PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

A few interviews have gone out, but someone posted that they do two waves. I applied but haven't heard anything yet either.

Regarding UMich: They did 2 waves last year, but not previously. Although I think I heard from BME faculty that there will be 2 waves again this year. I believe the first wave is set to take place the Feb. 14th weekend. I am pretty sure the invites for that weekend are done by now. If you haven't heard yet, you might still have a shot at the next wave which will probably happen beginning to mid March. 

Hi hopeful engineer,

I think they sent some out on the 17th. If you go to the top of the page, you can click the results search tab and the enter "michigan biomedical engineering" into the query and see the results for the F14 cycle so far. They could send out more in the future - maybe someone else here has more insight on how they do things at michigan?

Regarding UMich: They did 2 waves last year, but not previously. Although I think I heard from BME faculty that there will be 2 waves again this year. I believe the first wave is set to take place the Feb. 14th weekend. I am pretty sure the invites for that weekend are done by now. If you haven't heard yet, you might still have a shot at the next wave which will probably happen beginning to mid March. 

Thank you both!

I just discovered GradCafe--thanks for all of the information you've been posting!  Do any of you know about Georgia Tech's acceptance time frame?  I saw that some have been accepted already.  

I'm not quite sure what they're doing. I got mine on January 10th (if I am remembering correctly) and I've been seeing posts from January 2x's online as well. It wouldn't hurt to call the admissions office/department to ask -- they're really nice!

Hey guys, anyone heard from JHU or UPenn?? Any idea when to expect communication? I haven't heard a thing except a reminder to send transcripts (JHU; which I had a month back :/  they did not get it apparently) Contacted PI at Penn; says pending selection from the pool of applicants they'd be happy to discuss projects.

Got into Rice Bioe btw!

Just got an interview invite for Penn a few minutes ago!

They had two weekends 2/20-22 ... during stanford. And 2/27-3/1 is HST.

:( Not sure what to do anymore.

I haven't heard anything from JHU yet.

Does anyone have any insight to offer regarding what to do about conflicting interviews?? I already RSVP'd and booked flights for both Stanford and HST... I don't know if its appropriate to ask to go for a different weekend or to do phone/Skype instead?

Edited by AxyC

Didn't get a UPenn invite - pretty surprised based upon receiving several calls for a PI asking me to interview with her.

I don't think all of them have been sent yet. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet! :)

Does anyone have any insight to offer regarding what to do about conflicting interviews?? I already RSVP'd and booked flights for both Stanford and HST... I don't know if its appropriate to ask to go for a different weekend or to do phone/Skype instead?

Yea, for Stanford the POI who contacted me asked me if I had conflicting times, and at the time I didn't, but she said if something came up to contact her and they would work something out. I think she was implying that there might be a second week for Stanford. But you mentioned you already booked flights, so did I...I'm half considering if it is possible to change the flights a little bit for HST to interview on one of the two days with the PIs I really want to work with, and then fly to Penn..

If you get an interview, does it mean that you are basically accepted? I heard from many people that an interview basically means you are in...but what is the chance of getting accepted if you get invited to an interview (UPenn). They said something about a top candidate, and are paying for everything so is there a good chance we are "basically" in?

I wouldn't say that. I know, for example, at JHU, they interview a more people than they accept. I imagine its the same at Penn. 

Edited by jeffleung1992

I just got the invite like an hour ago. Do they still try to pick off people during the interview process? I heard that for PhD an interview means you are in most of the time, and it is not like med school interview process.

Definitely not guaranteed. I know plenty of people that interviewed places and didn't get accepted. Especially if you are talking about "match" based schools. Usually a professor has like 1-3 open spots at the most, but interviews 6+ people. Granted, if you interview with like 3+ POIs than even if each only accepts half the students they interview, odds are you have a good shot at getting into one of those spots. But you should definitely bring your A game to the interviews. Also, try and get friendly with the current grad students in the labs you are interested in if you meet them. I think a lot of POIs will ask the current lab members about their opinions on prospectives.

Congratulations on your interview.

Did anybody apply to Cornell and heard back?

Didn't get a UPenn invite - pretty surprised based upon receiving several calls for a PI asking me to interview with her.

Hey dude, no worries. They might do waves of invitations!

I just got the invite like an hour ago. Do they still try to pick off people during the interview process? I heard that for PhD an interview means you are in most of the time, and it is not like med school interview process.

Ditto to what others have said. It's not guaranteed. Like the HST program (this might be an extreme amount) takes like half their interviewees (ish). Definitely still take the interviews seriously. It does mean you're in the top of the bunch, but they still have some weeding out to do. 

Congratulations on your interview.

Thanks!

The UPenn interview is pretty serious as well.  You meet with several professors, and afterwards the students and professors both rank their preferences.  If you can't find a professor willing to fund you, you don't get accepted. 

P.S. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the HST interview or the program in general.  Feel free to send me a PM.

Edited by intirb

The UPenn interview is pretty serious as well.  You meet with several professors, and afterwards the students and professors both rank their preferences.  If you can't find a professor willing to fund you, you don't get accepted. 

P.S. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has about the HST interview or the program in general.  Feel free to send me a PM.

Regarding UPenn - do you know if people in the past have successfully interviewed on an alternate weekend and been accepted? It seems like it would be difficult to get the full panel of faculty and students to do interviews on a non-interview specified weekend

Regarding UPenn - do you know if people in the past have successfully interviewed on an alternate weekend and been accepted? It seems like it would be difficult to get the full panel of faculty and students to do interviews on a non-interview specified weekend

I don't know this, but I agree this would be difficult.  In theory I guess you could skype interview with multiple professors.  As long as they get a chance to compare you to the other students, it should work.  But I have no idea, personally, how they handle this situation.

Carnegie Mellon Reject - BME, PhD. Email to check online to view my decesion. Standard reason - too many applicants. Not at all disappointed other than wastin my money (w.r.t Tissue engg). Good luck to ya'll.

Got the Columbia invite as well!  Does anyone have any idea how "intense" or evaluative the Columbia interviews are?  Are we basically "in" (assuming we don't screw up big time) or is this a serious interview that weeds out a lot of applicants?

I've never been to a grad school interview before, so I'm kinda nervous :P  I have no idea what they're gonna ask or what they look for in potential PhD candidates.