by persimmony

Wow looks like a lot of notifications from grad schools already for the day...and I'm just sitting here refreshing my email. Next week should be interesting..

Ok this might be a dumb question, but does anyone have any idea when these programs would start? Fall 2014 seems a bit vague, and I can't find any info...I imagine each school would start at a different date. It'd be helpful for my PI to know in advance how long she has me for (IF I even get accepted. Big IF).

It depends.... one of my friends, who went to UC Santa Cruz, started after Labor Day.

My friend who went to Harvard (Public Health) did an early summer rotation, in July.

Purdue biochem students start about a week before classes I think, so early August.

My guess: As long as you don't do a summer rotation, /probably/ around the time the undergrads start is when you would start.

tuba250, to be honest the problem with international applicants is eligibility for funding.  There are a lot of funding opportunities open to American graduate students that simply aren't to international ones.

Also, to be honest, it makes sense that an American program is going to prioritize American students from a financial, legal, and ethical standpoint.

Rejected UChicago Cancer Biology.

Sorry to hear that :( Did you get an e-mail or did you check the admissions portal?

Has anyone heard from any of the UChicago unclustered (medical physics, health studies, biophysical sciences) programs? I've combed through results from previous years but I can't even determine their interview policy (some people interviewed, some people didn't, some people found out early January, some people found out March).

Sorry to hear that :( Did you get an e-mail or did you check the admissions portal?

Has anyone heard from any of the UChicago unclustered (medical physics, health studies, biophysical sciences) programs? I've combed through results from previous years but I can't even determine their interview policy (some people interviewed, some people didn't, some people found out early January, some people found out March).

I got an email that told me to check my portal.

tuba250, to be honest the problem with international applicants is eligibility for funding.  There are a lot of funding opportunities open to American graduate students that simply aren't to international ones.

Also, to be honest, it makes sense that an American program is going to prioritize American students from a financial, legal, and ethical standpoint.

I agree with you to some extent. If I were an american student,I would say the same thing.But if you think from a different perspective, you might understand a few things more. US school get more funding than most of the universities all around the world. So even the chance for an international student to get into one of those programs is less, it is still better than what they may get in their home country. Also,when an international student finds out that he/she has experienced the best which was available in their country, they think about exploring new place that offers better opportunity.So it is applicable to all countries which has good research facilities,not just America.And most importantly, it is the scientific community which is beyond all nationalities. If you carefully look at the faculty list of most of US grad schools, you would be surprised to see how many of them come from a different country. It must have been hard for them at the begining as well.But they worked and proved their worth.Some universities even proudly announce how many international students they have. It is all about trying to get the best regardless of the origin of the student. It may sound weird, but the truth is american programs are not just american anymore.