Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Hey guys,

I was going to visit a school during its visiting weekend, but now I can't come because of personal reason. I don't want to be seemed rude. If I politely say them not to come to its visiting, would it have a negative effect on my graduate school life? 

Thanks, 

That's not rude at all. Program coordinators are usually the nicest and most understanding people so if you just let them know, they definitely will understand (and they definitely won't think of you any differently). You can also try and schedule a personal visit when you talk to them.

I am getting more and more anxious about UCLA's decision! It's so nerve-wracking because I want to call them and ask for my decision, but I don't want to get rejected over the phone. :/ I just want to get the decision e-mail already and stop worrying!

Hi all,

My sister wanted to apply for a chemistry phd at columbia. She has a 3.43 GPA from city college, 4 years of lab experience (not research) and 60% percentile in gre. Does she have a chance in getting in? She chose columbia because she lives near there and it's the only chemistry phd program that she's interested in. Thanks for your time

Hi all,

My sister wanted to apply for a chemistry phd at columbia. She has a 3.43 GPA from city college, 4 years of lab experience (not research) and 60% percentile in gre. Does she have a chance in getting in? She chose columbia because she lives near there and it's the only chemistry phd program that she's interested in. Thanks for your time

without research, it's going to be extremely hard

Decision time is coming up, and I've narrowed it to two programs, both in NYC: Columbia or Tri-Institutional Program in Chemical Biology (Rockefeller, Sloan-Kettering, Weill Cornell). Thoughts?

Decision time is coming up, and I've narrowed it to two programs, both in NYC: Columbia or Tri-Institutional Program in Chemical Biology (Rockefeller, Sloan-Kettering, Weill Cornell). Thoughts?

Great options.  Is teaching experience important for your future career?  Not sure you can get it at the medical school programs. 

Great options.  Is teaching experience important for your future career?  Not sure you can get it at the medical school programs. 

I don't think I want to teach in the future, but teaching experience could be beneficial nonetheless.

I don't think I want to teach in the future, but teaching experience could be beneficial nonetheless.

You might be able to TA grad classes--I don't know.  I ruled out medical school/research institute programs because I wanted to TA undergrads.  tbh, I would probably decide on based on where I clicked with more advisers.  Maybe a pro/con list? 

I am getting more and more anxious about UCLA's decision! It's so nerve-wracking because I want to call them and ask for my decision, but I don't want to get rejected over the phone. :/ I just want to get the decision e-mail already and stop worrying!

Word on the street (ok, on facebook...from a current UCLA grad student) is that their yield was something like twice as high as they planned for last year.  As a result, they cut their offers way down this year to balance things out.  So they clearly waitlisted or rejected people that would have gotten in another year.  I haven't heard yet either, but expect they'd probably say more after the April 15th deadline. 

Edited by reactiontime

Only 3 days left. Anyone still deciding where to go?

Yes, very torn between Colorado State (Biochemistry) and Vanderbilt (Chemistry). I had a way better visit at Colorado State (because the Vanderbilt visit was so last minute) but the facilities (especially NMR as I'm interested in structural studies) and funding seem better at Vanderbilt. Such a big decision...

Edited by Reidp

Wow. Those are tough decisions. I don't envy you right now. Good luck and whatever you do, don't forget to send in an acceptance to somewhere by Tuesday!

It's a tough decision but I don't think I can necessarily make a wrong one. I believe both are really good programs. Same goes to you, Brooks. Those are both great options.