Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

For those of us who haven't heard back from any School, let's keep on watching and praying. Let's re-vitalise our hope. Let's see how this coming weeks go. Sure, waiting is not easy! I believe our first acceptance will come soon. You may want to read this to while away time...

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/2/1/happiness-self-worth/

I am confused! What do you guys think?

Here is the high-light of an Email I received.

The GAC has completed the review of your application.....We are pleased to inform you that you have been admitted to the graduate program in Chemistry...... In particular the admissions committee was quite impressed with your academic achievements and feel you would be an excellent candidate to join our program. While we are not able to offer you admission to the program at this time, we would like to offer you the opportunity to come and visit campus. Please provide us with a list of your top 3 research advisors and we will provide you with a short list of possible dates and begin to arrange travel with you. Once you have visited campus we will be able to make a final decision regarding your admission. 
Edited by 5FPh

I have a question.

I applied to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, which do the rolling admission system. 

I submitted the application on 1st, Jan, but still haven't heard from it. 

As the university has the rolling admission method, someone said that it's weird that I haven't heard from it unless I am rejected.

So the question is...do you guys think I am rejected? I am almost disappointed....

I have a question.

I applied to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, which do the rolling admission system. 

I submitted the application on 1st, Jan, but still haven't heard from it. 

As the university has the rolling admission method, someone said that it's weird that I haven't heard from it unless I am rejected.

So the question is...do you guys think I am rejected? I am almost disappointed....

I don't think so. Since the deadline for UW-Madison is on Jan 1st, they probably have a lot of applications to go through and they just haven't gotten to yours yet. Have you contacted anyone over there about your application?

I just created an account, but has been lurking around for awhile. Getting pretty worried about schools, as I haven't gotten "accepted" to any yet. Anyone in inorganic/solid state accepted to any schools yet?

The only thing I got at the moment is an offer for a paid flight to MSU to look at their school, talk with faculties, and look at facilities. It's not an acceptance though.

Edited by Boron

I just created an account, but has been lurking around for awhile. Getting pretty worried about schools, as I haven't gotten "accepted" to any yet. Anyone in inorganic/solid state accepted to any schools yet?

The only thing I got at the moment is an offer for a paid flight to MSU to look at their school, talk with faculties, and look at facilities. It's not an acceptance though.

I'm an inorganic/solid state chemist, electrocatalysis and interfaces in particular. Got accepted into Washington. 

I am confused! What do you guys think?

Here is the high-light of an Email I received.

It sounds very confusing. Like the previous poster said, try to contact them to clarify the situation. If I may decipher it correctly, I think they are trying to say that your application has gone to the next stage, and you may have to visit them to see if the faculties you are interested in would give you a thumbs up.

Edited by Boron

Any organic chemists hear back in the past few days?

I literally had a span of 5 days where I heard back from 3 schools and then had a complete lull...I'm hoping this upcoming week is the big one for the rest of my schools because if not, then I'll have to start planning visits without hearing back...which kinda stresses me out

I literally had a span of 5 days where I heard back from 3 schools and then had a complete lull...I'm hoping this upcoming week is the big one for the rest of my schools because if not, then I'll have to start planning visits without hearing back...which kinda stresses me out

Hmm ... I would think PIs would finish contacting admitted students over the nice, long weekend. Good to know I'm not alone. Harvard's probably going to bulk notify admits this coming week, but hoping to hear from other schools as well....

Edited by Strobb

I've already had to do this. One of the schools that I applied to only gave me a couple of days to RSVP for the visitation weekend. I still haven't heard back from half of the schools that I applied to. There's a chance I may have to end up cancelling a visit; I don't want to miss more class than is really necessary to select a school.

Any organic chemists hear back in the past few days?

Heard back from 3/5 of the universities I applied to, but its been a while since the last one.

Edited by Thecrabman

Judging from past years, this might be a big week for Yale, Columbia, and maybe Penn. Did anyone here apply  to, or hear from, Penn?

I applied to Penn. But speaking to some grad students I know, Penn can get back to people notoriously late in the game... 

I just got into MIT yesterday!

anyone have info about the stipend?

Congrats! We should plan to meet up with fellow GradCafe users during visitation. The stipend is ~$2750 a month and thank God because Cambridge is outrageously expensive. I thought Atlanta was bad but no comparison!