Master's programs in Eastern Orthodoxy?

Jonjae

Hello, all!

I'm new around here, but I'm thrilled to have found Gradcafe! I am a junior undergrad student studying Ancient/Biblical Languages and Early Christianity. I've been trying to find suitable grad programs for the past year. I've recently narrowed down my field to studies in Eastern Orthodox theology and writings. However, I'm starting to wonder if it's too narrow of a field... (I hope not!). I've read several posts on Early Christianity and Historical Theology programs, but they aren't super relevant to what I'm aiming for.

I would like to ask for some schools and big names in my field. So far I've tracked down (outside of actual Orthodox seminaries) GTU's Eastern Orthodox MA and Oxford's Eastern Christian Studies. I'm a little daunted by both, so I'd like a few more options for when I apply next year (I would like to begin grad school Fall 2015). I'm also aware of John McGuckin at UTS, but I'm not sure of my fit at Union.

Thank you for your time!

One more thing: I'm looking to ultimately pursue a PhD in Eastern Orthodox Studies. A few UK schools are viable options for the PhD (D.Phil), but I'm not sure where else. Advice on doctorate programs would be greatly appreciated as well!

Hi and welcome! Eastern Orthodox types often disguise themselves in other areas, so someone who looks like a church historian or medievalist may have a specialization as a byzantinist, or someone who works in contemporary theology may be an expert in Schmemann or similar. If you want to limit yourself to a degree in Eastern Orthodox studies, you will have only a few options. If you're willing to look for experts in your chosen area regardless of department or degree name, the you will have many more options.

So, what area of Eastern Orthodox studies? If you can tell us a bit about your more specific interests, we might be able to point you towards places and people who work in the specific area :)

As Macrina pointed out, 'Eastern Orthodoxy' is called different things depending on where you study. Since you are interested in early Christianity/biblical languages, I'm wondering if you are most interested in early 'eastern' texts? FWIW, I study early 'Eastern Christianity', which usually refers to Christians living in Roman Palestine, Syria, and so on. Sebastian Brock (likely the most famous guy working in early Eastern Christianity today) has called this 'Semitic Christianity' in that it largely developed alongside the other 'Semitic' languages, i.e. Aramaic/Syriac. Because of this, a lot of the folks working in early Eastern Christianity are located in Near Eastern Language departments, while the more Greek-Latin focused folks are located in mostly theology, religious studies, etc. departments. The reasons are somewhat complex. As you mentioned, across the pond there are a lot more programs emphasizing research in this area, though they are, like most of their ancient programs, decidedly more philological. However, there are some exceptions (viz., the prolific and young Bas Ter Haar Romeny).

If, on the other hand, you mean modern 'Eastern Orthodoxy' in the Greek tradition...that's another story! Though, you can see how these fields are very closely related, yet oftentimes located in different departments. Throughout ancient Syria, from late antiquity well into the medieval period, the 'orthodox' tradition grew out of the co-development of the Greek and 'Semitic' traditions, and because of the Western tendency to locate 'orthodox Christianity' (that is, the True Christianity) within the 'Western' Greco-Roman traditions, we have more or less mislabeled and marginalized many of these early traditions, much because of their similarities with those Semitic Jews (a strong tendency in early Protestant scholarship that still plagues the field today). This, I think, is the definition of Orientalism.

cheers

Seeing as your title says Eastern Orthodoxy I would recommend to University of Virginia's M.A. in Religious Studies

There are four different tracks

- Historical Studies

- History of Religion

- Scripture, Interpretation, and Practice

- Theology, Ethics, and Culture

I recommend UVa because its a well respected program but primarily for you because of Vigen Guroian, the faculty member who leads Orthodox Studies at UVa (see here... http://www.guroian.com/status-of-orthodox-studies/summary.html)

Also worth your time may be an M.A. in Theology at Fordham University. It's a Jesuit Catholic school but there are at least two Orthodox theologians (Papanikolaou and Demacopoulos) on faculty and they have an Orthodox Studies Center  (http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/orthodox_christian_s/)

Beyond that, the best place to study Orthodox theology is likely at an Orthodox Seminary, and in no way will that ban you from PhD studies.

Hi and welcome! Eastern Orthodox types often disguise themselves in other areas, so someone who looks like a church historian or medievalist may have a specialization as a byzantinist, or someone who works in contemporary theology may be an expert in Schmemann or similar. If you want to limit yourself to a degree in Eastern Orthodox studies, you will have only a few options. If you're willing to look for experts in your chosen area regardless of department or degree name, the you will have many more options.

So, what area of Eastern Orthodox studies? If you can tell us a bit about your more specific interests, we might be able to point you towards places and people who work in the specific area :)

That's useful to know! Thank you! Now it's a matter of finding these "hidden" scholars. As furtivemode has mentioned, one prominent scholar is Sebastian Brock at Oxford but according to the website he's now retired. I'm pretty sure that means he won't be taking any more students/he is not my ticket in to Oxford.

My interests lie more in theology than in strictly history. I would really like to explore ecclesiology and the issue concerning the lapsed in a broad sense and then as the Eastern Orthodox tradition addresses them, if that makes sense.

Edited by Jonjae

As Macrina pointed out, 'Eastern Orthodoxy' is called different things depending on where you study. Since you are interested in early Christianity/biblical languages, I'm wondering if you are most interested in early 'eastern' texts? FWIW, I study early 'Eastern Christianity', which usually refers to Christians living in Roman Palestine, Syria, and so on. Sebastian Brock (likely the most famous guy working in early Eastern Christianity today) has called this 'Semitic Christianity' in that it largely developed alongside the other 'Semitic' languages, i.e. Aramaic/Syriac. Because of this, a lot of the folks working in early Eastern Christianity are located in Near Eastern Language departments, while the more Greek-Latin focused folks are located in mostly theology, religious studies, etc. departments. The reasons are somewhat complex. As you mentioned, across the pond there are a lot more programs emphasizing research in this area, though they are, like most of their ancient programs, decidedly more philological. However, there are some exceptions (viz., the prolific and young Bas Ter Haar Romeny).

If, on the other hand, you mean modern 'Eastern Orthodoxy' in the Greek tradition...that's another story! Though, you can see how these fields are very closely related, yet oftentimes located in different departments. Throughout ancient Syria, from late antiquity well into the medieval period, the 'orthodox' tradition grew out of the co-development of the Greek and 'Semitic' traditions, and because of the Western tendency to locate 'orthodox Christianity' (that is, the True Christianity) within the 'Western' Greco-Roman traditions, we have more or less mislabeled and marginalized many of these early traditions, much because of their similarities with those Semitic Jews (a strong tendency in early Protestant scholarship that still plagues the field today). This, I think, is the definition of Orientalism.

cheers

I would say I'm more interested in the theological aspect and I have a stronger foundation in Greek and Latin (but now having just completed biblical Hebrew competency I'm somewhat open to Semitics). I think the hardest part is untangling these interrelated fields (even though their being interdisciplinary is highly useful) and figuring out what my focus will be. I would like to know which programs will be most worth the time and effort (well-rounded?), as opposed to my being in a certain program solely because of one researcher.

Seeing as your title says Eastern Orthodoxy I would recommend to University of Virginia's M.A. in Religious Studies

- Historical Studies

- History of Religion

I recommend UVa because its a well respected program but primarily for you because of Vigen Guroian, the faculty member who leads Orthodox Studies at UVa (see here... http://www.guroian.com/status-of-orthodox-studies/summary.html)

Also worth your time may be an M.A. in Theology at Fordham University. It's a Jesuit Catholic school but there are at least two Orthodox theologians (Papanikolaou and Demacopoulos) on faculty and they have an Orthodox Studies Center (http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/orthodox_christian_s/)

Beyond that, the best place to study Orthodox theology is likely at an Orthodox Seminary, and in no way will that ban you from PhD studies.

Thank you both, furtivemode and matthewadam22, for your suggestions! I'm glad to know that there are other programs that are a possible fit. I'm interested in UVa and Leiden now. After break I'm hoping to pick up some works by these scholars and see what interests me further. Edited by Jonjae

- Historical Studies

- History of Religion

Also worth your time may be an M.A. in Theology at Fordham University. It's a Jesuit Catholic school but there are at least two Orthodox theologians (Papanikolaou and Demacopoulos) on faculty and they have an Orthodox Studies Center  (http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/orthodox_christian_s/)

agreed

Again, note the vast difference between the guys at UVA and Fordham vs the folks who study ancient Eastern Christianities. Most of the big name schools are going to have at least someone who does the Greek side of ancient eastern things, though much less so on the 'Semitic' end. As is always the case, your interests will change quite a bit wherever you go next. Find a place (as you said) that has a broad range of faculty within your interests, not just one guy.

Also, one thing I would suggest. I did my MTS at a large, well-known Catholic seminary, and now that I am doing an MA in a much smaller program, I cannot stress enough the benefits of studying in the latter. The smaller programs are usually more competitive, but if you can get a spot in a good MA program you will likely have much more personal access to the faculty. Since you seem to already have a really good foundation in the ancient languages (a situation many are not fortunate to be in when they begin their graduate work), you should be able to dive in to more advanced work not long after you begin. Don't settle for a cookie-cutter masters program that will force you to check a number of boxes in things you have no interest. Off the top of my head, I would def. apply to Notre Dame's MTS, their ECS, and Yale Div's MARc.