My latest paper; from my Physics

dfindley

ps this guy is trolling the fuck out of you

If so it's a truly elaborate troll-job, considering he really does have a self-published book on Amazon (and in fact posted photos of it on his fb back in 2012, so it's not some hoax he cooked up when he found this forum). You could be right, of course, but it's hard to square the facts with your theory.

Not sure what you're getting at re Nietzsche. Regardless of what one thinks of his work (obviously some don't consider it philosophy at all), it's undeniable that he was a legit and respected scholar working within the academy, at least for a while, which one can't say about Dave (no offense).

I find the guy fascinating, though not for the reasons he probably wants...

?? Why ?

Thanks for the card <3

Okay, my bad Dave, thought you might have left it there accidentally. Personally I wouldn't want my name and address on a public internet forum, but it's a mater of preference I guess.

So if I can ask again the question I asked you in another thread: where do you see yourself, ideally, in 5 years? 10? I'm sincerely curious.

That's awfully personal information to share with 'quackademic' ; O)

Maybe if you shared with me the basis of your curiosity?

Sure. You present yourself as desiring to be accepted into graduate school, yet refuse to actually optimize your chances of getting in. This suggests to me that you don't actually want to be in grad school (whether you realize this or not). So I'm interested in whether you've really given sober thought to what you want intellectually/professionally.

Not sure what you're getting at re Nietzsche. Regardless of what one thinks of his work (obviously some don't consider it philosophy at all), it's undeniable that he was a legit and respected scholar working within the academy, at least for a while, which one can't say about Dave (no offense).

The point is that the whole "he has mental health problems so it is easy to ignore him hur dur" is the exact kind of  thing that people (read: professional philosophers) say about Nietzsche today. And Nietzsche wasn't respected at all in his lifetime, which makes this line of rhetoric a lot easier to make from people who don't like him.

Hmmm...

Well, I suppose at bottom I just think I think I want to go to preschool. IF I get in, then I'll probably teach academically while I edit my own journal in metaphysics O:-)

I'll have a nice wife... be looking forward to raising a hero of a son.. and just sit back and appreciate a modest lifestyle.

Or I could be in Thailand, reading and writing.

I don't know.

The point is that the whole "he has mental health problems so it is easy to ignore him hur dur" is the exact kind of  thing that people (read: professional philosophers) say about Nietzsche today. And Nietzsche wasn't respected at all in his lifetime, which makes this line of rhetoric a lot easier to make from people who don't like him.

To be honest, anyone who says that because Nietzsche had mental health issues and therefore wasn't a proper philosopher doesn't know anything about Nietzsche. His health issues prior to his mental breakdown were mostly physical ailments, and any depression he may have experienced is not anything abnormal to philosophers and certainly isn't of the caliber of mental issues that I suspect dfindley suffers from. And let's be honest, what philosopher worth his salt will deny at least the influence Nietzsche has had on philosophy in the last 150 years?

As for your second point, that's just blatantly not true. Yes, he may not have had a cult following like Wittgenstein, but he was (and remains) the youngest academic chair in the history of the German university system. If that isn't enough to establish the fact that his work was respected, I don't know what is.

And Dr. Mustache...really?

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Well, you seem to have gotten at least half my point by getting super defensive about Nietzche's mental condition. It feels super bad to be dismissed because of stuff like that. Maybe try not to do it to others so freely?

Anyway, how does having a chair at uni before having written anything establish you as respected? It just establishes you as somebody with connections.Take a look at the inital print runs of Genealogy, Zarathustra, BGE or anything else that matters. Take a look at the reception of the Birth of Tragedy! Nietzsche laboured in sad obscurity for his entire life.

Some might argue that he was more of a philologist anyways, eh? I'm also jumping ship over here, but reading him in undergrad while studying Classics, I was always impressed with his (classical) philology skillz.

dfindley--i'm still curious to know a little more about how you became interested in philosophy, what drives you now, and how you seem to have such broad yet oddly specific knowledge...even tho you're trolling hardcore, i imagine it's taken you some work to learn about how to be the best philosophy troll ever.  and i'm curious about your feelings for nietzsche and even deleuze--you've berated them both (usually nietzsche more), but there also seems to be some recognition of accomplishment at other points.

i also forgot who mentioned this, but findley's book IS on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Metaphysics-Being-Nothingness-William-Findley/dp/1490386718/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387419688&sr=1-5&keywords=david+findley

how does this correspond with everyone's troll theory?

i also forgot who mentioned this, but findley's book IS on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Metaphysics-Being-Nothingness-William-Findley/dp/1490386718/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387419688&sr=1-5&keywords=david+findley

how does this correspond with everyone's troll theory?

He is the MOST dedicated troll.

Which reminds me: read all of Jon Cogburn's internet posts on speculative realism. Y'all seriously underestimate the perseverance of the philosophy troll.

Edited by Jarrod

.........seriously I'll just be lurking until someone has something to say about the work itself.........

It is the beginning of an outline of an outline-ontological substructure- .

E=ST. Quantum entanglement.

......gravity is just the beginning........

.....anyone.....