The Waiting Game - Fall 2014

monfemme

Congrats!  Now comes the phase of obsessively checking gradcafe

Done and done (and a few more of them in the last few hours).

Now, seriously... Where's the answers?

:(

p.s.

I'm checking the Spam section of my gmail account so frequently that it's practically empty!

I met with a POI who I really liked and I love her projects and really want to work with her.  It's not in my ideal location, but I think the program is the best fit for me.  Obsessively checking my application online.  It says my transcripts haven't arrived yet although I sent them weeks ago.  So much frustration. 

The good news is that they send acceptance letters in February.  Fingers crossed. 

Has anyone applied to UPenn? My documents have been received but my application remains still incomplete for some reason? Did this happen to anybody?

Mine was listed as completed the day after I submitted.  Maybe just a glitch due to break?  You could try emailing them too, I got a pretty quick response when I did.

Has anyone applied to UPenn? My documents have been received but my application remains still incomplete for some reason? Did this happen to anybody?

I had the same issue! I emailed them and they told me that my app was complete and not to worry. That's probably what happened to yours, too... Poorly worded status websites are baaaad for the mental health of applicants :wacko:

Even though I just sent my application to Cornell they got everything as "received". Considering the fact that they were among the earliest last year to notify, maybe we will get news pretty early this year as well.

Fingers crossed.

I wonder how the weather might slow things down.  I know, at least, that at my university, break for faculty and staff was extended and many people are still stranded abroad due to airport cancellations.  I doubt that the committee will meet as planned.  Maybe remotely?  I am sure the same is true for other universities currently experiencing the post-Hercules polar vortex. 

Thoughts? 

Is it bad in the East Coast? I am an international so have no idea.

Record-setting low temperatures almost across the US, but a particularly bad storm has really mucked things up for places like NY, Boston and Chicago.  It means closures and infrastructure malfunctions and a slew of other weather-related inconveniences, which is why I think we might be hearing later than last year from schools in the aforementioned cities.   

should I start a thread for archaeology applicants? it gets all mixed up here.

That's so funny - I kept thinking this thread was basically all archaeology...

When is the absolute earliest we will hear back from schools with December 1 deadlines? I am looking for Emory in particular. Emory was a long shot, and admittedly a pipe dream fantasy, but maybe there's a sparkle in the twilight ahead ;)

Mutualist - most of my schools had January 1st/early January deadlines.  I was told by each school that they generally make decisions and send out acceptance letters by the end of February at the latest.  So I'm guessing a December deadline is probably a similar timeline if not a bit earlier?

Does anyone know if an application fee waiver helps or hurts your application in any way?  I had to send in a copy of my tax return in order to get approved for a fee waiver.  I was wondering if they would use this information to confirm that I am indeed incredibly poor and maybe this would give me a better chance of acceptance or funding?  Thoughts?

UT Austin only accepted one archaeology student. The POI I spoke with referred to the accepted individual's advisor as "him" but I don't know the professor's name.

Harvard will be making final decisions at the end of January and supposedly notifications will be mailed out in mid-February.