Torn between my two undergraduate degrees

Hello,

I graduated from U of Michigan 6 months ago with dual majors in both English and Spanish.  While I've been thinking for the past few months that I would go into a program to focus on Renaissance Literature (in English, hopefully Ph.D), I can't help but feel like I'm really missing my Spanish (I started studying Portuguese, too, but that was in the early stages of introduction at Michigan). 

Before anyone suggests a Comparative Literature program, I must admit that I do not want to do that - not because it doesn't seem appealing as a study, but I don't want to sequester myself in a program that would not allow me a proper focus in one area or another (and thus, render myself unemployable to English and/or language departments).  From what I hear (and I'm sorry, Comp. Lit-ers, I love you, but I need a better guarantee of employment) Comparative Literature departments are on the fritz and are small, few and far in existence (and it will only get worse).

I'd like to do English because at the very least I could end up teaching composition and rhetoric and that is always a necessary job position.

But man, do I miss my languages.  To be clear, I don't think I could apply to a Spanish or Portuguese program as I never studied abroad (due to putting all my eggs in one basket with my heart set on a grant right out of undergraduate.  I know, it wasn't smart). 

Sigh.  So, I guess my question is - how often does one get to study languages within an English department?  This might be a terrifically dumb question.

Thanks, all.

The U.S. could use a better introduction to the awesome works created in Spain during the Renaissance. Lope de Vega was ten times the playwright that William Shakespeare was. Go into a straight Literature MA or PhD and have your area be Spanish Ren Lit. Not only will you carve out a less common niche for yourself academically (a boon when looking for jobs), you will also have the edge of already being very well acquainted with the language of the original texts. No text-in-translation for you! Not to mention the grant-funded research trips to Spain....

Oh, also, re: if people frequently study languages in English departments, any Medieval and Renaissance professor worth his or her spit probably knows Old English, Middle English, French, Latin, and maybe Anglo-Norman (at least to translating capability), so yeah, plenty of language study goes down in English departments. 

You might also want to look into auditing undergrad classes or trying to become a TA in the Spanish department of your university (if it's possible to TA in a different department).

I am in a similar position. I nearly completed a minor in Spanish then dropped it to focus on my major. I miss Spanish and have forgotten a lot of what I learned at school and will need to relearn it.

You def don't want to lose the Spanish you have worked so hard to acquire over the years. I hope you end up finding a good solution. 

Aw, thanks so much, you guys.  It's been recommended to me before that I chart out some kind of study that included "New World" lit.  I suppose it just seemed a little absurd to have any kind focus in another language...in an English department. 

It's also a little uncommon for professors to be more informed in both English AND Spanish works.  And that would not only be a very satisfying area but create more marketability.  I remember continually seeing a crossover of thematic issues in both English and Spanish classes.

Any word on good "straight Literature" programs?  I've only been looking at English thus far - wondering how to change my perspective, here :)

UC Santa Cruz's Literature program is inherently interdisciplinary, and I also know that they emphasize second language mastery in their application process. Perhaps they may be a good fit?

Just curious here, but why would you think that a Comparative Lit degree would reduce your chances of employment? Lots of Comp Lit PhDs end up teaching in English Departments in the end if English literature is one of their fields of specialty. 

Also, the employment prospects coming out of a program like UCSC Literature or Duke Literature aren't going to be any better than those of a Comp Lit. program. Berkeley, for example, has placed a good 13 Comp Lit PhDs in English departments over the last 8 or 9 years. 

Edited by poliscar

Comparative Literature is a far more competitive field with a lower amount of jobs available than an English PhD., in a diminishing academic environment.  Granted, I know that I'm searching for an academic profession and that's not really stretching my prospects initially.  But I'm also looking toward what the future of academia is likely to be eventually.

I've also heard over and over again from Comparative Literature doctorates that they are unsatisfied due to having divided future employment prospects and interests. 

Well clearly you didn't read my post. 

That much is obvious. I'm bored and used to care about comparative literature so I googled around a bit.  repentwalpurgis, you might try doing such a search but, here are some links:

http://englishcomplit.unc.edu/english/job-placement-record (yes, the divide it between English and Comp Lit when listing placement. Also, note that they only list academic placements, and not other types of employment their graduates have which is kinda lame)

http://complit.as.nyu.edu/object/complit.grad.job

http://complit.la.psu.edu/grad-prosp.shtml (scroll to the bottom of the page)

http://cscl.umn.edu/grad/clPositions.html

http://www.complit.northwestern.edu/graduate/placement.html

http://www.humanities.uci.edu/complit/graduate/Placement.php

Those are from the first two pages of the search result. Surely, you could and should do better if you're actually considering a graduate degree in these areas.

• 1 month later...

I know you´re concerned about job security, but perhaps you should consider working in translation, which is what I do. Given your language skills, it might be right up your alley. A couple of schools have recently added an M.A. in Translation (Rochester and U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign). This leads me to think it´s a growing field in the U.S. (I live in Mexico.) I saw at least two universities (IU and UIUC) that had certificates in Translation within their Ph.D. programs, so that´s another possibility. That way you could teach and do literary translation. Lastly, just because you speak Spanish doesn´t mean you need to limit yourself to Spain. There are over twenty Spanish-speaking countries in the world and many of them, Mexico included, have been producing worthwhile literature for a long time. If you wanted to immerse yourself in a culture, Latin America is a good option. (By the way, despite the drawbacks you mention, I´m interested in U. of Michigan´s Comp. Lit. program, so if you have any comments about that, I¨m all ears.)

Repentwalpurgis: Comp lit jobs are indeed few and far between, but comp lit programs can be a very good option. In effect, comp lit departments have recognized that the job market is shifting back to narrowly-defined national literatures, and have responded by requiring their students to prepare a narrower teaching focus in a national literature or in a related, coherent field (i.e. gender studies, film studies, etc). Indeed, a lot of comp lit programs have *higher* placement records than their national literature equivalents; for example U Penn's comp lit program has placed more people in (good!) German programs than has their actual German department. In other words, it's very possible to come out of a comp lit program as a highly marketable candidate for a particular national literature; applying to comp lit will allow you to defer that decision for a little bit and also to bring in an interdisciplinary element while maintaining a coherent focus.

So, despite your interdiction, I'd recommend that you look into comp lit!

(Another option is to look into schools like Columbia, where you apply into a nat'l literature but indicate a "comparative" track; at UPenn e.g. it is the opposite: you apply to the Comp. Lit program and then choose a national "specialization." Two ways of getting at the same thing.)

Wow, I have to say that I really appreciate everyone keeping this thread up and running.  As an academic, the expansive mind feels betrayed once you feel the need to narrow your focus, so this support has been great. 

I just wanted to say to poliscar and rising_star that I did indeed read the initial post, and I'm sorry that you might have felt I didn't regard your efforts appropriately. 

Declaring an adamancy against comparative literature programs was reductive to begin.  However, statistics like this don't give me much hope ("Berkeley, for example, has placed a good 13 Comp Lit PhDs in English departments over the last 8 or 9 years").  But, the good amount of information in rising_star's post that gave me a little more fresh perspective.  Just been wondering what other options I could create for myself, too. 

To be honest, I have been looking more and more into M.A.'s as sort intermediary for the Ph.D.  I don't imagine that I will apply to a Comp Lit program to begin, but once I feel that my focus is more sound, I may go for Comp Lit in the future - Bennett, really appreciate the perspective from a Comp Lit student.  Do you like it so far?  Lady Rowena, PMing you!

repentwalpurgis, I can totally sympathize.  I double-majored in English and Spanish, minored in French, and have been in Korea for the past year on a Fulbright (and will be here until summer 2014).  I'd love to find a program that will allow me flexible/interdisciplinary possibilities, but I don't feel confident enough in any of my foreign languages to apply for a straight Spanish/French/Korean or Asian studies program.  Never studying abroad for Spanish or French was a mistake - I'm good, but not fluent.  And Korean is much more difficult than Romance languages, so I'm doubtful that I'll be anywhere near fluency even by the end of my second year in Korea, unfortunately...  

Anyway, the point is, we're in at least sort of the same boat.  Perhaps we can compare notes as the application cycle goes on.

Lady Rowena, thanks for bringing up the literary translation programs.  I'm more inclined toward completing an MA before a PhD, and literary translation would be fascinating.  

ktlynnjoy, major congrats on the Fulbright!  Applied for one in my last year of undergrad and did not get it (eggs, one basket).  Never studying abroad was definitely such a mistake - have you looked into ciee programs at all?  I think I might apply to one next year.  I currently teach ESL about 25 hours/week  so I've been getting a ton of teaching experience.  A great excuse to go abroad and extend my skills there as well!  However, I really miss learning about languages.  Teaching the ins-and-outs of ENGLISH grammar, writing, and reading is truly not what I want to do for life.

Lately I've been leaning toward the idea of applying to several MA Literature programs, and perhaps a translation program too, and seeing where that takes me.  In my perfect vision, next year I'm abroad somewhere in a Spanish speaking country, and hopefully coming home to a graduate program.  But damn, that's a strong ideal - we'll see. 

PM me and let me know what's up!

Edited by repentwalpurgis

I've been thinking about this a lot. I have two BAs, English and sociology, and I love them both. The dream is to secure a tenure-track position where I can work in the sociology of literature area. Most people doing this are sociologists, but I think I have a better shot going via English. The reality is that I need a multi-faceted record of graduate work. Academia may not be hiring. Or they might not hire me. I have to figure out how to develop my research, dissertation, published papers, and so on in a way that appeals to the type of university I'd like to work for (dream job!), to the government (I have some "ins" there), to the private sector, and internationally. I also have to figure out how to do all of this in a way that satisfies me, too. It will be challenging and I will require an advanced degree in sociology. They have to know I know my methodology.

Spanish is one of the largest languages and there a lot of opportunities in the, um, thinking/analyzing job market for those who can not only get at the heart of the language, but the culture as well. Literature sets people up to understand the culture of the people the works come from. For example, if Company A wants to enter the market in Mexico, they hire people, usually another business, to figure out how to bring their product/service into the market in a way that will be embraced by the locals, so they can profit. While researching universities, research the various jobs you can do so you can select programs not only for their academics, but for their ability to help you develop your non-academia cred.

• 3 weeks later...