Rhetoric/Composition 2014 hopefuls

round-trip to Madrid is $1,100.

If I put away 300 from each paycheck...

...then you will have saved up enough for the ticket by mid-April, but that means you will be arriving during Semana Santa, que es la temporada más cara en Madrid. Make sure you have somewhere to stay before arriving. Es que casi no hay donde quedarse en abril, y abusan con los precios.

...then you will have saved up enough for the ticket by mid-April, but that means you will be arriving during Semana Santa, que es la temporada más cara en Madrid. Make sure you have somewhere to stay before arriving. Es que casi no hay donde quedarse en abril, y abusan con los precios.

Shucks!

I wouldn't be going till June - I will find myself unemployed after May 30.

I am currently revising an article about public writing assessment and analyzing a corpus of second-language writing to assess the correlation between the lexical diversity in student texts and scores on a standardized vocabulary test, in an effort to better understand the relationship between active and passive vocabulary. And prepping for my prospectus defense in a couple weeks.

I am currently revising an article about public writing assessment and analyzing a corpus of second-language writing to assess the correlation between the lexical diversity in student texts and scores on a standardized vocabulary test, in an effort to better understand the relationship between active and passive vocabulary. And prepping for my prospectus defense in a couple weeks.

Exciting. Interesting. Useful.

What a wonderful project!

I'm close with people in the applied linguistics program here and so I do a lot of work that's sort of a hybrid. And what I love about being in rhet/comp is that nobody every questions it or acts like I'm an outsider. Whenever I speak to friends in ed psych or theoretical linguistics, I feel luckier to get that much freedom.

I'm close with people in the applied linguistics program here and so I do a lot of work that's sort of a hybrid. And what I love about being in rhet/comp is that nobody every questions it or acts like I'm an outsider. Whenever I speak to friends in ed psych or theoretical linguistics, I feel luckier to get that much freedom.

Academic-flexibility is much appreciated.  

Woah - you're 4 for 4 right now?

Ha, yeah, but I don't expect that to continue. Not one bit. I'm pretty certain that it's a matter of timing and luck at this point.

I'm really waiting on Syracuse at this point, as that program's outreach and general approach to interacting with students has been warm and exceedingly helpful. Is it strange that that sort of thing makes such a difference to me? I want to go somewhere that will be academically rewarding and professionally savvy, but an unwelcoming program might make me consider other options even if it were a perfect fit on paper.

Hm. Who else is looking forward to this month ending, just to know more of the picture? :)

Edited by driftlake

Ha, yeah, but I don't expect that to continue. Not one bit. I'm pretty certain that it's a matter of timing and luck at this point.

I'm really waiting on Syracuse at this point, as that program's outreach and general approach to interacting with students has been warm and exceedingly helpful. Is it strange that that sort of thing makes such a difference to me? I want to go somewhere that will be academically rewarding and professionally savvy, but an unwelcoming program might make me consider other options even if it were a perfect fit on paper.

Hm. Who else is looking forward to this month ending, just to know more of the picture? :)

Well - luck is nice.

I agree with warm and helpful making a difference. I had a very long correspondence with someone at Louisville and the program has since grown on me. Here is to hoping I hear good news from them by the end of next week. :-D

whistle whistle

kick the dirt

whistle whistle

Anything going on in the Rhet/Comp world?

What y'all working on?

Made a five second movie for an applied digital writing class. That was a lot of fun.

Well - luck is nice.

I agree with warm and helpful making a difference. I had a very long correspondence with someone at Louisville and the program has since grown on me. Here is to hoping I hear good news from them by the end of next week. :-D

Wishing you luck. :D

We applied to 3 of the same programs, and I've only heard from one of those three.

Well, I think starting from this weekend, massive rejections would get on me.

Also waiting on Syracuse. Out of curiosity, what did you send them as writing samples?

This is the only Rhetoric program I applied.

We applied to 3 of the same programs, and I've only heard from one of those three.

Hm, I've only heard from Rensselaer, Rhode Island, Minnesota, and Michigan. Are two of the three not among those?

To your question, Wendy, I believe I sent them a chunk of my thesis. I honestly don't expect to get into Syracuse--it's such a particular program, and they don't tend to take multiple people with the same interest or emphasis. But who knows?

EDITED to ask: seeing as I'm new around here, is there/will there be a "Help me choose! I don't know what I'm doing!" thread, some place where folks can post their final acceptances and seek advice from the collective about various programs? Just curious.

Edited by driftlake

Hm, I've only heard from Rensselaer, Rhode Island, Minnesota, and Michigan. Are two of the three not among those?

To your question, Wendy, I believe I sent them a chunk of my thesis. I honestly don't expect to get into Syracuse--it's such a particular program, and they don't tend to take multiple people with the same interest or emphasis. But who knows?

EDITED to ask: seeing as I'm new around here, is there/will there be a "Help me choose! I don't know what I'm doing!" thread, some place where folks can post their final acceptances and seek advice from the collective about various programs? Just curious.

In past years there have been - "Accepted" or "Decisions"  threads. You could always create one... or, heaven forbid I get accepted somewhere, I could do it. :-P

As to be honest, how particular do u think the program is? I asked Steve about what he thinks would fit the program or what the program is looking for, unfortunately he did not reply. Well, besides of a thesis, I sent them a personal diary lol, is this weird?

And to your creative thought of thread, I might start a " reapplying for 2015" lol

Edited by WendyWonderland

I somehow have the feeling that CCR in Syracuse is a program combined with creative writing and academic teaching. Don't know if I am right ?

From the list of recent theses and conference presentations, it seems that the major interests at CCR are composition pedagogy and discourse analysis/cultural studies. Creative writing at Syracuse seems to live in the English dept. But that doesn't mean your diary may not intrigue them as a writing sample. None of us can say.

I got an MA yes from Sparty but am APD at Minnesota and Purdue

I just got accepted to Rhode Island. Has anyone else accepted there heard about funding, yet? The admissions letter said a second letter would come, which has tempered my excitement with anticipation and trepidation. :P