Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

now that all my applications are in should I let the professors I have been in contact with know?

Some professors asked that I let them know (2 schools), so I did. The others, I did not. I'd also be interested in the proper etiquette here. I definitely plan to contact them after being accepted though.

Hello everyone!

I wish I stumbled onto this online resource sooner, I mostly just spoke with professors, PI's and other graduate students on how to write my application. Good to hear everyone who has been accepted from UVA, University of Washington, Emory!

Anyhow,

Interest: Analytical/Atmospheric/Environmental

Went to University of Toronto in Canada (I'm Canadian, so International Student)

GPA: 3.92 Major GPA: 3.90

GRE: 170, 164, 5.5 (Q, V, A)

cGRE: 800 (76 %ile)

One summer research experience (NSERC) and one undergraduate thesis project for research experience

One publication (3rd author) in press

1 great LOR, 1 really good LOR, 1 decent LOR

NSERC USRA, and multiple chemistry and science academic scholarships through University of Toronto (William and Sarah Gollop Memorial Scholarship first three years of undergrad, etc.)

Applied to: UC Irvine, UMich Ann Arbor, University of Colorado (Boulder), Berkeley, and University of Toronto

I've spoken in depth with professors at some of these schools, and right from the start, they sounded enthusiastic. I hope that this application is strong enough to get into most, if not all of these schools! Anyways, does anyone have an idea when Irvine starts to send out acceptance letters, or if anyone has already gotten one? I'm asking because the deadline was December 1st, and many of the other schools' deadlines are later.

Congrats to everyone who got admitted...v nt seen many offers to internationals so still keeping my fingers crossed...:D Surprised that UIUC did not send out many offers this week...So expecting a quiet next couple of weeks due to holidays?

International, new college, I'm in the second ever class, integrated master's program in chemistry, 9.15/10 GPA, 3 pubs in J. Phys. Chem. C with two first author and a second, 4 years in a research lab, was at the Lindau meet last summer, will be at the freie university Berlin from Jan to mar 2014, three very strong lors.

How's 27500$ for stipend at Irvine? I don't deal with $$$ all that often :D.

International, new college, I'm in the second ever class, integrated master's program in chemistry, 9.15/10 GPA, 3 pubs in J. Phys. Chem. C with two first author and a second, 4 years in a research lab, was at the Lindau meet last summer, will be at the freie university Berlin from Jan to mar 2014, three very strong lors.

How's 27500$ for stipend at Irvine? I don't deal with $$$ all that often :D.

California is expensive, but you're unlikely to find many places that offer more without a fellowship of some sort. Although, the money is really all relative depending on the location's cost of living.

@Chemisto I am an international student and heard back from U of Washington.

And also Washington people do you mind sharing your stipend?

$27,696/year with the stipulation of 1-3 quarters TAship (if I read the offer letter right!) and a $5000 over-the-first-year Excellence in Chemistry Graduate Fellowship Award.

From my other accepts and general Googling, ~$28,000 is about average for most programs. Keep in mind, though, that you have to pay taxes on it, so expect to lose, I dunno, maybe 25-30% of it in taxes depending on where you go (let me know if that's a wildly inaccurate estimate for fed+state tax average!)

Definitely didn't expect anyone to be working this week.

(Congratulations!)

Trust me, academia never sleeps. Even on Christmas Eve most of the admin staff were in for at least a half day, if the faculty weren't physically present I bet they were still "working remotely". It doesn't help that the weather in this part of the world feels more Spring Break than Christmas Break. ;)