SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

External applicant (Oxford, UK), just received notice that I qualified for the national round.  Letter was dated 11th of Feb.  Final results due in April.  242 application recommended out of 676.

Thanks for sharing oxforddphil. Have you applied to SSHRC before? I swear I've seen you on one of the Grad Cafe forums either last year or the year before.

I like how they say results will be out in April, as if there is hope that they will mail them before the last week of the month. Can you imagine if they sent them out in the beginning of the month? *faint* lol.

Congrats on making it through to the final round of the competition!

External applicant (Oxford, UK), just received notice that I qualified for the national round.  Letter was dated 11th of Feb.  Final results due in April.  242 application recommended out of 676.

Congrats, oxforddphil. But yikes... I haven't received any word and I'm not too far away in the US, not feeling so good about that :/

Safferz, I'm an external candidate from the US too, and I haven't received anything either. Let's look on the bright side, and just hope that our mail is late! :)

Does anyone know if they send you a letter either way, or do they only send you a letter if you move to the national competition?

Safferz, I'm an external candidate from the US too, and I haven't received anything either. Let's look on the bright side, and just hope that our mail is late! :)

Does anyone know if they send you a letter either way, or do they only send you a letter if you move to the national competition?

SSHRC notifies both A and B-listed candidates by mail, and roughly around the same time. It will be a thin envelope containing 1 page, if I remember correctly (I was a direct applicant once).

I see we're also both in Mass, so I hope you're right :) I kinda wish I never checked this thread because now I'll be anxious about checking my mail each day lol. It's still a few hours until the mail lady delivers today's mail *dies*

I see we're also both in Mass, so I hope you're right :) I kinda wish I never checked this thread because now I'll be anxious about checking my mail each day lol. It's still a few hours until the mail lady delivers today's mail *dies*

OH WAIT. No mail today, I always forget about American holidays :(

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this.

sshrc has a twitter feed (SSHRC_CRSH) that posts approximate deadlines. Apparently the other year they posted when the letters went out.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this.

sshrc has a twitter feed (SSHRC_CRSH) that posts approximate deadlines. Apparently the other year they posted when the letters went out.

Yes, I do recall them having a twitter feed which I begin to check in a rather anxious manner towards the end of April. I believe they were actually a bit late in announcing when the results were released last year, as in the date the results were actually mailed didn't quite match the twitter feed. That said, I will still check it constantly in April! (Just as I will check this forum constantly to see when people start posting their results!)

Mistralesque, I think I remember seeing somewhere on the Trudeau website that they send out interview invites to finalists around mid-March. So, I guess if one doesn't hear back till then, it might be safe to assume the worst.

I wonder if they will notify everyone, regardless of whether one makes it to the final stage or not.

Good luck!

Edited by Carthage32

Mistralesque, I think I remember seeing somewhere on the Trudeau website that they send out interview invites to finalists around mid-March. So, I guess if one doesn't hear back till then, it might be safe to assume the worst.

I wonder if they will notify everyone, regardless of whether one makes it to the final stage or not.

Good luck!

Thanks Carthage32. I am not holding my breath but I just want to be done with the waiting game. SSHRC is bad enough!

Hi everyone,

Also an external candidate (not even in a program yet) and was notified I have been moved on to the national competition. Congratulations to everyone and fingers crossed.

Here's a question for all of the current students in the U.S. (which is where I'll be studying come this fall): if you are on a J-1 (scholar) visa, does receiving the SSHRC award mean that you are compelled to return to Canada upon completion of studies? If it makes a difference to your answer, SSHRC will not be a primary funding source for my PhD as I'm fully funded by the uni. I talked to the international student services people at the uni and the advisor insisted that if I get any money from my home country I would be compelled to go back but speaking with a couple of other students (Mexico and U.K.) it doesn't sound like that is their understanding, so I'm left very confused.

I know that on F-1 it doesn't matter about where your funding comes from, but I'm bringing my spouse to the US too and he needs to be able to work so I have to get a J-1 visa but now I'm paranoid that if I take the SSHRC I will have to return and so my options once I go on the job market will be severely limited.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi everyone,

Also an external candidate (not even in a program yet) and was notified I have been moved on to the national competition. Congratulations to everyone and fingers crossed.

Here's a question for all of the current students in the U.S. (which is where I'll be studying come this fall): if you are on a J-1 (scholar) visa, does receiving the SSHRC award mean that you are compelled to return to Canada upon completion of studies? If it makes a difference to your answer, SSHRC will not be a primary funding source for my PhD as I'm fully funded by the uni. I talked to the international student services people at the uni and the advisor insisted that if I get any money from my home country I would be compelled to go back but speaking with a couple of other students (Mexico and U.K.) it doesn't sound like that is their understanding, so I'm left very confused.

I know that on F-1 it doesn't matter about where your funding comes from, but I'm bringing my spouse to the US too and he needs to be able to work so I have to get a J-1 visa but now I'm paranoid that if I take the SSHRC I will have to return and so my options once I go on the job market will be severely limited.

Thanks for any insight.

I think you are right that SSHRC will put you under the purview of the two-year rule. But you can get a no-objection waiver from the Canadian embassy if you have to change your status to H or anything else. The two-year J1 rule is very tricky- you can get dinged even if you get an NSF grant or work in a NSF grant project. I would check with the Canadian embassy to see how easy it is to get the waiver, especially if it just for SSHRC.

Edited by mistralesque

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any insight.

I have never heard of SSHRC compelling recipients to return to Canada. What?  :blink:

It is to do with the US J-1 visa. If you get any governmental grants on a J-1 visa, you have to go back to your home country for two years. Tricky part in the OP's situation is that (s)he is already fully funded. So it is very difficult to say if SSHRC will trigger the two-year rule (my hunch is that it will not- it is not like a Fulbright! But US visa processes can be very confounding and arbitrary). But you can still get waivers. Here is a good post detailing the process for a waiver and if you need one (it depends on what it says on your visa). Hopefully, someone who has got a SSHRC on a J-1 visa will have something more useful to say than my post  :unsure:

http://usainternship.com/how-to-waive-your-2-year-home-residency-requirement/

Thanks Carthage32. I am not holding my breath but I just want to be done with the waiting game. SSHRC is bad enough!

Yeah me too. I am not at all hopeful about the Trudeau award because it's such a long shot. It would be nice just to get a decision and move on.

It is to do with the US J-1 visa. If you get any governmental grants on a J-1 visa, you have to go back to your home country for two years. Tricky part in the OP's situation is that (s)he is already fully funded. So it is very difficult to say if SSHRC will trigger the two-year rule (my hunch is that it will not- it is not like a Fulbright! But US visa processes can be very confounding and arbitrary). But you can still get waivers. Here is a good post detailing the process for a waiver and if you need one (it depends on what it says on your visa). Hopefully, someone who has got a SSHRC on a J-1 visa will have something more useful to say than my post  :unsure:

Oh! That's really interesting, I had no idea.

Thanks for this - really appreciate your perspective and the link. Will definitely report what I find in case others find it helpful.