SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys!

Stupid question: How do we know what committee / category we're in? Does it say on the letter, or is this something we indicated on the application? 

I don't want to pin too many hopes on the wait list, but I'm just curious to know where I am in relation to other people. Going by the score alone, it seems like mine is very close to the scores of some successful applicants. But, it sounds like that may not be a comparable figure.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys!

Stupid question: How do we know what committee / category we're in? Does it say on the letter, or is this something we indicated on the application? 

I don't want to pin too many hopes on the wait list, but I'm just curious to know where I am in relation to other people. Going by the score alone, it seems like mine is very close to the scores of some successful applicants. But, it sounds like that may not be a comparable figure.

Yeah, that's something that we indicated in our applications, which was basically to select a committee to evaluate our applications. SSHRC explains it here:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx

It's kind of hard to say what the cut-off for the waitlist is, since scores are committee-specific, but I'm guessing it could be somewhere between 11 and 12? Looks like most people who received a score of 12 and up were successful. I'm sure Vanier/Trudeau applicants will be declining their SSHRC, so there's hope!

Edited by Konstantin

Waitlisted for Group E. Score was 10.9 - seems pretty low to get off the waitlist but if anyone feels like sharing their scores it might give me an idea of where on that list we are (feel free to PM).

Congrats to all successful applicants, and best of luck to waitlisters and those starting to think of next year's competition.

Edited by ArcticApp

SSHRC score is 11.950/20 with a Category B in the social sciences (not saying which sub-discipline) which makes me wonder if I was one of last to get it. Not complaining. I'll take it!

I also just found out I received the provincial one, with a score of 17.80/20. Funny. It was the exact same proposal for both, so different committees value different things. 

Still waiting in the UK.  Very frustrating, esp. considering how fast the letter came after round 1.

Same! Round 1 were posted 11 Feb and arrived 15 Feb in Cardiff, which must be a record, but I was convinced I would have known by now. Fingers crossed we'll know tomorrow or Saturday. Good luck!

Oh wow, Zaftig! Congrats to you!

My score is very, very, verrrrry close to yours, and I was wait-listed, which makes me wonder: do I dare get my hopes up for this wait list?

But, then again, we could be in different committees, so maybe the score comparison is meaningless. 

First post here after finding out that I'm getting a Cat B award with 14/20.  Still overwhelmed with navigating the administrative process.  According to the form requesting the first annual installment, if we ask for the cheque to be mailed to a non-Canadian address, they will issue the funds in that foreign currency.  Any ideas on what kind of exchange rate they will use?

I wonder if the reason for releasing the results so late is to give some time in-between the release of MA award and Phd awards? Given that SSHRC asks us to accept the awards through email or fax, I'm sure that their computers/fax machines would implode if they were to receive 2000 messages at once.

Which also leads to my question.. has anyone received a response from SSHRC after accepting their award?

Yeah, that's something that we indicated in our applications, which was basically to select a committee to evaluate our applications. SSHRC explains it here:

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/apply-demande/background-renseignements/doctoral_committees-comites_doctorat-eng.aspx

It's kind of hard to say what the cut-off for the waitlist is, since scores are committee-specific, but I'm guessing it could be somewhere between 11 and 12? Looks like most people who received a score of 12 and up were successful. I'm sure Vanier/Trudeau applicants will be declining their SSHRC, so there's hope!

My understanding is that SSHRC only prohibits people from holding another Tricouncil award but private foundation or other scholarships are stackable with SSHRC. Not entirely fair in my view, but apparently it happens.

Just received a letter in the mail granting me an award. This is excellent news for those of you on the waitlist, since I'm almost certain to decline it, go elsewhere, and re-apply in a year.

Hey All, 

I just wanted to inform you of the provincial criteria for scoring, which may give you all an indication of how SSHRC does it, especially for those reapplying next year. It's in French but I posted my translations in brackets. 

Dossier universitaire [university dossier, likely transcripts, conferences, publications, etc.]
(6 pts)

Aptitude et experience en recherche [Aptitude and experience in research area]
(6 pts)

Qualite et interet scientifique du projet de recherche [Quality and scientific interest of the research project]
(8 pts)

------
(Total on 20 pts)

Hmm... three days have gone by and I haven't received a confirmation. Should I be concerned? .... I kind of am.

I got an auto reply saying they will respond in 4 business days. So I have not got a confirmed confirmation either. But it is not yet 4 business days. I also sent them by email Form 1 for first payment (as I had asked for a May start date and I am not in a Canadian school so I have to send the form myself).

I got an auto reply saying they will respond in 4 business days. So I have not got a confirmed confirmation either. But it is not yet 4 business days. I also sent them by email Form 1 for first payment (as I had asked for a May start date and I am not in a Canadian school so I have to send the form myself).

mistralesque, did you request a May start date because your programme starts over the summer?

mistralesque, did you request a May start date because your programme starts over the summer?

No, it was because I am already in the PhD program (2nd year) and I figured it will be helpful to get the money early.

Ah right, thanks for your response.

I had just wondered if it was possible to receive the first payment prior to your first term in the programme, e.g. if your programme is ideally 3 years long but the award's tenable for longer. I don't think it is possible though.

Ah right, thanks for your response.

I had just wondered if it was possible to receive the first payment prior to your first term in the programme, e.g. if your programme is ideally 3 years long but the award's tenable for longer. I don't think it is possible though.

They seem to have considered all the loopholes. If you read the award holders guide, they have all these instructions on when you can avail of the award. You have to be a registered student- the payments are half-yearly and you have to get a confirmation of registration for every semester. You cannot be working full-time, etc etc. 

They seem to have considered all the loopholes. If you read the award holders guide, they have all these instructions on when you can avail of the award. You have to be a registered student- the payments are half-yearly and you have to get a confirmation of registration for every semester. You cannot be working full-time, etc etc. 

Woah, I didn't realize that we had to get confirmation for every semester. I'd assumed every academic year. Stringent! Understandable though, when they are distributing so much money.