Boren 2014-2015

ChicChic325

Your email was specifically for the UF summer program, right? Or was it a general email?

I didn't get one - my proposed language program is not for an African language. Please clarify! 

LimaBeans,

My particular email was for the UF Summer AFLI program.  My proposal was for an African language.  Hope this helps.  I don't know about jroc.

LimaBeans,

My particular email was for the UF Summer AFLI program.  My proposal was for an African language.  Hope this helps.  I don't know about jroc.

Hmm, I didn't get one last week. I think I've gotten four total from UF, though? Two registration confirmations (when I registered) and two prompting me to set up a UF Gator account (March 19). Plus an email from the Boren people right after the deadline reminding me to register for it (feb 7).

Hmm, I didn't get one last week. I think I've gotten four total from UF, though? Two registration confirmations (when I registered) and two prompting me to set up a UF Gator account (March 19). Plus an email from the Boren people right after the deadline reminding me to register for it (feb 7).

I believe I got those too.  I didn't think about those as I'm a UF student.  I even got that one about setting up the UF Gator account and then not two minutes later telling me to ignore that since I already had a UFID.  :blink: I still think anything is possible and these emails certainly keep us guessing and hopeful and I'm sure relatively anxious.  The end is near...patience, right?  :)

Your email was specifically for the UF summer program, right? Or was it a general email?

I didn't get one - my proposed language program is not for an African language. Please clarify! 

Yes, sorry it was specifically for UF domestic African Languages Initiative program. Don't worry!

@aepafrica - You're right, I meant that it seemed to have been sent to all AFLI domestic applicants. I applied for Swahili, what about you?

Yes, sorry it was specifically for UF domestic African Languages Initiative program. Don't worry!

@aepafrica - You're right, I meant that it seemed to have been sent to all AFLI domestic applicants. I applied for Swahili, what about you?

jiroc, I applied for Zulu.

There seems to be a lot of African Language Initiative applicants on here. On March 28th I received the fabled "budget update email". Thank god I'd never heard about it before, or I'd have been a mess waiting. What confuses me about that email is that they really aren't asking for more specific information, they mostly want confirmation that nothing has changed. I asked another girl who I know applied from my university and she didn't receive the email-- is the email a good sign?

A few days after the deadline, I received another email from Boren asking for confirmation of my update (I'd listed a significant amount of financial aid). Does anyone know if asking for a smaller amount gives me any sort of advantage? 

Ughhhhhhhh so much stress waiting. Also-- I'm not an African Language Initiative applicant, I applied for a year in Turkey to learn Turkish.  

Edited by emb

@emb, i don't think asking for a smaller amount gives you any advantage, according to the website. My total was $20,100 and I did not get the budget email. I applied for a year in Morocco.

A few days after the deadline, I received another email from Boren asking for confirmation of my update (I'd listed a significant amount of financial aid). Does anyone know if asking for a smaller amount gives me any sort of advantage? 

A Boren rep came to my school and I asked her about that and she emphasized really strongly that the amount you ask for doesn't affect your chances.

emb, are you applying for the fellowship or the scholarship?

I'm a scholarship applicant. 

Ok, that's fine if cost doesn't impact it. I actually read over last years forum. Nobody got a budget email? That's so confusing. It seems that in years past the budget email has been crucial. 

I'm also not sure what languages they're looking for. Mandarin and Arabic seem to be the top choices every year, but I don't know if that is just due to the volume of applications for the two. 

Edited by emb

I'm a scholarship applicant. 

Ok, that's fine if cost doesn't impact it. I actually read over last years forum. Nobody got a budget email? That's so confusing. It seems that in years past the budget email has been crucial. 

I'm also not sure what languages they're looking for. Mandarin and Arabic seem to be the top choices every year, but I don't know if that is just due to the volume of applications for the two. 

Emb- I feel like they're avoiding sending out a formal budget email simply because they realize that it leads to too much speculation, so instead they just sent out a general confirmation of dates and budgets. 

Also, they did emphasize in the webinars that there's no "right" combination of language/internship/program, etc. and there's really not one language that's given preference over another. In essence it's the strength of your proposal as a whole and your ability to show the feasibility of you executing that plan.

I would agree that Mandarin and Arabic are the "top choices" simply because they are popular languages to learn these days, not because the Boren thinks they are more important than other languages or because they have more money dedicated to programs for these languages. Applicants are chosen and funding is given solely based on the overall package of your program plan, or at least that was my understanding based on all the webinar information.  

Emb- I feel like they're avoiding sending out a formal budget email simply because they realize that it leads to too much speculation, so instead they just sent out a general confirmation of dates and budgets. 

I did get a formal budget update email though, then a follow up email asking me to confirm my budget update.

The director for my school is new so we are both a little confused as to what this means. 

Does anyone know any numbers about linguistic diversity? 

Edited by emb

There are differences between the scholarships and the fellowships.  Scholarship applicants seem to get the formalized budget email.  In the recent past, fellowship applicants didn't get such a formalized email.

I have not received any e-mails regarding budget updates. Does anyone know which day of this month they will be sending out the notices?

With the way April ends this month, I assume that they will come out the last week of the month... I'm trying not to let the stress get me. 

I have not received any e-mails regarding budget updates. Does anyone know which day of this month they will be sending out the notices?

Which notices do you mean? Budget emails or notice of award? They said on Facebook awardees will be contacted by the end of April. 

I apologize for the ambiguity of my last post. I meant that I did not receive the budget e-mail. My question was in respect to the award notifications.

They are saying notifications will be at the end of this month.  Last year, for fellowships at least, they came around the 18th...no idea what they will do this year.

Radio silence from Boren except an email on the 2nd about a change in how much money they would allow for domestic study with AFLI. Anyone else get an email like this?

My advisor thinks announcements will go out April 25th. The wait is nearly over. 

Radio silence from Boren except an email on the 2nd about a change in how much money they would allow for domestic study with AFLI. Anyone else get an email like this?

My advisor thinks announcements will go out April 25th. The wait is nearly over. 

I got that email...the second one about the updated money for AFLI (last Wednesday, I think it was...)

Nothing here except the first one (budget email) on the 18th and one more specific/personal one about my budget on the 28th.... Stress dreams have set in and I'm hoping for a smoke-signal or something soon. 

did anyone NOT applying for the AFLI get 2 budget emails for the Boren Fellowship

I applied for the fellowship without AFLI and received one email as follows on March 10th: 

Hello from the Boren Awards.

We are emailing all 2014 Boren Fellowship applicants to see if you have any minor changes to your budget or program dates at this point. We understand that programs and budgets might have changed a little since you submitted your application. All applications are still being reviewed at this time and no decisions have been made yet.

Please email us any budget or date changes by this Friday. If you don’t have any changes, please do not reply to this email. We will be sending the notification emails to everyone in late April.

That is the only correspondence I have gotten from Boren Awards, hope this helps!