advice for applications?

clinpsych

Hi everyone,

Recently found this board and looking for advice from those who are applying, or have in the past, to clinical programs. I am planning to apply this fall, but I think one thing is holding me back: GRE scores. Some background: I have 3 years of RA experience at an Ivy league university, plus 1 year of research coordinating experience which has resulted in 4 publications, all in high-impact journals in psychiatry, with another soon to be submitted. I have a 3.91 undergrad GPA and 3.94 GPA from current master's program, both majors are psychology. The first time I took GREs, scores were 510 V 650 Q 4.5 AW; enough to get into a competitive MA program but no PhD programs the first time I applied (granted I only applied to 2; this was before I had any publications as well). Took them again this week and scores are 162 V, 152 Q, still waiting on AW. Is this a huge hurdle? I know Q scores seem to be more important to programs. Not making any excuses; I know I could have done better on the GRE, and given my GPAs, I hope that programs will see that my grades are a reliable and consistent indicator of academic achievement and future success. Should I address this in my personal statement?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

@PsychCT..."4 publications, all in high-impact journals in psychiatry" after you apply and get in, can I have your research coordinator job ;)? I would KILL for your background.

Have you checked out average GRE scores for your programs? How far away are you? You may not be as off as you think. As long as your scores are "good enough" to make the cut, the rest of your profile will make up for it.

Ha! Thank you, that made my day. I honestly work for an amazing PI who understands "the struggle" and is very proud of getting his former RAs/RCs into doctorate programs. If I do get in, there will definitely be a spot open - hopefully this works out for both you and me ;)

With regards to the last part - they do meet the minimum for programs like Columbia, which recommends > 310 combined. I am still applying to programs where it says that "recommended" percentile scores will be 70% or higher, since the verbal will be around 90% and the quant around 50%. I know this is gambling, but I am hoping like you said that it will be enough to make it past a first review. I am also going to apply to some clinical PsyDs and quite a few lower- to mid-tier programs. 

Thanks again everyone for your input. 

I have the exact same problem as you, my adviser just rolled her eyes and said everyone knows the GRE is pretty much garbage and she'll mention that I've shown in my work with her that I have excellent quantitative skills in actual real-life research settings... just not in highly artificial and high pressure testing environments.

• 2 weeks later...

My GRE was embarrassing. 292 .... like I said embarrassing. My GPA is almost a 3.9 and I am proud of my CV and research experience. I also think I have a perfect match ... so I am hoping I get really lucky and my scores are overlooked. The schools I am applying to do not have a cut off but recommend a 300 or higher. 

I think your scores are fine and have heard they are only used to weed out applicants.