American Studies 2014

Does anyone know what's going on with NYU? I've heard nothing as of today. Should I expect the worst?

Also wondering about NYU.  At this point, I'm also expecting the worse, especially since there was already an acceptance a couple weeks ago.  Has anyone else heard anything?

Hey all, just discovered this forum! Congrats to all with good news!

I just received admission to USC on 2/14! I've heard nothing about the department being dissolved. They've offered me a strong funding package, so it seems the program is going strong. Also, received my rejection from Rutgers on 2/7.

Edited by bxfemme

Hey all, just discovered this forum! Congrats to all with good news!

I just received admission to USC on 2/14! I've heard nothing about the department being dissolved. They've offered me a strong funding package, so it seems the program is going strong. Also, received my rejection from Rutgers on 2/7.

Congrats bxfemme!!!! They only accepted 7 people!  

Hi! I'm kind of late to the game, but I applied to NYU's PhD in Amst. I'm kind of with everyone else who hasn't heard anything and I'm fearing the worst. I've already gotten one rejection (Rutgers WGS PhD), but I was hoping NYU might work out better for me since they make you do their MA coursework even if you've already got a graduate degree of some kind (I applied pending my graduation in May from undergrad). I'm really nervous, but oh well.

Did anyone in this thread also apply to Brown's Modern Culture & Media or did people stick to their Amst PhD? Throwing it out there!

Congrats to everybody so far! Super stoked for you (if a bit jealous :P).

Hi! I'm kind of late to the game, but I applied to NYU's PhD in Amst. I'm kind of with everyone else who hasn't heard anything and I'm fearing the worst. I've already gotten one rejection (Rutgers WGS PhD), but I was hoping NYU might work out better for me since they make you do their MA coursework even if you've already got a graduate degree of some kind (I applied pending my graduation in May from undergrad). I'm really nervous, but oh well.

Did anyone in this thread also apply to Brown's Modern Culture & Media or did people stick to their Amst PhD? Throwing it out there!

Congrats to everybody so far! Super stoked for you (if a bit jealous :P).

I stuck with AmSt at Brown… Modern Culture and Media sounds interesting though!  I didn't look into that program at all.

Yeah, best of luck to everyone!  I have a feeling this week might bring a lot of news.

According to the results search, there's been an acceptance for UT Austin American Studies posted and a rejection posted as well...however, my application status still says "Under Review." :unsure:

Does anyone know if UT Austin has already sent out all acceptances? Should I lose hope?

According to the results search, there's been an acceptance for UT Austin American Studies posted and a rejection posted as well...however, my application status still says "Under Review." :unsure:

Does anyone know if UT Austin has already sent out all acceptances? Should I lose hope?

Got a rejection from them last week. Didn't post it though. I don't really see any kind of pattern there so you should still hope for the best! :)

Has anyone heard anything from William&Mary btw? I think they originally said they would make their decisions in early March. 

Edited by SaschaA

Got a rejection from them last week. Didn't post it though. I don't really see any kind of pattern there so you should still hope for the best! :)

Has anyone heard anything from William&Mary btw? I think they originally said they would make their decisions in early March. 

Sorry to hear about the rejection, Sascha. Glad to know you have other acceptances to fall back on! I have some IRL friends who applied to William & Mary American Studies, and they haven't heard anything yet. I don't think any decisions have gone out yet, and I wouldn't expect to hear anything for another week at least.

Edited by hj2012

Yes!  Just got my flight itinerary settled.  Love the program, but hadn't ever pictured myself living in Minnesota so excited to visit.  

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you then.  I've been to the Twin Cities a couple times and I really like it.

i guess there's still no word on NYU then? anyone got any info?

I haven't heard anything about NYU :/ and I've kind of lost hope on that one.  Anyone else?  The results page has been surprisingly quiet this year, no interviews posted or anything.

Has anyone gotten any word on Brown?

I haven't heard anything about NYU :/ and I've kind of lost hope on that one.  Anyone else?  The results page has been surprisingly quiet this year, no interviews posted or anything.

Has anyone gotten any word on Brown?

I have beekay

By the end oft his week I was told by email

I just rejects would be after during March

Hey hj2012,

I posted the acceptance. They didn't provide info about the cohort being finalized, however. Funding is very limited (in case you didn't know). It might be an unfortunate deterrent in my case.