Fall 2014 Season

Pretty sure that means they were invited via email to do the interview, and not that email is the mode of the interview. Could definitely be wrong, though.

That was me, and that's correct - I got a request by e-mail for a Skype interview by the faculty member who read my file (my POI is not on the committee, it seems).  I was confused at first because, as I'm sure those asking have seen, Stanford doesn't seem to do interviews.  It just seems that this professor will be asking about my research, though, as happened by e-mail with the poster earlier; I'd imagine it's the particular professor's preference how he or she gets the information (or perhaps something I said was unclear)?

That was me, and that's correct - I got a request by e-mail for a Skype interview by the faculty member who read my file (my POI is not on the committee, it seems).  I was confused at first because, as I'm sure those asking have seen, Stanford doesn't seem to do interviews.  It just seems that this professor will be asking about my research, though, as happened by e-mail with the poster earlier; I'd imagine it's the particular professor's preference how he or she gets the information (or perhaps something I said was unclear)?

Thanks for replying. Yes, I was a bit confused because I also thought Stanford didn't do interviews. I guess they let each prof contact the students they want to work with during this time before the adcomm convenes.

I agree with Frucifera on the wording of "interview via email."

Hnurgh, heard back from a POI who nicely told me, "I read your application.  Looks great.  Except you're gonna get screwed by Greek, you know that, right?  Adcom's not going to like the fact that you only have two years."  Oh well.  Whoosh go my hopes!

(But really...I do western medieval.  I know I only had two years of Greek, but I was still holding out hope based on the fact that I've been taking graduate level courses in Latin since I was a junior in college.  Time for a post-bacc, I guess?)

I think post-bacc would be a stretch in that situation, especially if you're applying for Late Latin. Hopefully not all the adcoms will agree with this POI, but if they do-- did you apply to any masters programs where you might buff up your Greek? And if you didn't, is there a university nearby where you can audit Greek courses? As has been said, though-- a project that intrigues might trump other considerations, and it seems you've already drummed up some interest. Definitely let us know how it goes!

Edited by Furcifera

I think post-bacc would be a stretch in that situation, especially if you're applying for Late Latin. Hopefully not all the adcoms will agree with this POI, but if they do-- did you apply to any masters programs where you might buff up your Greek? And if you didn't, is there a university nearby where you can audit Greek courses? As has been said, though-- a project that intrigues might trump other considerations, and it seems you've already drummed up some interest. Definitely let us know how it goes!

Yeah, I have a MA program in my list where I can improve my Greek.  I also have a couple of nearby unis, but I think their semesters have already started and it's too late for me to do anything til next year, by which point I hope to already be in a MA or PhD program.  I've also been looking into summer intensives, but it seems like most of them start at beginning Greek.  I'd like to improve my Greek, not to repeat the Greek that I've already had.  The POI I was talking to had a point--it will be hard to find enough time to pursue my other interests if I have to slog through Greek.  

Honestly, I'm applying to a pretty eclectic mix of programs across a range of departments based on faculty interests.  I double majored in Classics and Medieval Studies (hence not having enough time to take all the Greek I really should have taken), so hopefully if Classics departments don't think I'm prepared enough in the language arena, some other department will go, "Latin, German, OE, and some Greek?  We'll take her."  Fingers crossed, at least.  The problem is that I was a bit more confident about getting into Classics programs (and this program in particular) than History/Art History programs.  If I'm not prepared for a Classics program, I don't like the implication for my chances at all of the other places I applied.

People do get into top programs with only two years of Greek and nearly all programs explicitly say that they require two years of the weaker language as a minimum. I have a friend who got into Cornell with only two years. So your language preparation is by no means a deal-breaker.

Edited by Statianus

As a follow-up concerning the Stanford "interview," the professor mentioned that each member of the committee reaches out to a couple students for more information before they form the short list, and the committee will meet next week.

I got the impression that the professor didn't feel the program was the best fit for me, though, which is disappointing because I felt it was a good fit for my interests.

As a follow-up concerning the Stanford "interview," the professor mentioned that each member of the committee reaches out to a couple students for more information before they form the short list, and the committee will meet next week.

I got the impression that the professor didn't feel the program was the best fit for me, though, which is disappointing because I felt it was a good fit for my interests.

Thanks for the info!

Invited to visit Yale. I will need to seriously consider this because I am teaching Latin at the moment and missing three days is quite a financial loss. I feel very privileged for this opportunity and very very excited to meet the faculty, but it does come at an inopportune time for me. Does anyone know how important these campus visits are? Professor Bakker said they were inviting 16 people and I assume they need to narrow this down quite a bit. 

Invited to visit Yale. I will need to seriously consider this because I am teaching Latin at the moment and missing three days is quite a financial loss. I feel very privileged for this opportunity and very very excited to meet the faculty, but it does come at an inopportune time for me. Does anyone know how important these campus visits are? Professor Bakker said they were inviting 16 people and I assume they need to narrow this down quite a bit. 

Congratulations!! I think if you are invited to visit, you should make every effort to go. Of course, if it's not possible, that's more than understandable. I have no idea if they will hold it against you. Missing the visit per se probably isn't an issue, but they might take it as a sign that you're not super interested in them. My advice is to go if at all possible if you are serious about them.

Thanks Chelone. I think I will go but will need to check with my faculty whether they can give me three days off. I am definitely interested.

I hope it works out with your schedule, amice. Best of luck to you, and again, my sincere congratulations! 

Congrats to those who received the Yale and Princeton interviews! Would you say that if you did not hear from them yet, your chances are pretty much shot? I would think that they would send out most of the interview invites on the same day?? 

Congrats to those who received the Yale and Princeton interviews! Would you say that if you did not hear from them yet, your chances are pretty much shot? I would think that they would send out most of the interview invites on the same day?? 

I wouldn't lose hope yet.

Petros-- Seems a lot of programs are early. (I didn't apply to UGA, though. Sorry for no news.)

Marcus_Tullius-- According to previous UT-A data on the results search, it does look like they usually accept everyone at once, however this is quite early for them. Don't completely discount yourself before you have direct word from the school one way or another, but in this case no news is probably not good news. :(.