Rhetoric/Composition 2014 hopefuls

On 2/16/2014 at 2:02 AM, Graditude said:

Don't let them walk you down the aisle yet!

I know, that is what the email said...just so hard not to stare at the board and stay calm...now that 3 choices of mine have been informing students and I got nothing, calling them seems so appealing

Ha, I've got a few years on the both of you, if I don't get in (and funded) I may have to go back to... ugh.. sales.

And that's a second MTU MA acceptance posted. That was as close as I felt to having a safety school. so this is annoying. I know they don't have the prestige of some other programs, but they have a fantastic PhD and TT placement rate, so I was hoping for an offer.

Edited by bhr

Ha, I've got a few years on the both of you, if I don't get in (and funded) I may have to go back to... ugh.. sales.

And that's a second MTU MA acceptance posted. That was as close as I felt to having a safety school. so this is annoying. I know they don't have the prestige of some other programs, but they have a fantastic PhD and TT placement rate, so I was hoping for an offer.

You still have time to apply to Memphis

I might also consider funded MA. But the only school I applied who asked that is NYU I guess, and I am pretty sure they don't fund MA students, which sucks.....btw, I emailed a NYU professor to ask, would share it if they give out infos.

Actually, I'm the eldest here by far -- guaranteed. I've been working full-time as a college translation and writing teacher since my mid-20s, and now I'm 40 plus 1. So if you're feeling old, relax. Stressing about your age will only hasten the wrinkles. 

Actually, I'm the eldest here by far -- guaranteed. I've been working full-time as a college translation and writing teacher since my mid-20s, and now I'm 40 plus 1. So if you're feeling old, relax. Stressing about your age will only hasten the wrinkles. 

I think comp/rhet folks tend to be a bit older than lit folks, at least on the few campuses I've had experience with. 

We've both applied to CCR, I see... This could be the year of the non-traditional aka almost senior citizen grad student in Syracuse.

That's actually a bit funny. One of the big reasons that I didn't apply to Syracuse was that they seemed to have a program full of folks in their early 20s. I met a handful of Syracuse PhD candidates last summer and I think the oldest one was 25 or 26.

That's actually a bit funny. One of the big reasons that I didn't apply to Syracuse was that they seemed to have a program full of folks in their early 20s. I met a handful of Syracuse PhD candidates last summer and I think the oldest one was 25 or 26.

Is it rude if I email Steve? According to the board I guess they have already made up their mind. Just can't endure the torture anymore.

Is it rude if I email Steve? According to the board I guess they have already made up their mind. Just can't endure the torture anymore.

How do you mean, according to the board? There are no CCR results yet on the board for this year. They expect to notify us at the end of this month -- that leaves two more weeks.

If you haven't already sent an email, my advice is this: don't. Really don't. It will just give them more work and perhaps annoy them. 

Grad school requires lots of suspenseful waiting: Did you pass the exam? Was your conference paper accepted? Will you be nominated for the award? Will you get a job interview? Etc etc etc. Better to find something else to do in the meantime while you wait. Good luck.

How do you mean, according to the board? There are no CCR results yet on the board for this year. They expect to notify us at the end of this month -- that leaves two more weeks.

If you haven't already sent an email, my advice is this: don't. Really don't. It will just give them more work and perhaps annoy them.

Grad school requires lots of suspenseful waiting: Did you pass the exam? Was your conference paper accepted? Will you be nominated for the award? Will you get a job interview? Etc etc etc. Better to find something else to do in the meantime while you wait. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the advise! I mean the result board from recent years. But you are right, 2 weeks, I can live with that ( I hope). I don't want to annoy them honestly, and as this program gives u a chance to send more than 1 writing sample, I guess it really takes time to read all the fictions, papers, poetry etc. Then maybe they have to discuss which one shows potential skills to become an academic or writer...I am just anxious since Syracuse is kind of my last hope. It is the only rhetoric program I applied. All others were literature. Good luck to all of us! Hope to see u there!

Thank you very much for the advise! I mean the result board from recent years. But you are right, 2 weeks, I can live with that ( I hope). I don't want to annoy them honestly, and as this program gives u a chance to send more than 1 writing sample, I guess it really takes time to read all the fictions, papers, poetry etc. Then maybe they have to discuss which one shows potential skills to become an academic or writer...I am just anxious since Syracuse is kind of my last hope. It is the only rhetoric program I applied. All others were literature. Good luck to all of us! Hope to see u there!

The results from previous years are not typical, so don't let the other dates worry you. CCR has gone through several big changes recently, including a change of director. In the previous director's final year they accepted almost no one and 'lost' applications, which meant that they didn't notify some people until late April. But that was probably not their best year...

whistle whistle

kick the dirt

whistle whistle

Anything going on in the Rhet/Comp world?

What y'all working on?

What are you working on, Bow Ties?

I just wrote a paper on the rhetoric of email. Author, audience, motive, all that fun stuff.

Did you want grad school angst? Because I can give you grad school angst, but I'd rather read what y'all're doing in your happy Rhet/Comp worlds.

whistle whistle

kick the dirt

whistle whistle

Anything going on in the Rhet/Comp world?

What y'all working on?

Just patiently waiting with occasional moments of terror. It helps that the spring semester started this week, so there are classes to concentrate on. And yourself?

Rejection letter from UMass Amherst today. Not too surprised, but there it is.

Well, you know what they say about Massachusetts.

[EDIT: Sorry if that sounded flippant. Was meant to be sympathetic.]

Edited by Graditude