Asian Studies 2014

Got a feeling that peeps'll hear something today. No reason for this (other than pure hope driven by the insanity of the wait, and probably accentuated by the amount of coffee I've already had this morning).

Good luck to all!

Congratulations, Nong! If that's an acceptance, haha...;)

Not really sure where I stand with Berkeley then. I also applied for the Asian studies MA, but I didn't get a rejection notice (when several were posted last week), but also haven't heard acceptance yet. Seems like they have a mysterious way of handling decisions and notifications ;)

Edited by saltome

On 2/6/2014 at 10:44 AM, MastersHoping said:

^Did you get in? If so, congrats! Berkeley is no joke :)

Yeah, thanks! Still waiting to hear back from WashU (East Asian Studies) and Harvard (RSEA)

Best wishes to whoever else applied to Berkeley! keep us updated! 

Congratulations!

I've got a friend in a (non-Asian studies) MA program there so I know some about the campus and the area. Can't speak to the classes or professors or anything, though ^^;  I had a couple professors in undergrad who did their PhDs at Oregon in Japan Studies and they were great. But Eugene is a great college town, the campus is really pretty, it's not a super expensive place to live, lots of great coffee and food, students ride the bus for free. Portland's just a couple hours away, and it's also a great city (full disclosure: as a Seattleite, I'm bound by law to say Seattle is better. Seattle is better, but Portland's still pretty cool). You might think about investing in a good rain jacket, cause if you're out walking for like, 20 minutes, you're gonna get damp (and for those times when it does actually rain). A good rain-proof backpack is also a necessity. I recommend Chrome (hipster camouflage!), and another friend bought a Seal Line bag when his other bag got destroyed by a rain storm. 

Edited by skylarking

Congrats on those who heard their adimissions!

I just got an offer from UIUC - (EALC MA), so anyone who has applied there should hear soon.

still waiting on harvar / columbia like many of you tho.. good luck to you all!

Heyas Ragunz, Congrats!

I'm also sitting on an acceptance from UIUC (EALC MA/PHD track), and am pretty excited about getting it. Was the first place I heard from a couple weeks ago. Then a dry spell until today: Heard from U of Michigan ALC PhD -- they forwarded my app to their MA program, which was a bummer (but still great, since they didn't throw out my app altogether, haha). Since I applied to a couple PhD programs while only holding a BA in EAS, I didn't really expect to get acceptances.

Good luck to all, and christ, I hope to hear something more from my other schools soon! ;) The wait is killing me.

Thanks, MastersHoping! Yeah, the winters will be harsh, but I grew up in Minnesota, so it'll feel like (a warm) home =p

Today was busy for me...just received news from Berkeley: I am on their waitlist (for the Asian Studies MA)! I am super thrilled :D

I really wish I applied to these places that sent out decisions already!!! (i.e. washington, berkeley, uiuc, cornell) 

Minnesota eh? Guess it won't be too different for you! :P 

If I don't go somewhere warm for masters (hopefully I won't because my first choice is in the northeast) then I definitely plan to move to a milder climate after graduating!!! 

Edited by MastersHoping

I really wish I applied to these places that sent out decisions already!!! (i.e. washington, berkeley, uiuc, cornell) 

Hahaha, I hear ya.....every time EAS / EALC MA or PhD goes up on the results board, I check the school and think "I could have known by now...." Even worse, though, is when a school you applied to sends out results (either good or bad), and you got nothing...makes the wait intolerable.

hey saltome, congrats to you too and wish you the best luck for berkeley!  I guess there is a chance we might be see each other at uiuc haha. 

Thanks mastershoping! , and yes, i really wish i had some more time to apply to those schools as well (esp schools on west coast)

by the way I fully agree that winter at illinois could be overwhelming sometimes..just been through one snowstorm a month ago  xD   

hey saltome, congrats to you too and wish you the best luck for berkeley!  I guess there is a chance we might be see each other at uiuc haha. 

Thanks mastershoping! , and yes, i really wish i had some more time to apply to those schools as well (esp schools on west coast)

by the way I fully agree that winter at illinois could be overwhelming sometimes..just been through one snowstorm a month ago  xD

Thanks, Ragunz! And yeah, definitely still a chance we'll see each other at UIUC ;)

Did people hear back from UIUC by email?

Yeah, I heard through email - first from my potential advisor, then from the department. But that was a couple weeks ago now, and some people are just recently being notified, so it seems they aren't sending out all notices at once. Good luck!

my case was that i was just notified by email, with letter included.

no advisor contacted me beforehand and i am guessing that is because i applied as MA candidate.

but yea, i agree with saltome that they are still sending out the decisions

Grats, gimmethatfunding!! That's terrific news.

Based on your username, I'd say they have an obligation to award you the FLAS. :)

But really, no idea how to gauge who receives FLAS. Good luck, I hope you get it -- it's a fantastic award. What language are you continuing / starting?