Asian Studies 2014

Tomoe, are you applying to masters programs or doctoral programs? 

Ragunz, I am interested in modern Korean history too! :D  Good luck! 

p.s. I am at UChicago right now and know a few students in MAPSS! 

Edit: Oh wait, nvm Tomoe I see you are applying to PhD programs. Good luck! 

Edited by MastersHoping

Do MA programs also interview candidates?

didn't know about this website until now, and it is great to see that there are other people applying to EAS programs!

I have applied to MA in columbia EALAC, harvard, UIUC, and Uchicago (MAPSS), focusing on modern korean history.

wish i had more time to apply to schools in westcoast, but deadlines were too tight in there ;x

I'm not sure, I know that they didn't interview me for Columbia. But I hope you get in, I know tons of amazing people in the Korean Studies Department! 

And good luck to you too, MastersHoping!!

Hi mastershoping, thanks and good luck to you too!

Yea i heard about MAPSS from my graduate friends at UIUC (where i recently graduated), both postive and negative feedbakcs haha. I guess you've already taken courses from Cumings? (so jealous!)

what part of modern korean history are you interested in? mine is rather broad at this point, but mostly interested in political and transnational ones.

btw, are you guys all planning on applying for FLAS ?

Edited by ragunz

I never actually completed a course from Cumings. He taught a class about 20th-century Asian wars but I only went to the first week before changing to a different class :P

I'm not sure what exactly, I kinda just want a broad background rather than become a super expert in a particular topic.

Stanford has a FLAS application on its website but I didn't fill it out. I probably don't qualify because my language skills are not up to par.

I received an email from Princeton a week or so ago saying that they wanted to transfer my application to the Comparative Lit Department. And I had a phone interview with my POI from UCLA last week, he said that the department is meeting at the end of the month and I should hear by then. I think we won't start hearing until the end of next week/beginning of February at the earliest... 

I know what you mean though, the wait is killing me too!

Did that person at UCLA contact you for an interview after you submitted your application? If so, that's good news for you, no?

Yes, I'd exchanged emails with him during the application process and then he called to clarify a few things about my background and interests after I'd sent in the application.

I hope it's a good sign but I don't want to get too excited yet in case it doesn't work out. I think it means that he's interested in working with me, but my understanding of the process is that the final stage is a kind of trading cards exchange between the entire department where they work out how many people each side can field... So I'm cautiously excited ^.^;;

I'm applying for EALC as well, PhD, my interest is in 1930s/40s Chinese literature, specifically looking at representations of body and disease. I'm dying waiting for results - anyone have any notion of when we can expect to hear from the likes of Berkeley, Columbia and UCLA? Looking at past results, February seems the key month, but Columbia seems to wait until March for some applicants.

^is that February mostly for the PhD applicants, or does that apply to people applying for Masters as well?

Also, does anyone know what a competitive profile for a fellowship (even a partial one!) at the masters level looks like? Would my GRE scores (163v 162q 5.0w) be seen as  competitive? 

Thanks, yatto! As for the pre-modern, early modern, and modern breakdown, do you mean at Columbia?

Nope, I mean your own interests! :) It's always exciting to see other Japanese Lit people.

Haha, oh I see ^.^;;

I'm doing premodern lit for my MA, but I want to do something a bit more ambitious for my PhD. Basically, I want to examine the ways in which certain warrior narratives, in Japan and the Middle East, undergo politically motivated alteration and adaptation from the pre-modern period till the early 20th century. 

What are you interested in?

Edited by Tomoe

Saw an acceptance posted for PhD in EALC at Stanford this morning. If that goes to someone who posts/lurks in this thread, congratulations! Also, saw OSU and UT Austin MA acceptances posted. More congrats :D

As much as I hate the waiting, I'm still pretty excited to see people getting into places they applied.

Best of luck to us while we anxiously wait...

Has anyone else been invited to the Stanford interview thing on February 6th and 7th?

I ended up deciding not to send an application to Stanford (their application fee was like $125, no?). I kind of wish I had, only so I would have heard something by now!? Things seem to be looking really good for you Tomoe-san! ナイス!

Edited by drfuzz

Hey Tomoe, good luck during the interview weekend! I applied to Stanford, but for MA - you are applying for phd programs, right? I haven't heard anything yet (from anywhere /cry), but super pleased to see interviews and acceptances rolling out for fellow EAS peeps.

Hello everyone! Was just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about these Stanford weekends? I received an offer of admission from my POI at Stanford a couple of days ago but there was no mention about any campus visits. Thanks in advance! 

Hi MastersHoping; thanks a lot! I certainly do feel relieved, as well as more than a little surprised. Good luck with your apps! If you don't mind me asking, where are you applying?