Where Are You Going?

That_One

I just thought I would create a thread for decisions so that we can all get an idea of where this year's sociology applicants (at least the ones that participate in this forum) are ending up. If possible, please indicate what was most important in your decision (funding, location, other department attributes). We can use the following format:

I will be attending : NAME OF SCHOOL

Deciding Factor: Most Important Factor

hello!

I will be attending the University of Wisconsin Madison

Reasons: With the exception of the winter weather, everything there is pretty much perfect (well, for me). And I loved it, the receptive and warm feel of the campus, people, and faculty especially was a feeling that I couldn't shake out of me. The hugest factor in my decision was that I received funding, though.

I will be attending Cornell.

The biggest factor was the "feel" of the department in terms of how the students and faculty approach the discipline - there's no single professor I feel committed to working with there, but I got the feeling that it's a department that encourages quantitative, empiricist, professional soc; the extra-departmental resources (especially the ILR School) were also important to me. And, despite the warnings from so many people at Berkeley, I really do think I'll enjoy the location.

I will be attending Indiana University-Bloomington.

Biggest factors: research fit, "culture" of the department, how welcoming and awesome all of the people were during my visit, and how supportive the program was designed to be.

I will be attending the University of Maryland-College Park.

Deciding factors: They're the only program that accepted me and offered full funding. The faculty is awesome, there's a lot of research dollars floating around there, and the campus is lovely and not too far away from my family.

I will be attending the University of Southern California (USC).

Deciding factors were...

Fit: program's focus and several faculty with similar interests

Funding: 2 yrs 21K fellowship, 3 yrs 19K TA/RA, additional summer RA opportunities, vast majority funded until graduate

Faculty/student attitudes: enthusiasm, strong relationships, healthy atmosphere, supportive, etc.

I also really liked the location (weather, job opps for my partner, convenience, entertainment, etc.), graduate placement, program structure, rank, level of rigor, opportunity for co-authorships... I found a near-perfect program (for me, not everyone)!! YAY!

Congrats everybody!

• 2 months later...