California MSW programs---How competitive?

Sbjj0701

Hi All, 

I am interested in applying to MSW programs mostly in CA.  I have heard a variety of things about how difficult it is to get into certain schools (both CSUs and UCs) and how others have a high acceptance rate (USC, etc). I'm so curious about what certain schools require as far as experience goes.  I have a solid GPA from my undergrad, I volunteered some in undergrad, but have only been working directly in the field (full-time counselor/case manager for DV survivors) for about a year.  I hear most programs require a huge amount of prior experience, while others are more lenient.  I'm anxious to start applying, but am wondering if it's worth it to try now, or to wait until I have more work experience under my belt. 

What have your experiences been with this? Which schools seemed to care less about experience and which schools require older, more experienced applicants?  

Any input helps :)   Thanks everyone!!!

Hii.  I recently got my MSW from UCLA and the experience you described should be enough to make you a competitive applicant.  The personal statement is the most important thing they look at and they will want to see what your experience has taught you, along with how it inspired your passion for social work and shaped your career goals.  If you have any questions or want personal statement help feel free to contact me (uclasocialworker@gmail.com).

The UCLA MSW students are putting on a "Diversity Recruitment Fair" on November 16 that is a great resource for anyone starting the application process.  Even for people not considering UCLA specifically, the information will be valuable in applying to any MSW programs and they will take a look at your personal statement.  Click here for details and consider stopping by if you are in LA.

Thank you all so much for your help!

UCLA MSW, I will definitely want to be in touch about personal statement help.  I plan on applying next year.  One other question I had for you is regarding your GRE score?  Did you earn a competitive score/does UCLA require a score?  Thank you!

They recently changed it so that the GRE is only needed if your GPA is below 3.3. Even then, the department gives little weight to GRE scores because they recognize that it is not a culturally competent measure.  

Thank you all so much for your help!

UCLA MSW, I will definitely want to be in touch about personal statement help.  I plan on applying next year.  One other question I had for you is regarding your GRE score?  Did you earn a competitive score/does UCLA require a score?  Thank you!

They recently changed it so that the GRE is only needed if your GPA is below 3.3. Even then, the department gives little weight to GRE scores because they recognize that it is not a culturally competent measure.  

Gotcha!  It looks like Berkeley may be the only school requesting one regardless of your GPA...interesting!  Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They accept around 45 regular full time students. Even less extended three and four year students. A few Ph.D students and some dual degree program students. I applied for the full time two year program and thats why those numbers in particular stood out to me

From the SDSU information session I remember they said they were looking for at least a 4 on the writing portion of the GRE. The other portions do not matter. If you have at least a 3.5 GPA your at least in the running. They said GPA is 50% of the application. The personal statement is the next most important piece. I remember mentally checking off things in my head because I was obsessed with getting in there. Your going to want to have stellar references too. I cant remember off the top of my head how many applications they receive each year. I want to give you a number but I am not certain. If I find it in my old notes I will pass it on. Hopefully current/past students or others who were admitted will chime in as well