Rhetoric/Composition 2014 hopefuls

Hm ... I don't necessarily see this as a problem. As awesome and important as these conferences are, they are still perceived as *just* conferences for those on the tenure track. I am not really familiar with Knoxville's program, but I would be more concerned about a lack of publications in books and reputable journals over conference presentations.

I'm interested now, too ... Just from looking over the website quickly I get the sense that the program is in transition. What's your interest in Knoxville?

Plus, I find it so hard to believe they aren't represented! Have you looked through multiple years of proceedings? This year might just be a one-off.

Oh, and I absolutely wanted to add that if I were going to be making more of a presence this year at Cs, I would completely extend the same offer that has graciously been given to you by the others. I am in your shoes, though, with not being tied directly to a PhD program yet and also have some funding issues, so there is not terribly much I can offer.

Oh, and I think you very well should hear from schools by mid-March. The universal deadline to accept/decline is in April and good news usually comes before bad news.

Chadillac, my interest in Knoxville is that it is a funded (TAship) comprehensive MA that allows for some dabbling in linguistics (specifically sociolinguistics). Does my heart ache for linguistics? certainly not! Still, I think a dollop of linguistics could further inform (down the road) research.

I'm not particularly concerned about the quality of faculty at Knoxville, I just wonder... are the students not presenting? are there travel funds?

Regarding 4Cs- thank you! I will almost certainly take someone up on an offer - hell - even if it's just someone to talk with about presentations, I'm down.

Of course... how tragic would it be if I'm accepted nowhere in March and I'm the try-hard in the corner??? Boo! bad thoughts. 

Just speaking personally, I'm pretty  close to a hybrid between rhetcomp and applied linguistics. It's rare but it does happen.

As far as conferences go, you just never know. Our program is so big that we always have representation, but there's plenty of great programs with fewer people who don't send anyone to big conferences. And the application process is always a crapshoot. I have a brilliant, respected prof who was rejected seven straight years from Cs.

With Purdue specifically, just bear in mind that you should freak if you don't hear anything too soon. The department has no waiting list and sends out admissions on a rolling basis. They don't want anyone to go into the program feeling different for having been on a waiting list.

Wow.

Is it fair to say that Rhet/Comp people are the most friendly?

It is fair to say that! I noticed from the start how warm, supportive, and helpful rhet/comp students and faculty are. We really want to see each other succeed. It's a great field to be a part of! 

Should I be at all concerned when I don't see any representation from a uni at the major conferences? RSA, 4Cs?

For instance, I'm flirting with submitting to knoxville for a funded MA. But I'm not seeing any research in the two large conferences.

Does it matter? Should I look elsewhere? Investigate further?

If you are really worried, call or email someone from the program and ask. If you don't already have a MA, I would recommend applying to a few funded MA programs in addition to direct-to-PhD programs. It's a good option if none of the PhD programs work out, and a strong MA career would open you up to even more possibilities in two years. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are really worried, call or email someone from the program and ask. If you don't already have a MA, I would recommend applying to a few funded MA programs in addition to direct-to-PhD programs. It's a good option if none of the PhD programs work out, and a strong MA career would open you up to even more possibilities in two years. 

Thanks for the advice. I've cast a wide net - including Louisville... had a bit of a letter mix-up but the folks in KY were wicked awesome.

----

Y'all,

My stuff is in. What a relief! I can finally stop stressing about letters and transcripts and start addressing the big question: what should I watch on netflix?

My stuff is in. What a relief! I can finally stop stressing about letters and transcripts and start addressing the big question: what should I watch on netflix?

The answer to that question is Breaking Bad. (At least, it is for me.  :) )

Edited by Chadillac

miami's ma program is a good choice. hope  you considered it. you can also work with some people there who can definitely feed you into fancier programs like purdue. 

it's also like the high priority program in the department so they get the most opportunities to do interesting things and teach interesting classes, even at the ma level. 

miami's ma program is a good choice. hope  you considered it. you can also work with some people there who can definitely feed you into fancier programs like purdue. 

it's also like the high priority program in the department so they get the most opportunities to do interesting things and teach interesting classes, even at the ma level. 

I presume you're talking about Miami of Ohio.

I did more than consider it - I applied!

It's on them now to do more than consider me. :-P

Hearing you mention the high priority bit is nice. I mentioned the flexibility to teach more than comp classes in my SOP. 

Hear that Miami?  I'd like to park my big blue police box somewhere down in Oxford. 

I'm going to C's (Assuming I get some travel funds from SGA). I've got a prof that's going to be presenting, and I'm going to hitch a ride since it is over spring break. I'm hoping to have a yes or two by then, but I'm slowing melting down while waiting. (doesn't help that MSU's app status has changed from "out to department" to a notice that they haven't received my application fee. I'm hoping that just means they boobooed an update somewhere.)

I'm going to C's (Assuming I get some travel funds from SGA). I've got a prof that's going to be presenting, and I'm going to hitch a ride since it is over spring break. I'm hoping to have a yes or two by then, but I'm slowing melting down while waiting. (doesn't help that MSU's app status has changed from "out to department" to a notice that they haven't received my application fee. I'm hoping that just means they boobooed an update somewhere.)

We're in the same boat.  Welllllll not on the MSU thing. But on the C's thing.

Best of luck on MSU! have you been there before? I'm an Mi native so if you have questions about MSU or Mi in general send me a shout.

We're in the same boat.  Welllllll not on the MSU thing. But on the C's thing.

Best of luck on MSU! have you been there before? I'm an Mi native so if you have questions about MSU or Mi in general send me a shout.

Thanks, I may just take you up on that!  A old interweb friend of mine came out of their history department, and still works in the area, so I'm hoping to use him to my advantage. I've never been to Michigan, except for the Traverse City Airport, but I met some decent folks from there at C&W last summer so they are among my top choices.

Just found out yesterday that my travel funds are likely getting denied since I'm not presenting myself. Plus side, I found out I'm going to Washington State for CW in June.

Edited by bhr

Y'all- results may start trickling in by next week.

Of course I'll be chill the entire time- I won't freak out if come the 14th and I haven't heard anything.

I just double-checked, and my first notification (an acceptance) didn't come until Feb 13, so don't lose hope if you don't hear anything for the next two weeks! Hell, Arizona and Miami didn't notify until March.

Did any Nebraska R/C applicants who were accepted enter their acceptance as just "English Ph.D" rather than include R/C on the results page by any chance? There are a few of us lit kids who were wondering if the acceptance was for our program or yours. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

I just double-checked, and my first notification (an acceptance) didn't come until Feb 13, so don't lose hope if you don't hear anything for the next two weeks! Hell, Arizona and Miami didn't notify until March.

Oh certainly! I'll be honest: I'm rather calloused and rather distracted this semester so the waiting doesn't bug me.

Hell. Say no. Say yes.

I'll figure it out.