The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

The arch program is separate, right? Because I haven't heard anything back from UCLA, and I was kinda hopeful since I met a my POIs at the AAA's, and they were really interested in my project and said I'd be a great fit. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up based on that.

Yup, don't worry! I'm holding out for the archaeology department, not anthropology. : )

There's a Brown Joukowsky result up saying top candidates have been invited to an interview weekend. Given I've had nothing, I'm not holding out hope :(

such a devastation. my only real hope was this. what does an interview weekend mean? maybe it is only for those living in the usa?

Question: sometimes it says people are notified by email and sometimes by phone for the same program. Do some POI's call and others don't? Does it depend on your relationship with the POI? I wasn't able to visit anywhere before applying, but I had email exchanges with each POI. Do you only get phone calls if you've talked on the phone before? Any idea how this works? Just curious.

Question: sometimes it says people are notified by email and sometimes by phone for the same program. Do some POI's call and others don't? Does it depend on your relationship with the POI? I wasn't able to visit anywhere before applying, but I had email exchanges with each POI. Do you only get phone calls if you've talked on the phone before? Any idea how this works? Just curious.

I'm assuming it depends on the relationship or maybe if the professor has something else to offer like fellowships and such. It seems like the standard is email.

Does anyone know anything about the Adcomms at UCR, SDSU (particularly confused about this one because there is only one result on this website and it's a confusing one), or UCSD?  I have no idea when they meet or what to expect.  Each school's website says they inform at the end of February, but the results page here suggests dates from the beginning of February to mid-April for each school. 

I also see varied results for notification by phone, email, and postal service. 

The percentage of time I spend daydreaming about life in graduate school is unhealthy. Teaching, research, coursework, worrying about deadlines... however masochistic that sounds. Ugh, I really want thissss. I'm sure you guys can relate. :lol:

In any case, tomorrow is Monday! This HAS to be the week the ball starts rolling... right?

The percentage of time I spend daydreaming about life in graduate school is unhealthy. Teaching, research, coursework, worrying about deadlines... however masochistic that sounds. Ugh, I really want thissss. I'm sure you guys can relate. :lol:

In any case, tomorrow is Monday! This HAS to be the week the ball starts rolling... right?

I really hope so! February definitely has more results than January.

So, looking back at last years interview requests for Chicago, It looks like this is the week! I hate wishing the weekend to be over before it begins, but wowzers! 

does uchicago do interviews for sociocultural anthropology too? when i had just started applying, and spoke to one current grad student there, he didn't indicate that interviews would be part of the gruel as well! maybe it just slipped his mind? or do interviews apply only for archeology candidates? 

nervous jitters... 

FYI, another snowstorm in NY today.  I'd expect further delays on decisions as many local schools are closed and in the case of open universities (cough cough mine ughhhh) the weather will change schedules depending on where people are coming from. 

The weather has not been helpful this cycle. 

does uchicago do interviews for sociocultural anthropology too? when i had just started applying, and spoke to one current grad student there, he didn't indicate that interviews would be part of the gruel as well! maybe it just slipped his mind? or do interviews apply only for archeology candidates? 

nervous jitters... 

Just from looking back a few seasons on the results page, it shows interviews taking place. Thats the only information I know about that. I do however know that today is supposed to be the day the department meets and decides on a short list and historically it appears interviews are given to potentials this week, usually by tomorrow.

I 100% feel this post.  I have a lot to do right now with finishing up my undergraduate degree and research project, but I'm still just fantasizing about grad school.  Ever since I started studying anthropology I have had the goal of continuing on to get an advanced degree.   

It's funny because my boyfriend doesn't get it at all.  He got his masters a while ago in Geography but just kind of fell into it.  He didn't have a great undergrad GPA or any research experience or anything, but he got into the only school he applied to and had not problem getting his degree.  He was never super driven to get a master's degree and doesn't understand what it's like to want it super bad and to know you probably won't be qualified to work in your field at all without an advanced degree.  He also has no concept of how competitive anthropology programs are.  So he doesn't get why I'm so stressed about this. 

Sometimes I do wonder if Anth and Arch are staying true to form and carving letters in rocks / preparing vellum / crushing ochre - it would explain the wait!

Omg this is the best and probably true. Hahahaha.

Has anyone else had problems with ETS sending their GRE scores? One of the schools I applied to says they never received them. I'm trying to call ETS and I can't get through, the line is busy. I talked to them last week and they claim they sent them. I'm really considering going to their office and flipping tables until they fix the problem.  :angry:

Sometimes I do wonder if Anth and Arch are staying true to form and carving letters in rocks / preparing vellum / crushing ochre - it would explain the wait!

Love it! Seems like any news is taking FOREVER! Then again, it's February... we have to hear eventually, right? Right??  :wacko:

Does anyone know anything about the Adcomms at UCR, SDSU (particularly confused about this one because there is only one result on this website and it's a confusing one), or UCSD?  I have no idea when they meet or what to expect.  Each school's website says they inform at the end of February, but the results page here suggests dates from the beginning of February to mid-April for each school. 

I also see varied results for notification by phone, email, and postal service. 

Hey strudelle,

I'm applying to SDSU, and I haven't heard anything yet.