GRE Quant horror for Art Historians

m-ttl

I just took the GRE today and signed up to retake it again in Nov. 

Don't get me wrong, my verbal score was fine, I'm more than happy with a 165, and assume my written score will be a 5 or 6. But at the end of the test, at the sixth section, I got a third Quant section, and clicked continue. The test switched pages and brought me to the "Do you want to see your scores, or cancel them?" page with no back button. I panicked (and was a bit baffled) but didn't want to cancel my scores. :/ I realize I should have said something but in panic mode I don't really think. I completely bombed the Quant section, without a shadow of a doubt. I don't know if that's because I didn't take one of the graded portions because of a glitch or the equally likely I'm truly terrible at math. 

Does anyone else retake because of abysmal quant scores in Art History? I feel like when I had terrible math scores on the SAT and ACT in High School I was determined to retake to get an "average" score, and I also felt like the tests were more important. But with the GRE and the low math score for Art History I'm not sure how much it's going to factor. I don't want to look like I simply didn't try because I thought it was unnecessary or pointless, but in the grand scheme of things I have good LORs, and strong writing samples, etc which I would think would overshadow "She can't do algebra."? 

Did you choose retake simply because of general Grad school admissions standards for the GRE, or for Funding, or what? I'm concerned such a low Quant score would detract from my potential funding or schools with "minimums" standards, which is why I'm redoing it. Did anyone get really bad or absolutely terrible Quant scores and do fine admissions wise? 

I find it hard to believe that the quant score comes into much consideration, unless the grad school as a whole has particular cut-offs for scores above, say, 1200. That's common in some science fields, but not in art history (from what I know). Can you give us an idea of what a 'terrible' score is?

I scored in the 50th percentile, and it's never been an issue. 

I find it hard to believe that the quant score comes into much consideration, unless the grad school as a whole has particular cut-offs for scores above, say, 1200. That's common in some science fields, but not in art history (from what I know). Can you give us an idea of what a 'terrible' score is?

I scored in the 50th percentile, and it's never been an issue. 

Terrible is flat out bottom, unfortunately. I have my suspicions I would have come closer to the 50% percentile had the system not glitched and/or I'd said something about my test issue. I'm retaking (I signed up yesterday after I finished my exam and calmed down), for the obvious reason of it seems like a non-score rather than an actual score (Because I did answer questions and yet to bottom score seems like I somehow skipped the final Quant portion and not the random extra portion by some bizarre accident), but I'm not wholly convinced I'll do terribly well even if everything goes right. 

The rest of the test was fine -- my studying prepared me for the types of questions they wanted me to answer, but other than that, I didn't need it. The writing wasn't too bad, the verbal felt fine, but the Quant was overwhelming. Still -- I'm used to scoring mediocre in exams for Math/Quant, not flat out terrible, which is what led me to believe something was wrong because of the weird lack of a sixth section on my exam. 

Edited by m-ttl

I was told by my advisor that you could get a 1 percentile in math and no one would care.  At least that was for my school, perhaps it's different for others.  Maybe wait and see how you did on the writing?  If you got a 6, why worry?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently in almost the same exact position. I took the test a bit preemptively (last January) considering I've only just begun applying for fall 2014. Like you my verbal and writing were good (168 and 5, respectively), but my quant was TRULY abysmal: 139. This is a problem I've been dealing with my whole life--I literally cannot do maths for anything. And especially after four years of not taking a single maths course, my skills are a new level of rusty. I really don't want to retake it. For one thing, I'm doing the semester abroad right now, and it would be a major pain to start a study regime while I'm here. For another, I sincerely doubt that I would do much better. The 139 was (believe it or not) obtained after a two month prep course. So I'm thinking there's no hope for me. 

As you said, though, I feel like my writing samples, etc, should make up for this. But I'm curious to see what you decide to do. It's a shame the damn thing is so expensive. ugh. 

• 2 weeks later...

Are deadlines to receive GRE scores usually set in stone? I will need to retake it early in December (around the 7th), but my first app deadline is December 15th.

I managed to do the impossible: to lower my verbal score, after studying this time, by 5 points. I want to shoot myself!

• 1 month later...

I had an abysmal quant score and am now incredibly happy at my top choice program. Last year at this time, I was SO worried about my GRE score, knowing that it was the weakest point of my application. Clearly, it didn't stop me from getting into a great program, nor will it stop any of you. Spend your time revising your SOP & writing sample--they're what matter most.

Edited by Flaneuse

• 2 months later...

I had an abysmal quant score and am now incredibly happy at my top choice program. Last year at this time, I was SO worried about my GRE score, knowing that it was the weakest point of my application. Clearly, it didn't stop me from getting into a great program, nor will it stop any of you. Spend your time revising your SOP & writing sample--they're what matter most.

I agree!!!!

Just focus on putting together the strongest SoP and writing sample possible. And you will be fine!!!!

Edited by brazilianbuddy

Just an update: I currently have acceptances to 5 of the 7 schools I applied to, including my top choice, despite the awful math score. There's hope! To reiterate what everyone else has said, just focus on making your SOP and writing sample as strong as possible and chances are you'll be fine!

If it's any help, I asked one of my old professors this question the other day (and, for context, he's on the graduate committee for one of the top programs that a lot of people on here are currently fretting about). He basically said that they couldn't care less about your math score and the other scores aren't all that big of a deal either. They look at them to make sure you are competent enough but it's not going to rule you out if you didn't do stellar. He said it's a bonus if you do well but, unless you did abissmally on the verbal/analytical, it probably isn't going to count against you.

If it's any help, I asked one of my old professors this question the other day (and, for context, he's on the graduate committee for one of the top programs that a lot of people on here are currently fretting about). He basically said that they couldn't care less about your math score and the other scores aren't all that big of a deal either. They look at them to make sure you are competent enough but it's not going to rule you out if you didn't do stellar. He said it's a bonus if you do well but, unless you did abissmally on the verbal/analytical, it probably isn't going to count against you.

nah i did great on the writing and verbal 90+ percentiles for both.  thanks y'all!

Edited by m-ttl