Should I just wait it out and try next year?

Oncobench.Hege

I'm so undetermined with myself I can't think straight.

I want to start grad school as soon as possible because I want to get to where I need to before its too late for me. There are many people my age (24) and in my field that are already where I want to be in next couple of years.

My delema is my GPA and GRE scores. They are low and I have no research experience. I'm so busy with working two jobs I can't find the time or energy to work on apps.

Should I just wait out another year and work on my network instead so that I have a better chance? Or just apply now and see where it gets me? I don't think I can afford the application fees if I don't get into anything (not making much after survival expenses) and I guess I would just feel like I'm running behind if I do wait.

Am I procrastinating? Or am I thinking rationally?

Are either of your jobs related to the field you want to study for your PhD? If so, you can talk about those in your app. No need to feel rushed! And don't worry to much about getting anywhere by a certain age. I'm applying to PhD programs this year and I'm 28 and while I have friends who are well into (and some already out of) their graduate school careers, I don't regret the time I spent working at all - in fact, in my applications I'm talking about my teaching experience as something unique that I'll bring to the departments I'm applying to. 

To make the decisions about this year or next, ask yourself whether you'll be able to put together an application that your 100% happy with this year given your time constraints. If so, you might seriously consider applying this year, and if you don't think you have the time to put together the best application possible this year, think about next year. You could always apply to your one or two favorite programs this year, which would cut down on the time you need to invest and the cost this year. Then next year you'll already have a lot of the material ready to apply to your longer list of schools (if you do actually need to apply again).

Good luck  :)

If you are applying to programs that require a thesis, I think you really need to have some research experience. Did you complete an undergraduate-level thesis in an honours program? If you did, perhaps that will be sufficient. You would need to find out from others in the field if it would be necessary or highly recommended in your case to have additional research experience. One weak point on your application might be overlooked if other components are strong such as LORs, previous course work, volunteer work, professional work experience and your personal statements. But if many of these areas are lacking, including GPA and GRE scores, I think it would be wise to take some time off and figure out ways to become a stronger candidate in the future, particularly if paying for applications fees is an issue for you.

Edited by jenste

Are either of your jobs related to the field you want to study for your PhD? If so, you can talk about those in your app. No need to feel rushed! And don't worry to much about getting anywhere by a certain age. I'm applying to PhD programs this year and I'm 28 and while I have friends who are well into (and some already out of) their graduate school careers, I don't regret the time I spent working at all - in fact, in my applications I'm talking about my teaching experience as something unique that I'll bring to the departments I'm applying to. 

To make the decisions about this year or next, ask yourself whether you'll be able to put together an application that your 100% happy with this year given your time constraints. If so, you might seriously consider applying this year, and if you don't think you have the time to put together the best application possible this year, think about next year. You could always apply to your one or two favorite programs this year, which would cut down on the time you need to invest and the cost this year. Then next year you'll already have a lot of the material ready to apply to your longer list of schools (if you do actually need to apply again).

Good luck  :)

One of my two jobs is closely related. I don't have a whole lot of good options for LORs except for my two supervisors at my related job. I'm going to need the time and energy to write a really good Personal Statement, at least I feel like I will. So all in all, I feel like I won't be able to produce an app that I will be 100% satisfied this time around. But you have a great point about just applying to my two favorite choices now and I'll have most of the material for next year if it doesn't work out. So I'm thinking I won't apply this year but I will work on as much as I can throughout the year as I gain more experience and a more broad network of professionals.

Yes, you should wait.  But you don't need to work on your network (at least, that's not the only thing you need); you need to retake the GRE and get some research experience.

This is my plan. It's official.