How are you guys waiting this out?

Cottagecheeseman

Also, why does no one on this forum have any self-confidence? All of you profess to be almost certain you'll be rejected from every school. I should say that I don't think this will happen to me at all, notwithstanding the insanely competitive applicant pools.

I think Imposter-Syndrome (still not sure if that's a thing) or self-deprecation is rampant among those who study philosophy (I can't speak for other disciplines). So it doesn't strike me as too strange that very few people here believe that they're going to get in anywhere or that they're worth working with the faculty they want to work with. 

I certainly have some self-confidence, and I wouldn't have applied if I didn't consider myself capable of getting in. I think I'm good at philosophy and I think I have a strong application. Striking out is just a real possibility for anyone given the competition, and I refuse to kid myself about that.

It is possible to have self-confidence while wanting to have realistic (if not slightly pessimistic) beliefs about one's possibility of getting into a program. It's also likely that people want to air out their negative thoughts here, where people are likely to commiserate rather than say something like our friends and family (with good intentions!) "Oh no, you'll get in somewhere for sure!" 

It is possible to have self-confidence while wanting to have realistic (if not slightly pessimistic) beliefs about one's possibility of getting into a program. It's also likely that people want to air out their negative thoughts here, where people are likely to commiserate rather than say something like our friends and family (with good intentions!) "Oh no, you'll get in somewhere for sure!" 

I've got to say, this has a definite ring of truth to it. Although I understand my family's and friends' good intentions, I prefer commiseration and realism. It feels nice to talk to people who really understand the difficulties lying ahead. 

Anybody else snowed in right now? Not sure where you're all from, but I'm smack in the middle of the crazy snow and freezing temperatures right now. The combination of cabin fever and my neurosis regarding admissions is not fun.

Apparently NIU is shut down right now due to bad weather. I tried to email them to ask if they'd received my transcripts and they sent me back an automatic message saying that:

"The university is officially closed due to the extreme weather.  We will respond to your message as soon as we return to campus."

Shit, I need to email some places and make sure my transcripts made it. I'm not snowed in, but it's flippin cold (went from being 50 this morning to freezing right now). Also Johns Hopkins hasn't emailed me back yet about their transcripts contradiction debacle. God I hate this finished applying but not sure if apps are completed feeling...

I like it. Also, everyone should read Goethe's Faust. It's amazing.

no it isn't. what's wrong with you? ...maybe if you skip large portions of it is somewhat bearable..

bet you'd like Stephen king. welcome to the 21st century Òooooooo

Hey! Back to insulting me huh? Aiming for that permanent ban this time? Dream big dfindley.

P.S.

If you need help understanding Faust, cliffnotes might be able to help, you know, for a serious scholar like yourself. 

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I was going to mention that the cliff notes would be your best bet --then you could skip the hell and use your imagination . make faust x10 better ya

are you sure you're not 'liking' faust because you're proud you read a famous old book or becAuse you genuinely enjoyed reading it? yaaa

I bet you genuinely enjoyed thus spoke zarathustra too (pyuuuke) that was good for the first 30 minutes before my high wore off

Edited by dfindley

Actually, to be honest, I did enjoy Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Sure, it's rough in some parts, but it's not exactly terrible. Actually, it's not even the worst thing that Nietzsche wrote. As for Faust, it's not a status symbol, I genuinely enjoyed reading it. It's a work both of tremendous philosophical worth and cultural standing. But outside of that, the story itself is genuinely a good one. I'm sorry that your taste differs from mine, but honestly, what about it was unbearable? Was the language too difficult for you? Did you miss the subtlety of it? I'm genuinely curious. As for Stephen King (though I honestly don't see the connection between the two), I liked some of his things. I thought The Stand was quite nice. I couldn't get into the Darktower series though. I'm not sure he's a genius like Goethe, but he's not a schmuck either. 

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

hmmm.. for me... I had my not-getting-in breakdown months ago.

what I do in my spare time -- is continue to work on my system. I have actually made some leaps of progress. bounds.

I have come to terms with the fact that I don't actually need to graduate school to do what I'm doing. I can actually do it on my own and be comfortable. school would be nice but it isn't necessary.