SLP California Applicants for Fall 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Redlands

SF State University 

SD State University

GRE: 159 Verbal; 149 Quan; 4

GPA: 3.329

EC: Tutoring, a lot of random volunteering, and teaching ESL in Mexico (taking a year off to do this)

I'm not a CA resident though so I'm nervous that will affect my application

• 2 weeks later...

We live in San Jose now and I just got an excellent job with the county, so my husband feels obligated to apply to San Jose State... He was rejected off the waitlist at CSUEB last year, so I'm not sure if he's going to apply there again. 

GPA: 4.0 2nd BA in Speech Patholgoy, 3.31 1st BA in Psychology

GRE: 160V, 153Q, 3.0AW. He's retaking the GRE to increase his AW score, at the end of November. 

He's on his 4th (I believe) year as a paraeducator and has worked with literally every population serviced by SPED. 

I'm applying to Redlands, San Diego, and East Bay

East Bay is my top pick based on its program - the Aphasia Clinic makes it a good match for me.  That being said, it's quite a reach.  I'm also from NY, so that will make it even more of a reach.

I transferred into the Communication Disorders program and finished in two years, but dealt with undiagnosed Lyme for the first year, so my GPA was significantly lower my first year than my second.  Not sure how to address this in the letter of intent (or if I should at all?).  Anyone with some pointers would be greatly appreciated!! :)
GPA: 3.65

GRE: 158 V, 153 Q, 4 AW
EC: Two semesters of research experience with graduate professor (presented at the ASHA conference in Atlanta), member of NYSSHLA

• 3 weeks later...

@alien lady: 

Some professors recommend addressing your bad grades if you feel you have a good explanation (ex: juggling jobs, school, internships, large workload) and can spin it in a way to strengthen your application. Hope this helps! 

I am applying to:

CSUN

U of Pacific

GPA: 2.77(overall) 3.35(last 60)

GRE: V-152, Q-151, AW 3.5

EC: Lived in Brazil for 2 years(fluent in Portuguese, somewhat in Spanish now), Certified Occupational Hearing Conservationist, 1 year working at Neurotherapy Clinic for ADD,ADHD, Austistic kids and adults,  1 year as SLP working in Charter Schools in Los Angeles area.

I went to CSUN for my last 60 units.

Hi I'm applying to San Diego State and I was actually wondering if anyone knows if it is harder to get into SLP programs in California if you are out-of-state?  And if so, why?  I feel like I have heard this mentioned in threads in the past but I don't understand why this is an issue.  I know for schools around me (Boston) it is not something that matters at all.

Applying to ODU and a few other distance learning programs.

UGPa, not sure how it will be averaged between two schools.  Post Bac-3.5, 12 hours of graduate work Health Science-3.4,  Starting pre reqs in January.

GRE V 154, Q 143, AW 5

EC Tutored a child with speech delays, Shadowed in hospital and school setting, tutored homeless teens, CASA training, volunteered at therapeutic horseback riding facility for a year (kids were emotionally disturbed, physically, mentally challenged and some were in autism spectrum, worked with children with autism for a year, 5 years experience teaching high school, two years as a subsitute teacher for all grade levels, three years preschool teaching assistant, taught First Aid/CPR, Three years volunteer experience with three different Junior Leagues. Taught English in China. Worked in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

@ladyinwaiting... California is extremely competitive even for in-state candidates because so many people try to come here from out of state. I don't know much about SDSU except it is considered the most competitive CSU program for CD. From my experience in post-bac, it's extremely hard to get into any CSU program at all when competing with undergrad and post-bac from that school, and the number of spots available to people are extremely small. For example, last year CSULB had nearly 400 applicants for 17 spots. 11 were filled by their post-bac students, plus a few from their undergrad... you can see that doesn't leave a lot of room for out of state or even other applicants from CA. Best of luck, though! It's all in the luck of the draw, I suppose!

@ladyinwaiting... California is extremely competitive even for in-state candidates because so many people try to come here from out of state. I don't know much about SDSU except it is considered the most competitive CSU program for CD. From my experience in post-bac, it's extremely hard to get into any CSU program at all when competing with undergrad and post-bac from that school, and the number of spots available to people are extremely small. For example, last year CSULB had nearly 400 applicants for 17 spots. 11 were filled by their post-bac students, plus a few from their undergrad... you can see that doesn't leave a lot of room for out of state or even other applicants from CA. Best of luck, though! It's all in the luck of the draw, I suppose!

Thanks!  Oh god, 11 out of 17 spots were filled by post-bacs?  I've heard that it is a competitive program to get into so I'm sure it's similar at SDSU.  Haha, oh well, at least I'm well prepared for a rejection letter.  I have other schools that I'm applying to but I was really hoping to end up somewhere warm B).  Fingers crossed that they consider me for one of the other spots!  

Just curious why are you applying to 2 schools only. You should apply more than 2 just to be safe side.

Hey,

I am actually applying to 10-15 schools.  only csun and U of P are California schools.

Psychology GPA. 3.47

ABA GPA 3.63

SLP 3.5

Last 60 3.6

Applying to. SJSU, SDSU, CSULB. CSU EB.

My GRE, might retake a 3rd time though. V:150, Q: 142. AW. Idk yet took it today

E.C: Training in ABA, Bilingual, research experience, autism aide.

I hope i get into a program! if not here, then out of state.

I'm applying to Redlands, San Diego, and East Bay

East Bay is my top pick based on its program - the Aphasia Clinic makes it a good match for me.  That being said, it's quite a reach.  I'm also from NY, so that will make it even more of a reach.

I transferred into the Communication Disorders program and finished in two years, but dealt with undiagnosed Lyme for the first year, so my GPA was significantly lower my first year than my second.  Not sure how to address this in the letter of intent (or if I should at all?).  Anyone with some pointers would be greatly appreciated!! :)

GPA: 3.65

GRE: 158 V, 153 Q, 4 AW

EC: Two semesters of research experience with graduate professor (presented at the ASHA conference in Atlanta), member of NYSSHLA

I was told East Bay is easier to get into than SDSU, no?

Redlands

SF State University 

SD State University

GRE: 159 Verbal; 149 Quan; 4

GPA: 3.329

EC: Tutoring, a lot of random volunteering, and teaching ESL in Mexico (taking a year off to do this)

I'm not a CA resident though so I'm nervous that will affect my application

Redlands for Fall 2013 accepted someone with a 3.1 GPA. so hey, it might work out for you. I heard the avg GPA for SFSU is only a 3.6, your GRE's are pretty good.

Hi!

I'm applying to CSULA, CSULB, CSUN, CSUF, Chapman, and Redlands. My husband has a good job here, so I have to stay local.

My undergrad GPA in French and Spanish is only 3.09 (I was pretty immature the first two years), but my post-bac GPA is 3.963.

My GRE scores are 165 V, 154 Q, and still waiting on AW.

I served as an assistant to a graduate clinician in my school's on-campus clinic for a quarter, and I've also volunteered at a rehab hospital since August, which I really love! I also have experience as a tutor in math and language arts, and I studied abroad in Bordeaux, France for a semester during undergrad. I am bilingual in Spanish, and my French is good, but not fluent.

This is my second time applying to grad school. I was wait-listed last year to my top choice, but I didn't get in. But I am very hopeful this year! I feel like I've done a lot to make myself more qualified. So fingers crossed!

• 1 month later...

ImpulsiveNixie- If that's the case for CSUS & CSUEB, my kid applied both schools. I will let you know if she gets accepted at least one of those two. :-) I heard Chico does the most. Someone I know had 3.9 gpa and everything else was great too, she was rejected at Chico but she got accepted at Sacramento. Btw, she was out of state student, this was last year.

Just got an email from University of the Pacific.  I applied for their "Early Applicant Pool"(dec. 6th deadline) and I did not get accepted but am automatically pushed over to the feb. 1st deadline pool of applicants and reevaluated again.  Better than a straight rejection right? :)

lol true!  But I found out that there were no rejections from the early applicant pool.  If you were not accepted, then you were moved to the regular applicant pool.  But yea, still better than a rejection I guess! :)

lol true!  But I found out that there were no rejections from the early applicant pool.  If you were not accepted, then you were moved to the regular applicant pool.  But yea, still better than a rejection I guess! :)

twinguy7, I'm in the same boat with UOP - I'm not really feeling great about it. Just curious, how did you find out that there were no rejections from the early applicant pool? Does this mean we still have a chance now that we've been moved to the regular applicant pool?

I emailed the director like it said in the email.  He said everyone gets sent to the regular application pool who did not get accepted.  IT does mean we still have a chance but I was also told that there are the same amount of apps that come in for the reg app pool so its still a smaller chance.