Asian Studies 2014

Just heard from Fulbright today... wasn't recommended to go further.

I am simultaneously disappointed and a little relieved. 

At least now if I get into a good program, I won't have to worry about turning it down for Fulbright! :D 

Stay strong everyone, only a month or so more of waiting!

Sorry to hear that steelkokoro! 

And no, I have yet to hear. :(

Berkeley is probably the earliest one. 

Last year UCLA released admissions on Feb. 20th, and Yale usually gives decisions out around the second week of March.

I'm getting nervouser and nervouser (not a word I know arghh) by the day! 

Edited by MastersHoping

MastersHoping: Sorry to hear about Fulbright, but I'm sure it's just a sign for future grad school success ;) 

steelkokoro: So sorry to hear about Berkeley. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you (and everyone else) during the rest of the process. 

any of the guys here know how the situation is in europe?

i have an M.A. in India studies and i am focused on FP and IR, i'm considering Edinburgh's South Asia Studies PhD, Kings College India Research PhD, and CeMIS at Gottingen University on Germany, any ideas?

Just heard back from SUNY Binghamton, and it's a go! :D 

They were my safety but it's definitely nice to hear back from somewhere.

Pretty excited and can't wait to see what other results there will be this month and next! 

Hey, would anyone be interested in reading my Statement of Purpose for my first-choice grad school and tell me what they think?

I mean, it's too late now to change it but some reassurance if it's well written would be nice, or helpful critique to improve for the next time would be just fine as well. 

I'm new to this thread, and I guess a little late for discussing applications. I applied to Columbia, Harvard and Princeton for East Asian Studies - Chinese History (Modern) PhD. Anyone know when you normally hear back from those schools? Is there always an interview process? I was accepted to Columbia for the MA in EALAC a few years ago, and there was no interview for that...

I did my undergrad at Bard College in Chinese and my Masters in IR and Chinese at the Johns Hopkins SAIS - Nanjing University Center. Good luck to everyone!

For the masters programs at those schools, they generally start trickling in around mid to late February up until mid March. I imagine that PhDs admit sooner. Check the results page to see when people have received notifications in previous years. 

any of the guys here know how the situation is in europe?

i have an M.A. in India studies and i am focused on FP and IR, i'm considering Edinburgh's South Asia Studies PhD, Kings College India Research PhD, and CeMIS at Gottingen University on Germany, any ideas?

I did my undergraduate degree in Japanese at Edinburgh. I can't say anything about the South Asia Studies Program, but I absolutely loved living there. It's a wonderful city!

The acceptance that was posted today was mine but it was an email from my POI. He said I won't get the official response until possibly next week so don't worry if you haven't heard anything yet! 

I saw a couple acceptance posts for Asian Studies at Oregon / Japan Studies at Washington - Big Ups!

I wonder if whomever posted those could say which department they are from? Are they from the (East) Asian Languages department or somewhere different?

If it's Japan Studies at UW, it's the Jackson School of International Studies, which is totally separate from Asian Languages and Lit :) No idea when Asian L&L makes their decisions, but JSIS is between now and early March. 

Congrats to the new admits! If you have questions about JSIS, feel free to PM me! I'm there now (won't say which program or I'll completely out myself) and I adore it.

Steelkokoro, おめでとうございます! Best start enjoying the cheap and delicious sen-cha while its still readily available at your local...I don't know what the local supermarket in Kansai is, but nonetheless, congrats!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

Edited by Hige

tortallknight:

Gahhh good luck! UCLA just might be my second choice (after Yale ) 

I grew up in the cold weather, and to have LA weather for a year, that'd be pretty nice though

I'm kinda wishing I applied to U-W, just so I could've heard back by now :P