Business Cards?

digits2006

Mine says Statistical Analyst, because that's my job. Other students have business cards with their GRA position on them (in Academic Affairs, Computer Services, & etc.). I've also seen some that just say Graduate Research Assistant to XYZ Office.

I'm planning to get business cards printed once I reach candidacy (because then the info on the card will probably not change until I graduate). I am going to probably use this service: http://www.911printers.com/store/product-view.html/31 which will do them quite cheaply and you can design the entire card yourself. I think an order of something like 200 double-sided colour cards will cost less than $30?

The requirements to reach Candidacy varies for each program, but no one is probably going to check! In my program, you apply for candidacy and are accepted if you demonstrate that you finished your coursework and have a solid research plan in place to finish your thesis/degree. In other programs, you need to pass an exam to get candidacy. In academia, I think the general understanding of what a "candidate" means is someone who has completed the majority of their degree requirements, and is now mostly completing their research and dissertation. My "business" card will be used in academia, so I will put something like 

Name

PhD Candidate

Department, School

But if I will be planning to use my business cards for things outside of academia, I would probably list my title/job as something more descriptive of my useful skills and experiences.

But if I will be planning to use my business cards for things outside of academia, I would probably list my title/job as something more descriptive of my useful skills and experiences.

This is a good point--I only gave my cards to academics.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I may get some business cards. I most likely wont go into academia after I graduate, so I want to network for future jobs and business cards will help.

Glad we were helpful :) But I just want to point out that networking is important both inside and outside academia, so business cards could be helpful for all graduate students that are interested in having them!