Masters applications for 2014 chit chat

Café com Leite

Hey Cafe Com Leite! I just recently applied to Duke Divinity School for their early admission deadline. I was told I should know in about six weeks whether or not I got accepted. I am glad you started this thread, I was just about to create it :). Anyone else applying for Duke for the Fall 2014 school year? I would love to hear from more folks.

Great Cito! I hope it goes well for you! I panicked a little because I didn't know Duke had an early deadline, but when I looked it up it doesn't apply to the MTS, so I guess I didn't miss it! I'm wrapping up my app for Duke and hope to have the rest in within a few weeks. Then its just waiting...

I'll be applying to:

Vanderbilt

Union

Yale

Iliff

Claremont

All of my applications will be for the MDiv program.

I'm interested in a fairly wide range of things, though most notably Christian existentialism, death and dying, mental illness (suicide really) and its intersection with theology, and ethics (still too broad of an interest to further refine at this point).

I've submitted my Mdiv Duke app, and will also be applying to Vanderbilt, Yale, Princeton, and SMU. 

Duke said on the campus visit it would be about 6 weeks (which will feel like years). Anyone heard if they're quicker? 

I think Union may win an award for the least useful prompt this year.

Describe five (5) top qualities that you believe make a good leader. As you consider these qualities, where are you on the list? How do you hope Union Theological Seminary education will help you to become a better leader in today’s world?

Now, I recognize that this prompt does tell them some things about me, particularly how I conceptualize myself, how I am able to recognize my weaknesses, and a preliminary plan of action to work on them, while bolstering strengths, while at Union.

I also recognize that a distaste for prompts is subjective, though I felt like venting. Also, I get the feeling that a lot of applicants are going to play it super-safe and this portion of the essay is going to look largely uniform across a large percentage of applicants.

Edited by xypathos

Xypathos,

I applied and was admitted to three of the schools (Claremont, Union, YDS) on your list and am familiar with that annoying prompt! I am currently at Union. Feel free to PM me with questions, etc.

best!

If anyone is applying to HDS and has any questions or anything of the like, do not hesitate to PM me!

I also applied to UVA, NYU, Temple, Yale, and Duke, so if you guys have further questions about that, do let me know (I can at least navigate through the application process with you guys, haha).

I've submitted my Mdiv Duke app, and will also be applying to Vanderbilt, Yale, Princeton, and SMU. 

Duke said on the campus visit it would be about 6 weeks (which will feel like years). Anyone heard if they're quicker? 

I heard the same thing when I went for a visit Lumpee.

I've finished up most of my apps and putting the final touches on two this week to close it out. A couple will let me know in a few weeks, but for most, I think its just a waiting game... I don't know how many times I re-checked my apps before hitting that submit button...

Hi! I am applying to the MDiv progams at Duke, Yale, and Princeton. I am trying to get an idea of how competitive I will be in admissions and funding. I graduate in December from a large urban university (over 30,000 students) with a degree in Political Science and minor in Religious Studies. I will finish with a 3.98 GPA and I have studied Ancient Greek for 2 years (one in high school one in college). I have already begun the candidacy process in the ELCA Lutheran Church. I am also the founder and president of a campus ministry and involved in a number of other EC's. Assuming my recommendations and essays are solid, do I stand a good chance to be admitted? Will I compete for some of the full tuition scholarships? I am just trying to get an idea. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hello! I'm applying to MA programs in Theology (or similar programs) at Duke, University of Chicago, Vanderbilt, Yale, Claremont, Princeton, and Drew for Fall 2014 admission. My bachelor's degree was in Political Science with a minor in Religion.

For what it's worth, I have been told that Duke's MA in Religion is offering several full scholarships from here forward (before those admitted all got half tuition). The program has traditionally only accepted half a dozen or so students a year, so this will likely make it much more competitive. The program basically allows you to craft your own 2 year degree, and unlike most MTS degrees you only have to take one required class and the rest is up to you (can take classes in other departments easily, too). Anyways, figured I would let you all know since I don't think the website says anything yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it wishful thinking to expect to hear from Duke(or any school for that matter) the first week of December when they have stated one would know by the 15th? Just curious ^_^

Edited by Cito

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep people updated, I heard back from Emory that I was accepted to their program, now just waiting to hear about scholarships in the spring from them and acceptance info from the rest as well...Did anybody who applied to Duke's early MDiv deadline hear back?

Just to keep people updated, I heard back from Emory that I was accepted to their program, now just waiting to hear about scholarships in the spring from them and acceptance info from the rest as well...Did anybody who applied to Duke's early MDiv deadline hear back?

I haven't heard back from Duke yet Cafe, still waiting!