Women/Gender/Feminist Studies fall 2014

Hey Huckleberry,

I just had an informal  Skype 'chat' with UCSB on the 27th about a place there/funding.  I think the 'chat' didn't go very well, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I was wondering if you had talked with your POI there at all, or if your news just came as an e-mail?  In terms of money, I have some friends in the social sciences and humanities at the UCs who all report receiving way less than the maximum-- around 18k, 19K mostly, but I bet if the dept is telling you you'll likely get  'robust' funding, you'll likely be fine.  Congrats! 

Hey marneasada

I haven't had an actual admission offer yet, I just had an email from my POI wanting to make sure I was really genuinely interested in attending before there was any nomination for any fellowships. I believe the departments recommend people for admission/funding but then it all has to be approved on a higher level before they make offers. 

Thanks for the info about funding! I'm slightly older than your average PhD student (at 30) and I'm married with various responsibilities so just trying to make sure that we would have enough to live on! 

Don't let an informal chat worry you too much, you can never be sure what they are looking for. Maybe they love your applicaiton and just need clarification on a few points. I have had a lot of "bad" job interviews that I thought went terribly that resulted in job offers so I don't think anyone can tell for sure! 

Good luck with all your applications! 

I haven't had an actual admission offer yet, I just had an email from my POI wanting to make sure I was really genuinely interested in attending before there was any nomination for any fellowships. I believe the departments recommend people for admission/funding but then it all has to be approved on a higher level before they make offers. 

Can I ask who your POI is?

Given your informal interviews and e-mails, I'm not likely to hear good news from UCSB. I suspected that I wouldn't get the nod, since my research interests do not align with the faculty at UCSB as well as they do with the faculty at the other Departments to which I applied (e.g., UCLA).

Is anyone else going to the Emory Recruitment Weekend? I'm heading there tomorrow, assuming my flight doesn't get canceled because of the snow.

@Huckleberry620, are you also interested in feminist legal studies? I very nearly applied to the Berkeley JSP program, but I decided that there simply wasn't the faculty support for my intended project.

@Huckleberry620, are you also interested in feminist legal studies? I very nearly applied to the Berkeley JSP program, but I decided that there simply wasn't the faculty support for my intended project.

Hi VirginianFeminist

I do have an interest in feminist legal studies, but my focus professionally has been on gender and the construction of law and policy relating to migration - trafficking, refugee and asylum issues, displacement etc... I've been an expert witness in gender-based asylum cases for several years now and I do a lot of human rights advocacy work with courts and governments. Berkeley does a lot of work in those areas and there is some overlap with faculty who also have an interest in women's rights. I don't think there is necessarily anyone specifically on the JSP faculty who does exactly what I want to do, but I am really interested in Sarah Song's work on citizenship and migration. That said, however, she never emailed me back, so maybe not a good fit...

Hey all

I've had an email from feminist studies at UCSB saying I'll be nominated for a central fellowship and that I'm likely to get robust funding - wondering if anyone knows (in actual numeric terms) what that means? I've been on the UCSB website and I have seen the info about $10k/quarter but it seems to me that there isn't any info about what constitutes a small/normal/robust package. Anyone have any ideas? I've seen a few posts about fellowships from other UCSB departments (I think someone in Physics or Chemistry had a 28k stipend) but nothing from feminist studies or even another humanities/social science program... thoughts anyone?

Congrats, How exciting! We were just talking about the recruitment visit yesterday in our quarterly meeting with the grad director. I'm looking forward to meeting you and the others next month. I received a central fellowship and while it wasn't the maximum, it was fairly "robust." I know it is nerve wracking but you will have to wait until they hear back from the central fellowships before making your official acceptance/funding offer.

I am also in my 30s with a family so I understand the extra pressure. I am living in family student housing (as a fellowship recipient you are put to the top of the housing list and are basically guaranteed a spot) and I really love it here. Are you attending other recruitments as well? UCSB was my top choice so even though I got into several other programs, they couldn't beat the fit with the faculty, location, and funding.

Feel free to PM me with questions,

Laura

I was just invited to the UCSB recruiting weekend, but I don't know if I'll be able to go! Ahhh!

Congrats! You should definitely try to make it :)

Hi VirginianFeminist

I do have an interest in feminist legal studies, but my focus professionally has been on gender and the construction of law and policy relating to migration - trafficking, refugee and asylum issues, displacement etc... I've been an expert witness in gender-based asylum cases for several years now and I do a lot of human rights advocacy work with courts and governments. Berkeley does a lot of work in those areas and there is some overlap with faculty who also have an interest in women's rights. I don't think there is necessarily anyone specifically on the JSP faculty who does exactly what I want to do, but I am really interested in Sarah Song's work on citizenship and migration. That said, however, she never emailed me back, so maybe not a good fit...

@Huckleberry620, it sounds like the Bay area would be perfect for you. If you go to Davis or Berkeley, I'll bet you could work with the UC Hastings Center for Gender and Refugee Studies, which specializes in the rights of women, children, and LGBT refugees. Best of luck!

I heard back from Indiana Monday, but I'm still awaiting funding :(

Really?? So they offered admission, but no funding?  Ive heard they sent out the first round offers to people...so I guess Im on a waitlist? Havent heard anything

It was kind of bizarre, they said that I was approved for admission and on a waitlist for funding. I will probably have to follow up with them soon since I have to make a decision about programs much sooner than they can provide information about funding.

It was kind of bizarre, they said that I was approved for admission and on a waitlist for funding. I will probably have to follow up with them soon since I have to make a decision about programs much sooner than they can provide information about funding.

Ahh, so I guess youre on a waitlist or something? Congrats anyways. Do you think youll wait it out a while? Im actually at IU already in a different dept., but heard nothing at all...I must be wayyy down the list. :(

No, nothing at all. I scoured the WGS thread from last year and I know somebody got a reject from UCSC first week of March...

I have one admit, two rejects, and I'm waiting on UCSC and U of Washington (which similarly doesn't notify until late Feb). I'm impatient and want to start making decisions!

I saw that other people got into Stony Brook on the results page....if you are one of those, have you gotten your official letter yet? All I have is the email acceptance from a few weeks ago, and the more time goes by without something official in my mailbox, the more I worry they sent me the email by mistake!

I saw that other people got into Stony Brook on the results page....if you are one of those, have you gotten your official letter yet? All I have is the email acceptance from a few weeks ago, and the more time goes by without something official in my mailbox, the more I worry they sent me the email by mistake!

I have not received any "official" letter, but I did receive an informal e-mail from my POI. That said, if your name is on the e-mail acceptance letter, let there be no mistake, you are in. If you would like to test this theory, try e-mailing the Departmental Administrator about the admitted students event on March 26. Just let them know whether or not you will attend. Congrats on your admission!   

Hey all, just discovered this page! Congrats to all with good news! I received informal acceptance to UCSC on 2/5, though no word yet on what kind of funding will be available. I'm also waitlisted at UCSB (notified 2/5) and UCLA (notified 2/3).

Has anyone heard from Univeristy of Washington? I had a skype interview with them last Friday. They said they'd be accepting 2 out of the 10 students they interviewed (ouch).