LOR input

Like everyone else I am up to my neck in grad school applications. I swear its a full time job itself, lol! Background:

3.6/3.7 GPA

taking GRE in a few weeks

Nontraditional student (married w/2 kids)

I have my letters of recommendation in the works but I had an idea and wanted some input. I have been a massage therapist for the past 12 years and have recently startied exploring any potential crossover into the field of speech. I have several clients that have been with me for years and I was thinking of asking one of them (CEO, Ivy League educated) to write a letter on my behalf from the side of a patient. He can't speak of my academic ability which is really the point but since I have those covered, I thought this might be a ice addition...kind of thinking outside the box.

Yes/no? Thoughts?

I say no. I've probably gone through more than 50 websites while doing my research and most schools prefer recommendations from faculty members--basically people who can talk about your academic potential.

Good luck! :)  

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question about LOR as well.  After my undergrad program, I completed a (pretty unique) volunteer teaching program where I taught two years in the inner-city and was able to get my Masters at Northwestern on scholarship.  I had one of my supervisors write a LOR for me so that he could explain about the program and sing my praises. :)  I wanted him to write me a letter because I feel like that experience sets me apart from other candidates; however, I also had two "normal" professors write me LORs as well.  Do you think schools will look down on me having a non-academic recommender?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question about LOR as well.  After my undergrad program, I completed a (pretty unique) volunteer teaching program where I taught two years in the inner-city and was able to get my Masters at Northwestern on scholarship.  I had one of my supervisors write a LOR for me so that he could explain about the program and sing my praises. :)  I wanted him to write me a letter because I feel like that experience sets me apart from other candidates; however, I also had two "normal" professors write me LORs as well.  Do you think schools will look down on me having a non-academic recommender?

All of the schools where I applied last year required 3 references, and 2 of them had to be academic (CSD preferably).  I had a colleague where I worked (I taught music) write me a glowing recommendation (in her words) about my work ethic, ability to learn / teach outside my main content area, and overall teaching ability.  The other two were two of my pre-req (online only) professors, so in my case it was critical to have someone who knew me face-to-face.  The other recommendations were great - one let me read it, and I heard feedback from one school about my LOR's in general.  So... if the LOR requirement is 3, shoot for 2 out of 3 to be CSD faculty.  If LOR requirement is 4, at least 2 should be CSD faculty, and that is only in your circumstance, where you have a prior Masters (so do I) and that professor can provide a GREAT reference of your academics even though it is outside CSD.  

That being said, double check the LOR requirements of each school before you ask for the letters. 

Hope that makes sense. :-)

That's where I'm torn... I have the 2 academic professors as well as a local well known expert SLP who I have been working with. So I have all the required and was thinking of adding the other for good measure. Still not sure but leaning towards no.

• 1 month later...

My most recent school experience was eight years ago! Most of my professors have left. All accept one and I'm not sure she remembered me enough to sing my praises. I find it odd that they want professors even for non traditional students. I am in no way knocking what anyone is saying--the research is there. It just seems backwards. My recommendation letters are from former employers, while none of them are Speech Pathologist, they are in education--which is the area where I hope to work as a Speech Pathologist. The letters, as far as I know, show my work ethic, ability to function in a fast paced and ever changing environment, and my passion for the students that I taught. Hopefully, that counts for something.