The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

Does anyone know about writing thank you letters? I want to email the POI that I spoke on the phone with to thank him for taking the time to interview me. Is email too informal?

Hmmm. I'd like to hear what others think. I would say hold off, but then what do I know? 

fishjg - Didn't you get an interview with Chicago? How'd it go? 

Nope - didn't apply, actually! I got accepted at U of T and UC Davis. I am really happy about it, but my fiancé and I are trying to go to the same school/same region…so far not so good! Gotta stay positive!!

I sent a fb message to one of my recommenders asking his opinion. He told me to definitely do it. I guess a little extra politeness can't hurt, right? Plus I feel like it'll give me a chance to sound a little more articulate. I was so nervous during my phone interview that I was stumbling over my words a bit. I hate how I get like that when it's important!

Nope - didn't apply, actually! I got accepted at U of T and UC Davis. I am really happy about it, but my fiancé and I are trying to go to the same school/same region…so far not so good! Gotta stay positive!!

Ah ok, I didn't recall. I'm from Northern California, Davis is really nice. I've never been to U of T, but Iv'e heard it's very nice too. Congrats on your acceptances and good luck with the rest!

Does anyone know about writing thank you letters? I want to email the POI that I spoke on the phone with to thank him for taking the time to interview me. Is email too informal?

I wrote a thank you email to one of the POIs I interviewed with. He sent me one back wishing me a good spring semester. I think it's a nice gesture.

You guys are so much nicer and more polite than me haha

Haha. My parents are kind of old school and have beat it into my brain to write thank you's for this type of thing. Who knows? Maybe someone else he interviewed didn't send one, and maybe he's really a stickler for politeness, and will say "Oh well Dana sent me a nice thank you note, she's definitely earning brownie points for that! Not like that other interviewee!" At least that's how it plays out in my crazy, nervous, desperate imaginings. In reality he'll probably be like "oh, okay." 

He mentioned in the interview that if I wanted to come visit I should ask. I should have said something in my thank you email but I forgot. Oh well, I would need to get my professors to excuse me from class anyway, and I won't be able to ask them until later.

He mentioned in the interview that if I wanted to come visit I should ask. I should have said something in my thank you email but I forgot. Oh well, I would need to get my professors to excuse me from class anyway, and I won't be able to ask them until later.

Oh man, if you do get the chance to visit I would recommend it.  The campus is gorgeous.

Oh man, if you do get the chance to visit I would recommend it.  The campus is gorgeous.

I want to! But I am worried about spending even more money on this process and then not getting in. Also I absolutely cannot take time away from my studies. I'm already using up some of my class skips to present at a conference in April. :-/

So I noticed that some socio-cultural applicants received rejections from CUNY. Anybody on the Arch side of things hear anything from them?

sorry If there have already been posts about this, I was working all day/trying not to think about results.

It really is. I grew up in San Diego and it and USD are easily the prettiest campuses in the city (sorry, SDSU. you're great and I loved living by you but the others are prettier). Hoping that my trip back home over Spring Break can include a visit to meet my new faculty :X otherwise I'll avoid La Jolla altogether (just kidding, I'll still go basically live on the Shores)

It really is. I grew up in San Diego and it and USD are easily the prettiest campuses in the city (sorry, SDSU. you're great and I loved living by you but the others are prettier). Hoping that my trip back home over Spring Break can include a visit to meet my new faculty :X otherwise I'll avoid La Jolla altogether (just kidding, I'll still go basically live on the Shores)

Oh man, you all are making me really really want this even more! Also, the UCSD website has pics of people surfing. I want to be a cool grad student who goes surfing! Pick me, pick me!

I want to! But I am worried about spending even more money on this process and then not getting in. Also I absolutely cannot take time away from my studies. I'm already using up some of my class skips to present at a conference in April. :-/

I was told in the interview that they actually fly out students who got accepted into the program for a weekend, or something like that. At least that's what I understood. I don't have money to go on my own either!

I was told in the interview that they actually fly out students who got accepted into the program for a weekend, or something like that. At least that's what I understood. I don't have money to go on my own either!

He never said that to me! Just that if I want to come visit, I should ask. I replied that I would love to, but I would need to check with my professors about missing class, although I am sure they won't mind. He also mentioned introducing me to current grad students. I said that I had wanted to reach out to them but was not sure about how to go about it, and he said that they're on break anyway because they have some weird quarter system instead of the traditional two-semester system.

Did you get specifically invited? Did they immediately say "Come visit we'll pay?" I think when/if my POI replies to my thank you I'm going to say that if possible I want to come visit and ask what I need to do to make that happen.

Now I am starting to feel less hopeful since they didn't flat-out offer to fly me out. 

They didn't offer to fly me out either :/ though maybe it's because I've already been to the campus.  It would be amazing if I could fly out because I'd like to meet the grad students and maybe sit in on a seminar or two.  

They didn't offer to fly me out either :/ though maybe it's because I've already been to the campus.  It would be amazing if I could fly out because I'd like to meet the grad students and maybe sit in on a seminar or two.  

:unsure:

Did you get specifically invited? Did they immediately say "Come visit we'll pay?" I think when/if my POI replies to my thank you I'm going to say that if possible I want to come visit and ask what I need to do to make that happen.

No, no. He just said that they're doing things differently this year, and that they'll invite all acceptees (is that the word?) to get to know the professors, the campus, and the cohort.

Im not sure about what I'm saying, I'm just going off of what I've heard.  My POI at Chicago told me that if they made me an offer they would definitely fly me out to meet and greet. Just offering up what they said, so I can't speak for all schools. I wouldn't take what I say as scripture by any means.

Now I am starting to feel less hopeful since they didn't flat-out offer to fly me out. 

No, don't lose hope! They didn't flat-out offer to fly me out either. They do that after decissions are made, and they were meeting today for that and after that they'll have to submit them and go through a bureaucratic process and whatnot.