SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

So... How's everyone doing? I successfully managed to forget about sshrc for about 4 days.

Heh, I actually checked the thread yesterday and wondered if I should bump it back up to the first page. I'm trying to stay busy preparing for my comprehensive exams next month and thinking about my summer research project instead of dwelling on SSHRC related thoughts, but it's tough! It's not even anxiety about getting the final results for me, I've been fantasizing about all the things winning a SSHRC would enable me to do next year. I can't remember ever wanting something this badly  :unsure:

I'm with you crimsoc and Safferz! Working on my comps, marking papers, waiting for results of 3 other scholarships that I applied for that will be released before SSHRC. The little bird told me that SSHRC would notify the departments on April 1st, but I don't have a way to confirm it.

Edit: CGS-M results will be released on April 1st via the Research Portal, and since we all applied for Doctoral Awards the old fashioned way (i.e. through our universities), we may hear later in April.

Edited by Konstantin

April 1st would have been a glorious time to find out. Seems like every time I apply for a scholarship, I am in the last group to be informed! 

New system for CGS-M, same old for CGS-D...too bad.

I think about SSHRC every day.  I'm trying to decide between two schools for my PhD, and whether I not I win the award will alter the balance of the two funding packages.  School A has a better basic funding package, so much so that even winning CGS would be a downgrade without some kind of a top-up.  Unfortunately the school's policy for supplementing external awards in unclear and it seems like they can only guarantee that they will make up the difference between the award and their original funding offer. School B, on the other hand, has a great guaranteed top-up policy.  Holding an external award at School B would make a big difference in terms of quality of life.

But I guess it's better to base my decision on guaranteed money rather than hypothetical money.

Hi Macavity,

I am in the same boat. Deciding between programs: school A has a much better basic package, and provides a very small "top up" if one wins a SSHRC...school B, on the other hand, offers far less but does not 'claw back' any funding, allowing students to keep their entire funding package in addition to a SSHRC.

I do agree, it is tough to make a decision based on hypothetical money - especially when is such a toss up. Either way, it would be nice to at least know before I have to make the decision, but that will not happen. Good luck!

Edited by bentharbour

My connections have informed me that the SSHRC doctoral applications are being adjudicated now and over the coming weeks and then the rest of the time between adjudication and when we receive the results is purely administrative. 

Not that this makes the wait any shorter! I just find every scrap of information that trickles down to me or is shared with me is worth knowing...whether it helps me cope with the waiting anxiety or not is another story altogether.

My connections have informed me that the SSHRC doctoral applications are being adjudicated now and over the coming weeks and then the rest of the time between adjudication and when we receive the results is purely administrative. 

Not that this makes the wait any shorter! I just find every scrap of information that trickles down to me or is shared with me is worth knowing...whether it helps me cope with the waiting anxiety or not is another story altogether.

Interesting, thanks for letting us know. That's sooner than I thought.

In some non-SSHRC related news: I found out this week that I was turned down for the Trudeau scholarship. It was always going to be a long shot, so I'm not particularly disappointed over it. But, it has managed to dash my confidence completely for the SSHRC!

It's going to be a looong wait till April! 

In some non-SSHRC related news: I found out this week that I was turned down for the Trudeau scholarship. It was always going to be a long shot, so I'm not particularly disappointed over it. But, it has managed to dash my confidence completely for the SSHRC!

Oh peas! Sorry to hear that :(

*sending some confidence* your way (also sending it everyone's way, cause heck, who among us doesn't need it?)

Hey, sorry about the disappointing news! The Trudeau Scholarship is far more competitive than SSHRC, so that's not any indication of your future SSHRC outcome. I wish it were possible that we all got SSHRCs!!

Edited by Konstantin

Oh Carthage32, I am so sorry to hear that. I am still waiting and I hate every moment (makes me wonder why I applied for such a long shot). Can I ask how did they correspond with you? Was it by email or letter or did they send it directly to the university? I just want to get it done with.

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words! All the best to you guys too! :)

Mistralesque, they sent a letter directly to my address. If you haven't heard anything yet, it might be good news for you, as their website says that finalists will notified around mid-March. So, you may be hearing from them then. Good luck!

It's possible, since MA applicants will be notified April 1st, and MA SSHRCs are usually notified later than Doctoral SSHRCs. Following this tradition, it would be logical to think that we'd receive our letters this month. But, MA SSHRCs are notified using the Research Portal, whereas we'll be receiving our letters via regular mail. And as you said crimsoc, the adjudication process is much different for MA vs Ph.D. applications.

Realistically, I don't think that we will hear back before April, at least according to my university. It would be a welcomed miracle if this happened!

I doubt we will hear before April. I know someone on the adjudication committee and they just met this week. I would think that if decisions were made by Friday, there are a few weeks of paperwork that must be completed before they can notify us.

I doubt we will hear before April. I know someone on the adjudication committee and they just met this week. I would think that if decisions were made by Friday, there are a few weeks of paperwork that must be completed before they can notify us.

Do they only meet once?

I also very much doubt that we hear before April, and before late April at that. I think we should question whether we hear back before May rather than April.

I'm going to keep my hopes out for 2nd week in April. Who wants to make a bet?

April 28-May 2 is my bet! Is this for when they say they release the letters, the postmark on the letters, or when we the first person receives a letter?

I would go by their Twitter feed and/or postmark! Ottawa peeps should receive them first :)

Edited by Konstantin

They met for the entire week in Ottawa last week (not sure on the exact LOCATION, but I do know that the professor I know on the committee was there for the whole week adjudicating).

I should add, however, that I do not know if she is on the committee for the MA applications or PhD application (or Post Doc).

Edited by Mamahope