Fall 2014 Season

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, all.

I am also applying this year, mostly to MA programs. While not nailed down, my interests generally orbit Latin & Greek grammatical decisions in descriptions of place and race.

I took the GRE already, but must take it again due to scores expiring this semester. (Alas.)

I've also been dragging my feet when it comes to talking to potential recommenders, having only officially asked one of three. Anyone else having problems gaining the necessary courage?

Great question. I was just today revisiting my list. The definites/not-leaving-the-list-ever for the MA are: Colorado, Maryland, Vanderbilt, WUStL, and Texas at Austin. Notre Dame and Boston College keep bouncing on and off the list. I'm applying to a few PhDs as well, but I'm slightly underprepared in one of the languages, which is why I'm aiming toward MAs to boost my skills. Do you have any suggestions of programs to add? I'd love to hear some more opinions.

How about you? I know CU and Notre Dame are strong in late antiquity. How's your list looking?

Hey guys,

I'm applying to MAs as well. Furcifera, if you think your application is strong, I would consider applying to Florida and maybe even FSU. They tend to fund most of their MAs. I'm also applying to Colorado, as well as UF, FSU, and for the MAT at UMASS Amherst. I thought about applying to Maryland, but I wanted to move a little farther from home.

Edited by wiley89

Hey, Wiley!

Glad to have someone in my boat. Thanks for the tip re: UF and FSU. I wasn't even aware the University of Florida had such a program! I've met a few of the FSU professors; they seemed like very active and exciting researchers. That list of MA Alumnae/i is putting me off, a little... either they've been a bit lax about keeping up with their graduates and updating the website or not many have moved on to PhD programs. I'm guessing it's the former, though.

I'll admit that some shallower aspects (like a particularly helpful/unhelpful website) often affect my list. Anyone been attracted to any particularly encouraging websites or put off by the opposite?

I appreciate the websites that are up front about their admission requirements. A lot of programs seem kind of coy about what they want in their applicants. If more people apply because they're not sure how competitive their app is, the program gets to raise it's selectivity rating. I dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh...

Furcifera and BAW, I'm also applying to MAs.  I wasn't a classics major as an undergrad, and I'm not sure I want to do a PhD, so for both of those reasons I'm sticking with MA programs this time around.  I'm looking at a lot of the same programs you guys are.  I'm definitely applying to Kentucky, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Notre Dame. I may add one or more of Colorado, WUSTL, FSU, UF, and Minnesota.  I've heard good things about the MA programs at Kansas and Arizona, both of which have funding, I believe, though I'd prefer not to move that far from family.  Furcifera, I didn't know Texas accepted MA-only applicants.  Or are you applying for the PhD there?

As far as websites go, yeah, I'm a fan of clear admissions requirements, especially as a non-classics major.  And faculty pages with CVs are pretty helpful too.

Oh, whoops. You're right. You apply directly to the MA, but with the expectation that you'll continue onto the PhD.

I definitely spend a lot of time on faculty pages, especially of the younger faculty members whom I haven't come across in my reading. I also appreciate blatant teaching opportunities: first years TA a lecture course, have a recitation, etc. I'm trying to get as much teaching experience as I can, so vague statements like: "We try to fund most of our students through fellowships or teaching assistantships," are a bit offputting.

Has anyone heard anything about the Tulane program? I certainly wouldn't mind spending two years in Louisiana, and they do fund, but, because it's run concurrently with a 4+1 BA-to-MA program and accepts students with only one year (or possibly no years!) of a second language, I fear it won't be very strenuous.

Has anyone heard anything about the Tulane program? I certainly wouldn't mind spending two years in Louisiana, and they do fund, but, because it's run concurrently with a 4+1 BA-to-MA program and accepts students with only one year (or possibly no years!) of a second language, I fear it won't be very strenuous.

The requirements do seem kind of lax, but funding is funding so there will probably be competition. I feel like the strenuousness of the program will be affected by students in your class just as much as the program requirements. 

Do either of you have an opinion on contacting professors as potential advisors? I don't want to mention anyone in my research proposal without knowing if they'd be open to working with me. I figured I could ask politely if they were taking on students next fall. For a few profs, I'm using their work in a paper I'm writing, so I thought I could mention that and ask a question.

I'm applying to a few PhDs as well, but I'm slightly underprepared in one of the languages, which is why I'm aiming toward MAs to boost my skills. Do you have any suggestions of programs to add? I'd love to hear some more opinions.

I'd add the University of Kansas to your list. It is a good department with decent funding ($14,000 for 9 months, which goes very far in Lawrence, KS). Their graduate students tend to get into some good programs (at least those who want to pursue a PhD). You will probably also find the professors willing to work with you on getting your underprepared language up to snuff. Tony Corbeill is working on a book focused on grammatical gender right now, so you might even find him to be excited about working on the (rather specific sounding) topic you mentioned.

Thanks, BAW & Canator.

BAW-- I'm not sure. My gut says yes, to feel out the situation. I've been able to meet with or email a few of the professors from some of the schools I'm applying to-- I'm more sure of my fit at those places. I wouldn't suggest emailing now, though-- it's the beginning of the semester, full of crazy schedules and an incessant exhaustion.

Canator -- Thanks for the suggestion! I'm scouring the site now. Is there a place where you can check out some past students? This is one of those times where I wish the website was a smidge more engaged... As to my topic-- it's my way of saying I want to do philology-level study on various histories & ethnographies, with various tacks. But when I mention the specific texts I want to study, some people expect me to be history track. Usually mentioning the grammar research reminds them I'm going philology.

How about you? Any particular time period, subject material, etc? Type of program?

• 1 month later...

Anybody still around?  How are applications coming?

I've almost finalized my list of schools.  I still need to secure one more letter of recommendation.  And I'm working on statements of purpose.  Since I'm applying to all MA programs, I'm trying to strike that delicate balance between the general and specific: I don't want to sound like I know exactly what I want to do, but I also want to demonstrate that I have good reasons for applying to any MA program in classics and, in particular, to each program I've selected.  PhD SoPs seem a bit easier to navigate in that respect.

Heck, all the power to you for starting the cursed thing. I don't even have a draft to forge a better SoP from, yet. I do have the letters sorted and GREs completed (blargh) and a final list of schools selected. I still need to finish up my writing sample and work up the courage for the SoP.

I actually asked two professors how to handle an MA statement of purpose as opposed to those of the PhD variety. Their advice was to elucidate areas of interest, instead of discussing possible projects. Take it or leave it.

I expect things on here won't take off until admission decisions start trickling in. Or maybe a month before, at which time we group-translate Vergil into Klingon to alleviate otherwise disabling anxiety.

Furcifera, that's essentially what one of my recommenders suggested for MA SoPs, so that's what I'm doing.  I'm also not naming names.  And regarding Klingon, I learned yesterday that this exists -- but perhaps I am behind the times.

Clelinare, I'm applying to six MA programs (no PhDs).  It may be too few, but I don't want to spend too much on application fees, and I'm not terribly interested in programs other than the ones on my list anyway.  What about you?

• 1 month later...

I'm verklempt. Vandy seems to have suspended their MA admissions for this year. Their funding, emphasis on travel, and location (hell yeah, Nashville) had made them a top pick for me. Also, nixing it at the end of the season seems a bit uncouth, considering that most applicants (myself included) will have paid for GRE scores, transcripts, and what not to go out. At least I found out before I paid the application fee.

Sorry for the rant. I'm sure the Vanderbilt Classics professors, students, and program assistants are the worst off in this scenario, if the program closes, but I'm still disappointed.

Hope everyone's applications are finished or going swimmingly; I have just one more to submit.

Wow, that is (unpleasant) news to me, and I'd already sent GRE scores. Seems like they could have notified people with applications in progress rather than simply posting one sentence on the website. Thanks for posting; I might have missed it otherwise. I guess procrastination pays off sometimes, since they're the one place I hadn't written an SoP for.