American Studies 2014

You already heard back from one of your programs, verycunning? I applied to a couple of grad programs last year and it seemed like no one heard back from any of them before Feb/March. Applying for AMS programs this year for the first time (Minnesota, William & Mary, Purdue) Can't believe you actually have to mail them your application for William & Mary. 

Congratulations, verycunning! That's awesome -- and just in time for the holiday season! :D 

abitstartled, I'm not applying to GW, and I'm not sure about the word limit, but I feel like it shouldn't be too much of a big deal as long as you don't go way over?  I would try to pare it down as much as possible and make it concise and tight, but I feel like a couple hundred more words isn't that much.  Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Agreed. Get it down as close to the limit as possible. Why give them an excuse to reject you?

You already heard back from one of your programs, verycunning? I applied to a couple of grad programs last year and it seemed like no one heard back from any of them before Feb/March. Applying for AMS programs this year for the first time (Minnesota, William & Mary, Purdue) Can't believe you actually have to mail them your application for William & Mary. 

I also don't expect to hearing back from anywhere until February at the earliest. And wow.. maybe W&M is still operating out of the colonial Williamsburg mindset? ;)

I also don't expect to hearing back from anywhere until February at the earliest. And wow.. maybe W&M is still operating out of the colonial Williamsburg mindset? ;)

Feels like that at least haha. I don't think I can even check my application status online. I guess I will email them to ask if everything arrived in time. 

Feels like that at least haha. I don't think I can even check my application status online. I guess I will email them to ask if everything arrived in time. 

Or you could send them a personal courier, or maybe a carrier pigeon. ;)

Finally finished submitting all my apps!  Best of luck to those still working.  Let's keep each other company/support each other throughout the tough waiting time!

Definitely!!! I'll be pretty busy through the holiday season, but I know the long, dreary days of January/February await...

I've sent all but Harvard's, because I wanted to have maximum time to edit -- glad I did, because I've found so many things to change that now I'm doubting I'll get into any of the others!

I have two primary research interests: first, I want to study femininity; specifically, why it's so heavily disdained (particularly among queer women) and to what degree second-wave feminism helped perpetuate the idea that femininity is inherently weak/less valuable -- and, most importantly, that femininity is incompatible with being a good feminist. 

Second, I want to investigate lesbian/queer female life prior to WWII, a la George Chauncey's Gay New York.

I've sent all but Harvard's, because I wanted to have maximum time to edit -- glad I did, because I've found so many things to change that now I'm doubting I'll get into any of the others!

I have two primary research interests: first, I want to study femininity; specifically, why it's so heavily disdained (particularly among queer women) and to what degree second-wave feminism helped perpetuate the idea that femininity is inherently weak/less valuable -- and, most importantly, that femininity is incompatible with being a good feminist. 

Second, I want to investigate lesbian/queer female life prior to WWII, a la George Chauncey's Gay New York.

I burned all my application materials and sent the ashes to the sky after I hit the submit button -- I knew there were going to be too many things I regretted!

[in all seriousness, my stuff is sitting in a folder on my desktop, but the bonfire idea sounded cooler. :D I also submitted everything all at once, so it's been easier to keep myself from revisiting old files.]

Your interests are fascinating, although I'd be curious to know if you're defining "femininity" along traditional lines of feminine performance, especially in light of the work of third-wave scholars that have tried to redefine the word altogether. Is your work primarily historical/archival?

Your second interest is even more intriguing to me, because there have been so few studies of everyday life for gays, and there's a particular dearth for those focusing on lesbian experiences. 

I did my undergrad thesis work on Afro-Caribbean diaspora in London, but am applying with an interest in the transpacific diaspora (with a particular eye toward Filipino, Korean and Vietnamese populations). I've strayed quite a bit from purely literary interests, and now look at sociological/anthropological discourses surrounding migration, particularly those created in the context of U.S. empire activities (Spanish-American War, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War). 

....wow, this still sounds quite broad. I promise it sounds much more concise in my statement! :D

Your interests are fascinating, although I'd be curious to know if you're defining "femininity" along traditional lines of feminine performance, especially in light of the work of third-wave scholars that have tried to redefine the word altogether. Is your work primarily historical/archival?

Thanks so much for saying it sounds interesting -- nerdy, perhaps, but I get really excited when people think I'm not a total weirdo about my interests. Yes, for the purposes of my research, I would be defining femininity in a traditional sense. This is because my question is not whether gender/gendered presentation/the gendering of actions is appropriate or real, but why we seem to feel so much animosity towards typically feminine things and modes of being to begin with. 

In that sense, a large portion of my work would be historical. However, I'd like to tie it all together with a study of the third-wave, particularly the nascent embracement of queer femininity that I see beginning to happen in my communities.

Hey! Is anyone applying to American Studies at GW? They state a 750 word limit for their statement of purpose, but mine is closer to a 1000 words...

Think it will be a big deal? 

Hey there! I'm applying there also.  I didn't meet the 750 word requirement for them either.  I think it's maybe 850.  I don't think it's a deal breaker if it isn't precisely 750 words or less.

So happy to see an American Studies forum! :)

I would like some advice please! I am applying to an American Studies Graduate program. I graduated with a BA in Sociology and a minor in American Studies. My GPA is very high, GRE is low, and my letters of recommendations are very strong (including one from the chair of the Sociology department). My concern is that I am required to submit a writing sample and the sample that I am considering submitting is my final research in Sociology. The paper discusses the social health effects of energy drink consumption among college level students. However, this is not a direct American studies topic. I have, in fact, written papers in the past for my American studies courses but none of them required resources per say; they were all directly discussing American novels, films,  or poets. Would it be an entirely BAD idea to submit my Sociology paper? Keep in mind, as I mentioned in my Statement of Purpose, I do in intend on studying the social history of America and American Literature.

Thank you for your help and feedback.

I sent Harvard's tonight! I'm done! 

LatteArt, I think that as long as your paper is somewhat relevant to your intended research, you'll be fine. I feel like very few people were American Studies majors and have AmSt-specific papers ready to go.

I really wish I found this thread earlier. Best of luck to all you beautiful people!

I sent Harvard's tonight! I'm done!

I applied to the same program as my crapshoot program. Best of luck to you! It honestly looks amazing and if either (or both...) of us get in, I'd love to hear and get reports on experiences.

So happy to see an American Studies forum! :)

I would like some advice please! I am applying to an American Studies Graduate program. I graduated with a BA in Sociology and a minor in American Studies. My GPA is very high, GRE is low, and my letters of recommendations are very strong (including one from the chair of the Sociology department). My concern is that I am required to submit a writing sample and the sample that I am considering submitting is my final research in Sociology. The paper discusses the social health effects of energy drink consumption among college level students. However, this is not a direct American studies topic. I have, in fact, written papers in the past for my American studies courses but none of them required resources per say; they were all directly discussing American novels, films,  or poets. Would it be an entirely BAD idea to submit my Sociology paper? Keep in mind, as I mentioned in my Statement of Purpose, I do in intend on studying the social history of America and American Literature.

Thank you for your help and feedback.

LatteArt, the advice I always heard was to submit your strongest writing sample. If that paper is your best work (and indicates your greatest potential), I would go with it. However, if you have another comparable paper that touches upon your interests more strongly (U.S. social history), that would be a better choice.

Thanks so much for saying it sounds interesting -- nerdy, perhaps, but I get really excited when people think I'm not a total weirdo about my interests. Yes, for the purposes of my research, I would be defining femininity in a traditional sense. This is because my question is not whether gender/gendered presentation/the gendering of actions is appropriate or real, but why we seem to feel so much animosity towards typically feminine things and modes of being to begin with. 

In that sense, a large portion of my work would be historical. However, I'd like to tie it all together with a study of the third-wave, particularly the nascent embracement of queer femininity that I see beginning to happen in my communities.

Cool! Sounds very interdisciplinary, too! :D

Good luck to all of us!

Thank you Macmc and hj2012 for your advice! I am more confident in the paper that I submitted now. I have indicated that it my intentions to combine my interest/passion of American studies with my background in sociological research and thus become a more effective writer. 

Anyone here applying to Alabama? 

I am thinking about applying to Alabama. My main area of interest is Popular Music Studies and I would love to study with some of the professors there. But right now I've just applied to UT Austin and the University of Arkansas. I'm finishing up applications for West Virginia University and Appalachian State (for an M.A. in Appalachian Studies). I have undergrad degrees from UT Austin in American Studies and English, a good GPA and good recs, but my GRE scores weren't that hot ( 161 verbal, 149 quant, 4.5 writing). And I will need funding, which apparently Alabama seems to be good at providing whereas my other choices I'm not so sure on. I'm going to give it a few more days thought and possibly apply.

lacicolleen- 

First off, I spent part of my undergraduate studies at Appalachian State and I absolutely loved it there. I was very pleased with the faculty members and just in general with the way that services are provided at that school. I graduated from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte though and I have no regrets. In all honesty, Appalachian State is not the best school for funding. But it is definitely worth giving it a shot because you won't meet a single soul that is not happy to be there! It is a college town- but plenty to do if you love the outdoors. If you need any more insight about the school then just contact me :) 

Your scores are actually great and with a double major you are certainly in a good spot. I was considering UT Austin because I heard how great their liberal arts and arts programs are. But I missed the deadline by the time someone recommended it to me. As for Alabama- it is at the top of my list now. I have heard excellent feedback about their funding packages and I just feel like that is a huge deciding factor when searching for graduate programs.  

hey all -

was talking to a buddy last night who adjuncts at sc and he mentioned to me that they were tanking the amst/ethnicity program. anyone else heard this -- have connects over there? if so, it's a bummer -- spent beacoup time on that app.

hey all -

was talking to a buddy last night who adjuncts at sc and he mentioned to me that they were tanking the amst/ethnicity program. anyone else heard this -- have connects over there? if so, it's a bummer -- spent beacoup time on that app.

Sorry -- What is "SC"? I could take guesses, but I'll probably just embarrass myself. :D

Oh, wow. I haven't heard anything about the program being shut down, and I'm surprised by that bit of news. One of my former professors (who incidentally did a postdoc fellowship at USC) recommended the program to me, but he didn't mention anything about the program's solvency.

Your friend who adjuncts there, however, would probably be the best source of info since he's actually in the department.

Oh, wow. I haven't heard anything about the program being shut down, and I'm surprised by that bit of news. One of my former professors (who incidentally did a postdoc fellowship at USC) recommended the program to me, but he didn't mention anything about the program's solvency.

Your friend who adjuncts there, however, would probably be the best source of info since he's actually in the department.

no, he's next door. and those things are always rumor mills anyways. so that's why i was looking here for confirmation. probably best not to worry about it; if the dept's taking apps, let's assume the best. sorry.