Boren 2014-2015

ChicChic325

Thank you! That would be great. Congrats on receiving the budget e-mail. I wish you good luck! China is beautiful, I used to live in the southeast, and really look forward to going back. 加油加油!

Chinagurl94, honestly, I determined what the budget email meant based on the comments on here. I had no clue that hinted at anything. I just shrugged my shoulders and filled out the info, thinking that they probably wanted an update to make sure costs weren't changing too much...but I suppose in a way it makes sense. That aside, thank you! I have never been to mainland China, just Taiwan so I am very excited for a possible opportunity to go! 加油!

For what it's worth, I sent a quick e-mail to IIE asking for clarification on if I should expect to not receive the award if I did not also receive the more specific budget email. I got this reply:

"If you didn't get the longer e-mail and we didn't ask for something more specific it’s because you read the directions and filled out your budget correctly. Most of the emails I have sent out are because people don’t."

So... not sure what to think anymore. 

For what it's worth, I sent a quick e-mail to IIE asking for clarification on if I should expect to not receive the award if I did not also receive the more specific budget email. I got this reply:

"If you didn't get the longer e-mail and we didn't ask for something more specific it’s because you read the directions and filled out your budget correctly. Most of the emails I have sent out are because people don’t."

So... not sure what to think anymore. 

That sounds like it means that many of you are still in the running. That's good news!

I'm applying for the fellowship, so I received that "all fellowship applicants are receiving this email" a few weeks ago.  Nothing really changed in my budget but I could be more flexible with my dates.  So I sent an email expressing that I could extend my overseas dates.  The following week, I received an email specifically asking me about my end date - stating that my original date (the on proposed in my application) wouldn't allow for me to leave the country while on the Boren but if I extending to the end of that month, there would be no problems.  When I sent an update to the original email, I stated that I could extend to the end of the month...so I expressed that again in response to that personal email.  Here's to hoping good things are on the horizon.

I'm applying for the fellowship, so I received that "all fellowship applicants are receiving this email" a few weeks ago.  Nothing really changed in my budget but I could be more flexible with my dates.  So I sent an email expressing that I could extend my overseas dates.  The following week, I received an email specifically asking me about my end date - stating that my original date (the on proposed in my application) wouldn't allow for me to leave the country while on the Boren but if I extending to the end of that month, there would be no problems.  When I sent an update to the original email, I stated that I could extend to the end of the month...so I expressed that again in response to that personal email.  Here's to hoping good things are on the horizon.

Excuse the typos...long day of reading on the computer!  :blink:

HI all,

I've just found this thread and the previous years as well. I'm applying for a scholarship to study in Russia as well. I've been in contact with my program and nothing has changed because of the Crimea situation (hopefully it stays that way!). I've also received the budget e-mail, although I'm not sure if it is of any significance. Looking forward to finding out in a month or so, good luck to everyone!

Chinagurl94, Ah! Taiwan is great! It was a new test in life for me to survive the combination of humidity and heat though! O_O!

I went for two months in the summer of 2013 with the Taiwan United States Sister Relations Ambassador Program (TUSA). Ugh that title is so long, LOL. Anyway, it was a great experience and I love how lively the people are. Always something to do! It was great! Of course, everyone was curious about me 50 million notches higher than everyone else because I am black. LOL I had so many opportunities to practice my Chinese because of that, that's for sure! So many excursions built into the program. It was excellent!

I received the first email to everyone, then received this same second email asking about my end date and if I'd consider extending (I did not send an email back to the first one).  

I received the first email to everyone, then received this same second email asking about my end date and if I'd consider extending (I did not send an email back to the first one).  

Good luck to you MSC2014!

Hello everyone!

My friend from my school, who received the scholarship two years ago, informed me that there were some awardees at the convocation who did not receive a budget update e-mail. So there is still hope for us all :)

Also, I contacted Boren inquiring about the budget update e-mails, and received this response: "Thank you for contacting the Institute of International Education (IIE) with your questions about the Boren Awards.  All applications are still being considered. Award announcements will be made at the end of April."

Chinagurl94, Ah! Taiwan is great! It was a new test in life for me to survive the combination of humidity and heat though! O_O!

I went for two months in the summer of 2013 with the Taiwan United States Sister Relations Ambassador Program (TUSA). Ugh that title is so long, LOL. Anyway, it was a great experience and I love how lively the people are. Always something to do! It was great! Of course, everyone was curious about me 50 million notches higher than everyone else because I am black. LOL I had so many opportunities to practice my Chinese because of that, that's for sure! So many excursions built into the program. It was excellent!

Haha, awe that is hysterical! What interested you in pursuing studies of Mandarin?

Also, I just received word that the American university's exchange program I applied to go through, accepted me! They recommended me to Fudan University, and I must now wait for their approval as well! It feels good getting along in the process.

In the past, the budget e-mails have always been a good indicator of whether or not you were still being considered, however, this year I'm not so sure that it's the same. A few of my friends and I ALL received the e-mails. That just seems suspicious. I guess we'll just have to continue patiently waiting instead of speculating. :(

In the past, the budget e-mails have always been a good indicator of whether or not you were still being considered, however, this year I'm not so sure that it's the same. A few of my friends and I ALL received the e-mails. That just seems suspicious. I guess we'll just have to continue patiently waiting instead of speculating. :(

Yes, they definitely are solid indicators of receiving the award! The others, like myself, in this forum are just hoping we're still in the game! Haha.  I also agree with you 100% though. We just gotta let it rock.

Hi Memba. The Boren website states (somewhere) that the domestic portion is more or less reserved for those in the STEM field. I definitely remember reading that a few times. However I can't recall if it depended on before or after in country study. Bummer I know.

Hi Lissybeau, I read that as well but thought I would give it a shot all the same. They offered to let me do the domestic portion during the summer, but my schedule did not allow for it...

For anyone curious, I've copy and pasted below the exact language of the email I received on March 18. I think this is the "budget email" some are referring to.

After receiving this email, does anyone have a clue what your chances are of being awarded, being selected as alternate, or getting nothing? I'd love to have a better picture of what type of back up-planning I ought to do.

Dear __________:

Thank you for submitting your National Security Education Program David L. Boren Scholarship application. Your application is being considered and final award decisions will be announced at the end of April 2014. If your study abroad program has an earlier deposit deadline, you may want to let them know that you are awaiting a decision from the Boren Scholarship.

If you are awarded a Boren Scholarship, you will be required to attend the Orientation and Convocation Ceremony in Washington, DC on June 9th and 10th. If you are awarded, certain materials will need to be submitted before your first award disbursement would be issued.  In addition, you would need to purchase your airline tickets before receiving your first disbursement. Funding would then be distributed over the duration of the program and not in a single installment. Please plan accordingly.

As your application is being considered, we request that you provide IIE with additional information about your study abroad dates, program costs, and financial aid status.  The Boren Scholarship online system (https://nsep.iieweb.net/nsep/nseplogin.asp) allows you to submit the requested information electronically.  Applicants should use their original user name and password to log onto the system.  Please be sure to hit the “UPDATE” button in order to save the requested information online.

AFLI applicants with an official domestic program should NOT include the costs or dates for the summer domestic component in this update.  Swahili applicants who are applying for the official AFLI spring internship should include those costs and dates in this update.

** PLEASE PROVIDE IIE WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION USING THE ONLINE SYSTEM BY5:00PM EDT MONDAY, MARCH 24, 2014! **

A.      Cost of attendance at home institution – Please state your total cost to attend your current U.S.institution for one academic year.  Include tuition, room and board, books, etc. as appropriate. Do not subtract financial aid or scholarships/grants.

B.      Updated Financial Aid Information – If you receive financial aid, identify the total amount of financial aid that you receive for an academic year.  Include scholarships, grants, AND loans.

C.      Study Abroad Dates and Cost –The table lists your study abroad dates and costs as stated in your application.  You must contact your study abroad program to determine if anything has changed.  If so, enter the new dates or amounts in the space provided.  The program costs MUST be broken down into the following categories: 

• Cost of tuition and fees – If your home institution requires you to pay its tuition rather than the study abroad program costs, please include your home institution tuition costs in this field.
  • Cost of room and board – This is housing and food. This should include costs incurred during program breaks if you are to remain in your host country.
  • Cost of round-trip international airfare – Please remember that you must travel on a U.S. Airline as far as possible.
  • Cost of books, insurance and local transportation.

Please be as accurate as possible in estimating these costs, keeping in mind that Boren does not select recipients based on their budgets.  If there is no change to the information listed, you will need to reenter the same dates/figures on the second column. If you budget was not previously broken down, please contact your study abroad provider to get the costs broken down into our categories.

D.      Study Abroad Financial Aid - If you receive financial aid, identify the amount of financial aid that at this time you are certain you will receive for your proposed study abroad.  Do not include loans or tentative scholarships/grants.

Do not hesitate to call our office at 1-800-618-NSEP or email boren@iie.org if you have any questions.  We look forward to receiving your updated information by 5:00PM EDT Monday, March 24

Boren Award Staff

Institute of International Education (IIE)

1400 K Street NW, Washington, DC 20005

Phone +1.800.618.NSEP | Fax +1.202.326.7672 | boren@iie.org

Just had a temporary bout of panic and then I read more carefully-- was this only sent out to Boren Scholar applicants? Fellowship applicants have only received one e-mail, right? Around early March?

The wait. Gah, the wait.

Just learned that I got a Summer FLAS.  This is great.  Hopefully, the Boren will come through and replace it.  One step forward... :)

I knew they'd be out soon...still waiting for news. Oh noes...should I be worried?

Just had a temporary bout of panic and then I read more carefully-- was this only sent out to Boren Scholar applicants? Fellowship applicants have only received one e-mail, right? Around early March?

The wait. Gah, the wait.

@Nurd- To my knowledge, no one on this forum has mentioned getting a second email of any kind from this year, unless it was to specifically verify a date or program detail (there was no mass email sent out a second time). I also applied for the fellowship, but the email I received didn't look anything like this, however it was a verification of dates and budget as it was in the scholarship email. 

I got another email from Boren today regarding the domestic program at UF.....

I did as well. Seemed to have been sent to everyone? I think they're trying very hard not to tip anyone off about selection. Ah well, only 1 more month of waiting.  

I did as well. Seemed to have been sent to everyone? I think they're trying very hard not to tip anyone off about selection. Ah well, only 1 more month of waiting.  

Mine was directed to the Summer AFLI program at UF.  I'm sure not everyone is doing that.  But congrats on that email.  =)  What language are you applying for?

Your email was specifically for the UF summer program, right? Or was it a general email?

I didn't get one - my proposed language program is not for an African language. Please clarify! 

Edited by LimaBeans