Working while in school

Virago

Hello. I was wondering if anyone out there has anything to say about working part-time while in school. I'll be working on my M.A. in the fall, taking 9 units so I think I will be able to handle a job on the side to get some income to cover living expenses, especially since the program isn't funded. So what do you guys think and what have been your experiences working a part-time or maybe even a full-time job while in school? Give me the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks

I am currently in an MA program and working full time.  Last year I took 12 units per term and worked 36 hours per week.  This year I will be taking 12 units per term, doing research, and hopefully working 30 hours per week so there's room for research.  It's a little tiring, but entirely possible.  Best case scenario is you get a job in your field so you can apply classroom knowledge.  If that isn't possible (it wasn't for me) then I'd pick something that isn't stressful, but still pays decently.

So overall I'd say the good is:  yes its possible and if it means borrowing way less money it is totally worth it.  The bad is:  you make several sacrifices mostly in your social life, time with family, and cleaning the house hehehe.  The ugly is:  if you don't schedule down time, eat well, or get enough sleep then it will catch up to you and you will regret it.  You can do so much more when you put your well being first.

first year i worked full time as a public school teacher, and had absolutely no life, was miserable etc, until i resigned.  second year i didnt work, and have no idea how I was able to work that first year....still had no life.  however, i was much happier.

that being said, yeah it's doable, but you might be completely miserable.  try it though--what's the worse that could happen?  you quit your job.

Unless your job relates to your graduate study (or could provide you insights for future research), the job will probably zap your energy otherwise slated for school work. Especially if it is full-time and/or you cannot chose the working hours! You might get frustrated that you have to go into work, when you have a lot of work for school to accomplish.

That said, money for life's expenses is useful, too. I firmly agree with Manierata:

try it though--what's the worse that could happen?  you quit your job.

I concur with Manierata and ArtHistoryandMuseum. I worked all throughout undergrad and it wasn't ever the issue some people make it out to be, however, I'm sure that graduate work is more demanding in comparison, I guess quitting is always an option if it ever becomes too overwhelming.

Thanks for your reply MsDarjeeling, I anticipate that I won't get the best sleep in the world in the next couple of years. I tend to prioritize socializing over sleeping, maybe I should change that, eye bags are not attractive. 

Tutoring sounds like a great idea Hegel's Bagels, I hadn't considered that. I've been tutoring the past two years, so that would definitely work out well. Thanks!

Edited by Virago

I would also consider finding a job in a hotel. 

Hotels are great because:

1. They are open 24 hours (lots of scheduling option and flexibility)

2. Health insurance and benefits depending on the amount of hours you work

3. Excellent discounts within the chain (sometimes $10/night for 4 star hotels across the globe)

4. There are many positions that require minimum brain and/or physical power (i.e. reception desk)

I worked for a hotel while in school and I had all of the benefits above.  As a receptionist working the night shift, I often had plenty of time to do some school reading and such on top of that.