Not invited for an interview - decreased chance?

doefficient

Hey all,

So checking the results page of this site, it seems that some people were offered an interview for the program I had also applied to. Does this mean that I will most likely be rejected? Do they hold multiple interview rounds? The open house/interview weekend is in a couple of months and I just feel that I don't have any chances at this point :(

You should have a contingency plan, but I wouldn't lose all hope. A friend of mine never heard back from one of her programs and wasn't invited for an interview. However, come April, they actually e-mailed her with an offer! And in my field, it's pretty unorthodox not to have an interview.

It's not over 'til it's over! :)

Here are some positive and negative thoughts (I wish it could all be positive!)

Negative: As others said, it's not likely a good sign. In my application year, all of the schools that I did not receive an interview invite to after seeing interview invites posted online resulted in a rejection for me. 

Positive: In addition to what others said about waves of interviews, the school might not actually be interviewing everyone. From what professors tell me about grant review processes (no link) and hiring decisions (e.g. http://tenureshewrote.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/the-hiring-process-from-the-perspective-of-a-new-hire-part-i/), usually the easiest ones to pick out are the best applicants and the worst applicants. The worst applications can be set aside, but the best ones, if everyone agrees that they are the best, can also be quickly and easily agreed on and put aside. The applications that require the most discussion and scrutiny (and potentially interviews) are the ones in the middle. So maybe you haven't heard anything yet because you are in the "best" group!

Negative: Many grad schools will just interview everyone anyways, because it's not that much more time to interview the "best", especially as a sanity check.

Positive: Some schools only interview international students. Or, if the school admits/hires students based on each prof, then whether or not you're interviewed depends on the who your POI is!

You may not  be the school's first choice, but their "first choices" may choose to go to other schools, leaving them looking for replacements. In other words, until you get an official rejection, there's still some hope.... Good luck!

*sigh* I hope that's it. I'd rather them send me the rejection now than make me wait for it.

Thanks for your reply!

That exactly what I wanna say.....

They'd rather send me the rejection as soon as possible if the decision has been already made.

I've been told by professors that part of their decision is based on you showing interest. In my field informal interviews are not uncommon, but not necessarily the norm. I was invited to one but went and requested that I meet with my POIs for the others. It may be worth sending an email to the POIs you're most interested in working with to show interest, even if you don't think they will meet with you.

I generally started by requesting a phone conversation. I would guess that what is being labeled as an "interview" by others may well have been this sort of informal campus-visit or phone conversation. Even if you've already submitted your application, I would say poke around to see how common contacting POIs during the applications process is in your field.