What MSW school(s) are you applying to?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, and I am glad to see other people wanting to also pursue an MSW. I thought it would be an interesting conversation to get to know some people by seeing where you are all applying to, and what concentration you're interested in.

I'm applying for Fall 2014 for Cal State Northridge and Cal State L.A.

I'm also applying for the advanced standing program for OSU (which would start summer 2014).

I'm interested in studying mental health in children, adolescents, and family. I am also possibly interested in substance abuse.

What about you all?

At first I planned on applying to about 5 or 6 schools, but I applied to U of M (first choice) and Wayne State (second choice) early. I found out I got into Wayne State very quickly, so I didn't bother applying to other schools. Im interested in health policy, and micro practice in health. 

At first I planned on applying to about 5 or 6 schools, but I applied to U of M (first choice) and Wayne State (second choice) early. I found out I got into Wayne State very quickly, so I didn't bother applying to other schools. Im interested in health policy, and micro practice in health. 

U of M is a really good social work school. I think I got something in the mail from them about a visit day. That would be awesome if you got to go to U of M. Congrats on getting accepted at Wayne State! 

U of M is a really good social work school. I think I got something in the mail from them about a visit day. That would be awesome if you got to go to U of M. Congrats on getting accepted at Wayne State! 

Thanks! I applied the week their application opened, so the wait has been killing me. They said I wouldn't find out until probably Jan. or Feb. 

University of Kentucky

University of Pitt

OSU

and OU 

I am just working on UK and UoP right now they will be submitted soon then working on OU and OSU 

and I want to focus on clinical SW with a special in developmental disabilities possibly. 

Edited by Pinkster12

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I applied to DU, UM, CWRU,  and UPenn. Got into all of them.

Then I chose a PsyD program. That was a mistake.

This year I'm looking at Smith, Simmons, BU, BC, NYU, Fordham, UPenn, and Tulane. Maybe Rutgers and Temple. Even though I had good luck last year, I have absolutely no confidence in my competitiveness!!

This year I'm looking at Smith, Simmons, BU, BC, NYU, Fordham, UPenn, and Tulane. Maybe Rutgers and Temple. Even though I had good luck last year, I have absolutely no confidence in my competitiveness!!

RubySohoPDX,

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to leave a PsyD program and apply for a MSW program?  I'm looking at both options for grad school and any insight you could share would be great.

Thanks!

Thanks! I applied the week their application opened, so the wait has been killing me. They said I wouldn't find out until probably Jan. or Feb. 

I know the feeling. When I do actually get my applications in, I won't find out about them until about May...that's too much for me, haha!

University of Kentucky

University of Pitt

OSU

and OU 

I am just working on UK and UoP right now they will be submitted soon then working on OU and OSU 

and I want to focus on clinical SW with a special in developmental disabilities possibly. 

If we both go to OSU, maybe we will be classmates :) I go to OU now as undergrad,and I know a bit about their grad program. Let me know if you have questions! OU is focused on rural communities. 

Why don't you have confidence? Are the schools you are applying to now more challenging? 

RubySohoPDX,

If you don't mind me asking, why have you decided to leave a PsyD program and apply for a MSW program?  I'm looking at both options for grad school and any insight you could share would be great.

Thanks!

There are multiple reasons. I was second guessing my choice going into the program, then the more the semester has progressed I realized that it's not for me for many reasons. First, there's a large disconnect between theory and practice. I was warned of this beforehand, but didn't think much of it, but now I see it. It's hard to explain, but others in my program feel the same way.  We're not being taught by clinicians which is a more common occurrence in master's programs and I'd rather be taught clinical skills by a clinician than an academic.

Another element of that is, the program has no focus on diversity (we get one class and that's it) or social justice, and with my undergrad background that's a very large piece for me that I wasn't expecting to miss but I do.

Also, it's a bit disheartening to think about the amount of debt, when one of my basic counseling texts (written by the dean of my program) states in black and white that LCSWs have the same privileges as PsyDs.  Then my professor told me that there are currently LCSWs doing neuropsych assessments. I wanted to quit right when I heard that.

I did some serious math, and I would need to work 10 years to start seeing a small ROI from my PsyD program.  

So those are some general thoughts, and some program specifics are that my program is too big. The professors have no time for the students, I've been turned down by 3 different professors when I asked them about research opportunities. And along those lines, the program is much more research heavy than I anticipated. So, it's really frustrating when the program is telling me to do research but those that  share an interest with won't work with me. Every single professor has told our class to not expect responses to e-mailed because they're too busy. It may just be me, but I'm paying 30k a year, I expect an e-mail response and time from professors.

Those are the key things coming to mind right now. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.

I know the feeling. When I do actually get my applications in, I won't find out about them until about May...that's too much for me, haha!

If we both go to OSU, maybe we will be classmates :) I go to OU now as undergrad,and I know a bit about their grad program. Let me know if you have questions! OU is focused on rural communities. 

Why don't you have confidence? Are the schools you are applying to now more challenging? 

I don't think so, but applicant pools change greatly from year to year, so what is competitive one year might not be the next year. Also, I think it's fair to assume a certain level of anxiety anytime an application is turned in because rejection is always a possibility.