International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

I didn't apply to IHEID but I can speak of life in Geneva, for young professionals it is such a great place to be. My friend's sister is a lawyer there and she lives with four other young professionals and that's how so much of the city is. I went to the Center for Humanitarian Dialogue to meet with the director with some students from my university and there are just lots of opportunities through those sorts of connections. Plus I mean it's Geneva, you will pay an arm and a leg for everything, but it is beautiful and ridiculously international. Speaking French isn't even necessary, everyone there speaks English, but they appreciate when you try and the Swiss are so kind to foreigners when they are learning French. I had a lady actually get out a piece of paper and write things down for me and tell me without me asking and I was in a government building, as much as I love the French, that would never have happened in Paris haha. 

I feel like as long as one is realistic in their post graduation goal, has a coherent career plan and is prepared to pay their dues then that person will be just fine. But most students who think it's all glamorous traveling on various conferences and cushy Geneva job will be disappointed... unless they know someone who knows someone LOL

This is so true! Apart from that, many jobs in development tend to be contract-based and budget-constrained. I once volunteered in a small NGO office during my undergraduate degree. One of the few paid employees over there told me that she had actually volunteered for a few years before she could finally get paid for her work. And even then her contracts would be for just 6 -12 months and sometimes they would not get extended due to lack of funds. I reckon things could be different in bigger organisations...

Thanks mickun! I watched the whole thing... why is there not a 'forward' button on these videos! The second part was indeed interesting with that alumni talking about employment opportunities post graduation. But then I thought what else can he say but great things about the school while he is sitting next to the Admissions Director? I'd like to hear a more balanced view.

I've heard criticism about every school LSE, Sciences Po, SOAS etc and I have yet to hear one bad thing about IHEID...

Alchyna

How come you have forgotten the constant complaint that we have had over the last few months. 

Their early admission round !!!!!! 

Alchyna

How come you have forgotten the constant complaint that we have had over the last few months. 

Their early admission round !!!!!!

Yes you are right but no decision in the early admission round is applicants criticism, I was thinking more in terms of criticism from current students/alumni who have gone to the school.

Is anyone else feeling less and less confident about their chances for IHEID the closer we get to D-Day?? When I was submitting my application for the first round I felt great about my application but since I was put on the waiting list I'm feeling like I have less of a chance - if they didn't see me as being good enough in the first round, what would make them think I was good enough in the second round?

Sorry for the whine, I just wanted to vent to people who might be in a similar situation haha.

Also I realized, even though they say that we'll find out the results March 1-15, since March 1-2 are the weekend we probably won't hear back until March 3rd at the earliest. More days of anxious waiting!

Is anyone else feeling less and less confident about their chances for IHEID the closer we get to D-Day?? When I was submitting my application for the first round I felt great about my application but since I was put on the waiting list I'm feeling like I have less of a chance - if they didn't see me as being good enough in the first round, what would make them think I was good enough in the second round?

Sorry for the whine, I just wanted to vent to people who might be in a similar situation haha.

Also I realized, even though they say that we'll find out the results March 1-15, since March 1-2 are the weekend we probably won't hear back until March 3rd at the earliest. More days of anxious waiting!

Yes we will most likely start getting decisions in waves probably from March 3rd.

I totally know what you are talking about becauseI feel the same way! I have never felt super confident about my chances of admission at IHEID but now that I have a few admissions under my belt I feel more at ease. It's my first choice so I'm trying to stay positive.

In the meantime, let's hope we are all getting in and read the IHEID Student Association student guide if you haven't already. It contains so much useful information: http://mygisa.ch/guide/

Yes we will most likely start getting decisions in waves probably from March 3rd.

I totally know what you are talking about becauseI feel the same way! I have never felt super confident about my chances of admission at IHEID but now that I have a few admissions under my belt I feel more at ease. It's my first choice so I'm trying to stay positive.

In the meantime, let's hope we are all getting in and read the IHEID Student Association student guide if you haven't already. It contains so much useful information: http://mygisa.ch/guide/

You're right, that's definitely the best attitude to have in this situation - we did what we could so let's just hope for the best! And thanks so much for that link, all that useful information is making me even more excited about the prospect of attending the school lol.

I've been following this thread with lots of interest because I am also keen on a career in international development mainly econ dev. Even though I am not targetting the same programs (I am looking at grad programs in economics/agricultural economics), I am also torn between US and European schools. Being European myself, I thought European schools would be a better fit (as most of the people here have articulated, they are cheaper and besides, I would not be restricted to on-campus jobs as I would be should I choose to attend an American school). However, I need a program that will make me more employable internationally and somehow I am yet to find persuasive evidence that the European schools in my field can achieve that. On the other hand, the US schools I applied to seem to really know what they are doing - most of the faculty in the US I researched also work as consultants with big names such as World Bank, UNDP, FAO, IFPRI and I reckon it will be easier to use the network in order to find meaningful employment down the line. I personally have applied to both US and European programs and I am going through a major dilemma.

I know someone, a former classmate who did her masters in development at the LSE and a couple of years down the line she is, to my knowledge, still volunteering in a developing country trying to set her foot in the door, so to say. Last time I talked to her, she seemed disappointed with the post-LSE prospects. By no means I am looking to discourage people here but I thought I would give my 2 cents in the US-European school debate. I find it very interesting and whatever I have written above can be, I am sure, argued pro and against.

It really depends on the school. IDS at Sussex I would say knows what they are doing in terms of the field of development. All of the Research Fellows there are consultants first and lecturers second. I found there to be a really good network there. Much better than LSE etc. 

In the end, my opinion is that education is education. You need to have an area of expertise to be able to contribute on something - beyond just international development which I have come to realize means everything under the sun. Working overseas I think is also the best way to focus and gain skills that are as important as you will learn in your education. In terms of getting your foot in the door, I have a lot of conversations with a lot of people about a lot of different things…smooz-ing is the best term I believe.

Ah you must be really happy that you have quite a few options though and oooo tense then waiting for IHEID to respond :o

Thanks for the good luck, you too- I'm also hoping to get MPhil/DPhil funding so exciting times :).

I am also waiting for IHEID to respond to my PhD application. It is likely my first choice. I want to mention to everyone that they are making this decision on Wednesday and I should hear back on Thursday. Fingers crossed!!!

All in all I did my education in Canada and the UK…I want to stay in Europe for personal reasons. Where you get your degree matters a lot less than how you use your knowledge. Unless of course you are going into academia, well than the reputation matters.

I want to ask all of your opinion.

If you had to choose between two fully funded PhD programs: one at a high ranking department but with not as good coordination or lab research or the other with a superstar supervisor and awesome lab but the department is no ranked which would you choose?

good luck superstars! 

Hi guys! My name is Ana and I'm Panamanian. I've noticed that many of you have admitted into many programs! Congratulations everyone!! I applied for the MA International Development at Science Po, Columbia, IHED and university of manchester.

I already got an offer from manchester but my top choice is Science Po (I submitted my application on February 11). Could someone tell me how long did it took you to get you offer at Science Po? Thanks!!!

Hi guys! My name is Ana and I'm Panamanian. I've noticed that many of you have admitted into many programs! Congratulations everyone!! I applied for the MA International Development at Science Po, Columbia, IHED and university of manchester.

I already got an offer from manchester but my top choice is Science Po (I submitted my application on February 11). Could someone tell me how long did it took you to get you offer at Science Po? Thanks!!!

Hi Ana!

I had submitted my application at ScPo on 14th November and got my acceptance for the same course on 17th Dec. So roughly it takes around a month. Though I think your application might take a bit longer given you submitted it in Feb. Generally these guys mention how applications received during Feb to April will receive their results late. In any case, goodluck :)

Hello everybody,

good to find a threat describing everything I went through as well in the last 3 months. 

I applied for Master degrees in International Development (and their variations at each university) at LSE, SOAS, UCL and Sciences Po. 

Fortunately I was accepted at all of them. I have decided to attend Sciences Po as I think the programme is most attractive an well rounded there.

Plus the prospect of reaching fluency in French is an opportunity I cannot miss out on.

To reply to your question Ana: I waited around 45 days until I received the offer. Let's see how long it will take you to get an answer. 

They will let you know if your application is admissible or not around two to three weeks after your application was completed. 

For everyone who was accepted and is planning to attend Sciences Po check out the groups that I have created on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1447914832109226/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/583655801731402/

I hope the groups will allow us to get to know each other a little bit before meeting in September! 

Great seeing all the commitment and helping hands reaching out in this thread!!! :)

Edited by DJacobs

Hello everybody,

good to find a threat describing everything I went through as well in the last 3 months. 

I applied for Master degrees in International Development (and their variations at each university) at LSE, SOAS, UCL and Sciences Po. 

Fortunately I was accepted at all of them. I have decided to attend Sciences Po as I think the programme is most attractive an well rounded there.

Plus the prospect of reaching fluency in French is an opportunity I cannot miss out on.

To reply to your question Ana: I waited around 45 days until I received the offer. Let's see how long it will take you to get an answer. 

They will let you know if your application is admissible or not around two to three weeks after your application was completed. 

For everyone who was accepted and is planning to attend Sciences Po check out the groups that I have created on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1447914832109226/https://www.facebook.com/groups/583655801731402/

I hope the groups will allow us to get to know each other a little bit before meeting in September! 

Great seeing all the commitment and helping hands reaching out in this thread!!! :)

Oh great! At least someone created a group. I have added myself and I think you should post it on other forums too. Btw the link to your second group isn't working. Pls check that out. Also welcome to the thread :)

I submitted my application for sciences po on 9 Jan, received the admissible mail on 12 Feb. In the admissible mail they said they would notify me in early march. So I still have to wait for one more week for the final decision.

good luck Mic. I am sure you will be admitted pretty soon. :)

Oh great! At least someone created a group. I have added myself and I think you should post it on other forums too. Btw the link to your second group isn't working. Pls check that out. Also welcome to the thread :)

here is the (hopefully) working link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/583655801731402/

I don't know any other forums but will try to find some. If you know any please fell free to post the links there too :)

Edited by DJacobs

here is the (hopefully) working link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/583655801731402/

I don't know any other forums but will try to find some. If you know any please fell free to post the links there too :)

Yes this link works! Also I already did post it one other forum plus the sciences Po page and ScPo PSIA page on FB!

Hi mickun88,

I submitted my application on 21 Jan but still waited for 2 academic references. The last reference was submitted on 26 Jan, and I received the admissible e-mail on 11 Feb. However, that admissible e-mail just said "You will be informed of the decision taken as soon as possible", so I didn't know their timeline...

Since we received the admissible e-mail at almost the same time, also I have to wait one more week for the final decision :(

good luck Mic. I am sure you will be admitted pretty soon. :)

Thanks. I believe that we are going to meet up in Geneva instead of Paris

Hi mickun88,

I submitted my application on 21 Jan but still waited for 2 academic references. The last reference was submitted on 26 Jan, and I received the admissible e-mail on 11 Feb. However, that admissible e-mail just said "You will be informed of the decision taken as soon as possible", so I didn't know their timeline...

Since we received the admissible e-mail at almost the same time, also I have to wait one more week for the final decision :(

Technically, it is not the official admissible mail that told me about the notification date. I sent them an email asking the updates of my application and they told me results would be out in early March. 

Best of Luck !!!

Hey don't forget about me! i want to meet you guys in Geneva too... or Paris I'm cool with that too :-)

We're supposed to do that picnic by the lake :)  but it could just as well be by the Eiffel tower ha ha

Technically, it is not the official admissible mail that told me about the notification date. I sent them an email asking the updates of my application and they told me results would be out in early March. 

Best of Luck !!!

Hey don't forget about me! i want to meet you guys in Geneva too... or Paris I'm cool with that too :-)

We're supposed to do that picnic by the lake :)  but it could just as well be by the Eiffel tower ha ha

Yes yes! Geneva it will be. Ofcourse we havent forgotten about you Alchyna. :)

Also Paris sounds good too. Cuz well, we are flexible like that! :D 

WHEN IS IHEID RESULTS COMING? I AM BEYOND ANXIOUS AND THE WAIT IS SLOWLY AGEING ME. :( 

So glad that many people are still here. I was so busy for writing my bachelor thesis and desperately applying for other universities in the past two months.

Angie, I remember that you mentioned that most people received their rejections in the last week of February, so I guess maybe they'll begin to send decisions from today. (Today is Wednesday. We got our postponed decisions on Wednesday.) On one hand, I hope I can hear back from IHEID as quickly as possible. On the other hand, I really don't  want to be the first ones receiving that email. The waiting time is killing me. If I get rejection in the end, I'll spend next two years in England and Germany. 

So glad that many people are still here. I was so busy for writing my bachelor thesis and desperately applying for other universities in the past two months.

Angie, I remember that you mentioned that most people received their rejections in the last week of February, so I guess maybe they'll begin to send decisions from today. (Today is Wednesday. We got our postponed decisions on Wednesday.) On one hand, I hope I can hear back from IHEID as quickly as possible. On the other hand, I really don't  want to be the first ones receiving that email. The waiting time is killing me. If I get rejection in the end, I'll spend next two years in England and Germany. 

I feel exactly the same way. I simultaneously want to receive my IHEID result as soon as possible, but I don't want to receive it early if it means I've been rejected. I'm just trying to maintain my sanity while waiting.

Angie, I remember that you mentioned that most people received their rejections in the last week of February, so I guess maybe they'll begin to send decisions from today. (Today is Wednesday. We got our postponed decisions on Wednesday.) On one hand, I hope I can hear back from IHEID as quickly as possible. On the other hand, I really don't want to be the first ones receiving that email. The waiting time is killing me. If I get rejection in the end, I'll spend next two years in England and Germany.

I feel exactly the same way. I simultaneously want to receive my IHEID result as soon as possible, but I don't want to receive it early if it means I've been rejected. I'm just trying to maintain my sanity while waiting.

I get what you guys mean. IHEID is the only school which has still given me its answer. Given that its my top choice, I cant even concentrate on other schools or their funding and stuff. All I do is keep checking my emails frantically and losing my head. I have been beyond unproductive. Boy I just hope IHEID gives out its acceptances soon. So that i can kick start my stagnant life. The wait is taking its toll on me.

Edited by k_angie