Language in SOP's

zudei

This might seem like a strange and/or stupid question to ask, but after having several private discussions about my SOP I realised that there were a disproportionately large number of comments on my usage of British conventions and spellings in my SOP.

I never quite felt the need to switch over to American style spellings, and indeed I find it a little trivial to do so because the meaning remains the same. I have been brought up (rather strictly) with British style spellings and conventions and find it hard to let them go lol. 

So in your opinion does it REALLY matter changing my spellings in my SOP? Will I be expected to follow American spellings if admitted to a PhD programme in the USA? If yes, I guess I better start changing my habits now! I don't particularly want to and I don't particularly feel the need to. But if it really is all that important I don't mind changing.

Of course I've already shared my opinion, but what it comes down to is this: an American program will require you to use American spellings, as will most journals. It is trivial for all the reasons you've suggested, but you might be better off demonstrating your willingness to stick to convention in your SOP.

I agree! I'm American and I did a masters in the UK. I switched over to british spellings for that time. They didn't make us do that, per se, but the way I looked at it, I wanted the professors reading my work to focus on what I was saying, and not on how I was spelling it.

It's good to be thinking about details, but this one is largely at the margins.  But, all else equal, it can't help to have the spellings readers are most used to.

You mean "not used to", right? Yes, it is nitpicking, but now that the substantive portions of my application are more or less taken care of, I'm fine tuning things. Thanks a lot for your opinions. The majority opinion seems to be in favour (dammit, I did it again!) of changing, so change I shall.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

It's funny because I go to an American school and the majority of our textbooks are British. I think it's trivial. At the very least, it adds some character. 

I agree with everyone above; I also did a Masters in the UK and changed to the British spelling while there (which incidentally stuck so now I spell words incorrectly in the US :)). But I think the more important issue is that you want to avoid anything that makes the reader focus on your spelling/writing/typesetting rather than on your content!