SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

Does anyone know the timeline for applicants who applied directly to SSHRC back in November? Are we supposed to hear anything before the final committees decide our fates in April (May?)?

Does anyone know the timeline for applicants who applied directly to SSHRC back in November? Are we supposed to hear anything before the final committees decide our fates in April (May?)?

I was a direct applicant in 2011 and SSHRC notified me at the end of February that my application was not entered into the final round. I believe that this was the initial selection process that direct applicants to SSHRC undergo, which is equivalent to how universities rank their applicants before forwarding their applications to the national competition.

You know what is unfortunate, is the timing of the MA SSHRC. The way it's adjudicated means that I won't know if I get it (for any of the schools I applied to) until after the acceptance deadline. Grrr

Edited by ereissoup

You know what is unfortunate, is the timing of the MA SSHRC. The way it's adjudicated means that I won't know if I get it (for any of the schools I applied to) until after the acceptance deadline. Grrr

Bad timing seems to be part of SSHRC's mandate. I was supposed to be spending this term at Ludwig Maximilian Universitat in Germany this term,  but since I hadn't heard back from SSHRC regarding the travel supplement I decided it was too much and that I was not going to go. Lo and behold I return to my university in Canada to find out that they just awarded me $5200 after the term started, which would have been just about what I needed. Since it was too late to go and I already had accepted a TA position here, I had to decline the award, and like you, won't know about further SSHRC funding until after I had to decided where to do my next degree.

Edited by Kirialax

Wish I would have found out earlier about this forum. Last years results.

In my case, I was not choosen for a SSHRC scholarship. scoreed 8/30  on my second try, 3,7pts less than the year before. Same application, with more awards and publications, and better thesis proposal.

Education/Media

3.95GPA (2 years in my doctoral studies)

No conference presentation

3 publications (1 first author peer-reviewed, 1 2nd author peer-reviewed, 1 contribution un-peer-reviewed report)

2 scholarships for academic achievement (doctoral studies)

3 scholarships for academic achievement (masters studies)

2 scholarships for academic achievement and made the Dean's list twice (bachelor studies)

3 years experience as a research assistant

Wish I would have found out earlier about this forum. Last years results.

In my case, I was not choosen for a SSHRC scholarship. scoreed 8/30  on my second try, 3,7pts less than the year before. Same application, with more awards and publications, and better thesis proposal.

Education/Media

3.95GPA (2 years in my doctoral studies)

No conference presentation

3 publications (1 first author peer-reviewed, 1 2nd author peer-reviewed, 1 contribution un-peer-reviewed report)

2 scholarships for academic achievement (doctoral studies)

3 scholarships for academic achievement (masters studies)

2 scholarships for academic achievement and made the Dean's list twice (bachelor studies)

3 years experience as a research assistant

Welcome to the thread, Srevils311! Thanks for sharing your stats. I'll post my stats once the results are released in April. Let's hope that we all have better luck applying this time around!

Welcome to the thread, Srevils311! Thanks for sharing your stats. I'll post my stats once the results are released in April. Let's hope that we all have better luck applying this time around!

Good luck to you and everyone els, unfortunately for me I'm not eligible anymore.

Is it the end of April yet? I'm impatient already >< Not a good sign.

Definitely not April yet! Snow is still on the ground where I am :)

Edited by Konstantin

Logged into my online SSHRC account today for no apparent reason and noticed that my profile is completely blank -- the 2014/15 application has been removed. Completely forgot that they delete old data from their accounts every year. At least it's a sign than things are moving on SSHRC's end!

Logged into my online SSHRC account today for no apparent reason and noticed that my profile is completely blank -- the 2014/15 application has been removed. Completely forgot that they delete old data from their accounts every year. At least it's a sign than things are moving on SSHRC's end!

This prompted me to check and mine's gone too, as per usual

This prompted me to check and mine's gone too, as per usual

By the looks of it, my university will be releasing the results of the OGS competition roughly at the same time as SSHRC results are coming out -- sometime in April. Who doesn't love a good heart attack!

Edited by Konstantin

By the looks of it, my university will be releasing the results of the OGS competition roughly at the same time as SSHRC results are coming out -- sometime in April. Who doesn't love a good heart attack!

Mine too! Hopefully at least one of them comes through so I can pay for a psychologist to help talk me down from all the anxiety the end of April is bound to bring ><

Mine too! Hopefully at least one of them comes through so I can pay for a psychologist to help talk me down from all the anxiety the end of April is bound to bring ><

At least we will all experience anxiety together, not that I don't advocate keeping your mind off the scholarships in the meantime :)

So...anyone in the camp believe that the early Budget may lead to early notification? 

...I do not.

I'm with you on this one. I think that the timing of the budget has little effect on SSHRC's timeliness. But I'd like to know if the 2014/15 budget will affect the number of awards or whether the awards of the current SSHRC competition are funded from last year's budget. I know that SSHRC's budget has been fluctuating, but mainly decreased over the last few years, as were CIHR's and NSERC's budgets. 

Edited by Konstantin

My guess is that the timing of the budget makes no difference for SSHRC. A prof of mine has served on SSHRC committees at the Ottawa level before and they receive their invitations to review proposals and the timeline for completing reviews well in advance (as in Fall of last year). I don't imagine those would change if the government happens to release the budget at an earlier or later date.

As for the number of awards that will be distributed based on the budget....who knows. If there is a difference it will probably be minimal - a small decrease that will reveal itself over the years as a gradual change rather than as a dramatic decrease from one year to the next.

As for the number of awards that will be distributed based on the budget....who knows. If there is a difference it will probably be minimal - a small decrease that will reveal itself over the years as a gradual change rather than as a dramatic decrease from one year to the next.

You might be right, but $14 million a year budget cuts could have some immediate and severe consequences. Here's an article by the CAUT I found recently: http://www.cautbulletin.ca/en_article.asp?articleid=3450.

Out of the three Tri-Council agencies, SSHRC seems to be suffering the most from funding cuts: 10% between 2007 and 2012.

True, but we also have to consider where the majority of SSHRCs funding money goes to. It's not to students, not by a long shot. The BIG SSHRC grants go to professors that are applying for 6 figure grants. While the number of graduate student scholarships that SSHRC distributes certainly add up, it doesn't compare to the hundreds of thousands of dollars that go towards large scale multi-year research endeavours. This leads me to think that the cuts will be distributed in such a way that no one area in particular will feel the full impact. Rather, cumulative cuts across a wide variety of their grants and scholarships that SSHRC provides will have the affect of an overall continual shrinking (much as we have already observed over the last 5 years) rather than a dramatic 'gutting' of any one area.

I agree that while no particular group of SSHRC applicants will bear the brunt of funding cuts, I am still not completely convinced that the cuts are distributed in a somewhat uniform manner across SSHRC's programs. Decisions are made at the federal level to determine which of SSHRC's areas are to grow and which are to wither. Of course, there is a political agenda that dictates what "priority" research areas should be enhanced, meaning that some programs will likely see reduced budgets. Luckily, doctoral scholarships/fellowships have had either consistent federal funding or a slight increase in funding in the last few years, so there is no reason for concern just yet!