American Studies 2014

I applied to four places last year and am expanding my options this year (due to better finances, so I can actually afford apps this time around)---Last year I applied to UCB Rhetoric (rejected), UCD Cultural Studies (rejected), NYU American Studies (interviewed, rejected), U of Minnesota (very high on the wait list but essentially rejected).

I'm applying to a few American Studies programs this year: U of Minn again, maybe NYU, USC (Amer. Stud. and Ethnicity), and probably U of Michigan (American Culture) with back-up M.A. American Studies programs at:  U of Maryland, U of Austin, George Washington U, WSU

I'm also applying to other programs (not dead-set on Amer. Stud. and really just looking at programs that fit my interests) including: York U. (STS), Durham U (Geography),  U of Ariz. (Gender & Women's Stud.)

This is my preliminary list with a few I may add or take away.

I'm applying to Penn State, Southern Maine, Alabama, Kansas, William & Mary, Southern Ontario, and Oregon. All American Studies MAs except for Oregon, which is a cultural history MA.

I took the GRE a few weeks ago and am totally happy with my scores, so that's over with! Next step is to start editing the paper I'm going to submit for my writing sample.

Yes! I'm so glad someone finally started this thread. I'm applying to NYU, USC ASE, UCLA (English), Michigan, Maryland, Yale, Brown, Purdue, Washington State, Stanford Modern Thought and Literature, Harvard, and possibly a couple other lit programs. My focus is in comparative ethnic literature, trauma/migration/diaspora studies, and queer theory. 

• 3 weeks later...

will be excited to follow everyone on this thread this year-I'm currently working on my masters in History and will be applying for Fall 2015 to AMS PhD programs again- hopefully this thread becomes as active as it was last spring. Support one another through this tough process!

Hooray! I was just thinking that I should start a thread -- glad it's already here! I just recently (like, last couple of days) found out that American Studies is a thing, and I'm SO GLAD I DID -- it fits my interests so much better than History or Sociology. My schools are in the signature. I'm the type of person who likes to obsess, so I'm already on pins and needles, without having submitted any applications. It's going to be a long fall.

Thank you for starting this thread! I am also applying for American Studies programs this fall:  NYU, UCLA, Stanford (MTL), Harvard, Brown, Yale, Minnesota, Berkeley (Rhet), USC and W&M.  Excited/nervous!  

I want to study femininity; specifically, why it's so heavily disdained (particularly among queer women) and to what degree second-wave feminism helped perpetuate the idea that femininity is inherently weak/less valuable -- and, most importantly, that femininity is incompatible with being a good feminist.

Edited by Meg11

Meg, that sounds really interesting and critical - as a queer person who performs femininity, I think about (in)visibility and feminism a lot. I'm also applying to UCLA English but want to collaborate with folks in the gender studies program. 

Thank you, Heidi! I'm hoping the admission committees agree that it sounds interesting and critical. I, of course, think it's the most fascinating thing EVER, but sometimes I worry that I'm the only person who thinks that.

• 4 weeks later...

will be excited to follow everyone on this thread this year-I'm currently working on my masters in History and will be applying for Fall 2015 to AMS PhD programs again- hopefully this thread becomes as active as it was last spring. Support one another through this tough process!

I will be applying to AMS for Fall 2015 as well..... where are you looking??  lets keep in touch!

I will be applying to AMS for Fall 2015 as well..... where are you looking??  lets keep in touch!

Haven't even begun the process of thinking about what my revised list will be. I'm in the process of starting my master's thesis, so that'll probably be something I decide more firmly in the spring. feel free to message me if you don't want to bog down the thread.

For those of you applying to Michigan -- how did you approach the statement of purpose / personal statement? I basically only focused on my academic interests in the statement of purpose, but I'm totally stuck how to approach the personal statement. Do they want something creative, along the lines of an undergrad college application essay? Or should it just be a straight-up explanation of my background?  :wacko:

For those of you applying to Michigan -- how did you approach the statement of purpose / personal statement? I basically only focused on my academic interests in the statement of purpose, but I'm totally stuck how to approach the personal statement. Do they want something creative, along the lines of an undergrad college application essay? Or should it just be a straight-up explanation of my background?  :wacko:

I went the creative route, partly because UCLA asked me to do the same thing, so I already had something written. I'm still not sure if it's exactly what they're looking for, but I'm already nearing my limit of obsessing over this application season.

Edited by Meg11

I went the creative route, partly because UCLA asked me to do the same thing, so I already had something written. I'm still not sure if it's exactly what they're looking for, but I'm already nearing my limit of obsessing over this application season.

Thanks for your input. My draft is pretty matter of fact and dry, but I think I'm going to at least try and rework a "hook" at the beginning.

Oh! And -- is anyone interested in doing a SoP swap? :)

Edited by abitstartled

• 1 month later...

Woah! I didn't even realize that there was an active American Studies thread! I've been mostly hanging out in the Literature forum...

I submitted to programs in both English and American Studies, but I'm in a similar position to beekay -- about halfway through my list. I applied to nine -- four down, and five to go!

verycunning, CONGRATS!!! Can't believe you're already hearing back!  I didn't think that we'd start to hear back until late Jan at the earliest.

abitstartled, I'm not applying to GW, and I'm not sure about the word limit, but I feel like it shouldn't be too much of a big deal as long as you don't go way over?  I would try to pare it down as much as possible and make it concise and tight, but I feel like a couple hundred more words isn't that much.  Anyone else have thoughts on that?