How are you guys waiting this out?

Cottagecheeseman

I'm already checking email constantly (though mostly just to make sure nobody is emailing me about incomplete admission) and I just want to sleep until febuary/march. So how do you guys plan to keep yourself calm and not stressed until then?

I work full time (I'm not currently in school, took a year off because i couldn't afford to apply while in school) so besides that I plan on reading a lot of science fiction, playing video games, and forcing myself to be away from electronic devices connected to the internet as much as possible. Also I'll probably read some philosophy books or two, but not too much. Doing philosophy makes me think about grad admissions, and that I probably won't get in anywhere, and that makes me depressed, which makes me not be able to do philosophy.

Also I'm probably gonna drink too much. Gotta be honest with you guys about that...

I have a lot of distractions that I didn't have to create artificially.  I got into karaoke recently, for some reason, and have all these karaoke outings set up with my boyfriend and with groups of friends.  I'm also going to L.A. for a week in January (coming up very soon).  I'm a teacher and have the spring semester to prepare for.  I also have a reading group that I run, and so I have many meetings between now and mid-February that are going to be fun/interesting.  A lot's going on, and yet I still think....AM I GOING TO GET INTO A PHD PROGRAM OR NOT???  I NEED TO KNOW.

I kinda feel like I will not get into one.  But I'm too lazy to start making preparations for alternatives.  It's partly that I'm not terribly dissatisfied with my life.  I'm in a happy relationship, I have good friends and family, I'm in a profession I enjoy and have no plans to leave and in which I make money (it's not great money but it's enough) -- teaching.  Not getting into a Ph.D. program wouldn't kill me.  The biggest thing I'm counting on a Ph.D. program for (outside of the experience and the program itself)  is the chance to move (and to have a financial base with which to do it).  I know I could try to find a job in cities of my choice, too, but that's easier said than done.  I'll probably try harder once I know for sure I am not accepted to a program.  I was looking the other day, and many of the jobs and opportunities I want to apply for require letters of recommendation.  I don't want to start asking for those damn things all over again until I know for sure what the deal is with the Ph.D. thing.  

Edited by purpleperson

I've buried myself in reading and writing. So far over the break I've read FaustWalden, an assortment of essays by Emerson, some various science fiction, and I've begun Difference & Repetition. It's helped keep my mind off things. I also spent 18 hours drawing a concept web for authentic and inauthentic Being-towards-death in Being & Time, because I didn't feel like I understood it after my independent study last semester. I've also decided to take a full course load this last semester, just to finish strong. So basically, I'm working on so much that I don't even have the time to worry about applications. 

I have a lot of distractions that I didn't have to create artificially.  I got into karaoke recently, for some reason, and have all these karaoke outings set up with my boyfriend and with groups of friends.  I'm also going to L.A. for a week in January (coming up very soon).  I'm a teacher and have the spring semester to prepare for.  I also have a reading group that I run, and so I have many meetings between now and mid-February that are going to be fun/interesting.  A lot's going on, and yet I still think....AM I GOING TO GET INTO A PHD PROGRAM OR NOT???  I NEED TO KNOW.

I kinda feel like I will not get into one.  But I'm too lazy to start making preparations for alternatives.  It's partly that I'm not terribly dissatisfied with my life.  I'm in a happy relationship, I have good friends and family, I'm in a profession I enjoy and have no plans to leave and in which I make money (it's not great money but it's enough) -- teaching.  Not getting into a Ph.D. program wouldn't kill me.  The biggest thing I'm counting on a Ph.D. program for (outside of the experience and the program itself)  is the chance to move (and to have a financial base with which to do it).  I know I could try to find a job in cities of my choice, too, but that's easier said than done.  I'll probably try harder once I know for sure I am not accepted to a program.  I was looking the other day, and many of the jobs and opportunities I want to apply for require letters of recommendation.  I don't want to start asking for those damn things all over again until I know for sure what the deal is with the Ph.D. thing.  

How do you teach? Do you have an MA already? Just out of curiosity.

I feel the exact same way. I've been compulsively checking this forum, and WGI just hoping that someone will post something. I'm organizing a conference, writing my thesis, and teaching/taking courses next semester so that ought to preoccupy me some. My wife got me a flying lesson for Christmas, so I think I may try to log hours to get my private pilot license over the semester as well. Definitely a lot of video games. Mostly just stressing out about it, even with some things to keep me busy. 

If you want to read one philosophy book, I just finished Death & the Afterlife by Samuel Scheffler and it is amazing. 

How do you teach? Do you have an MA already? Just out of curiosity.

Yes, I have an M.A. already.  I teach community college and have for four years now.  I'm also not in Philosophy.  I'm in English. I just keep posting on y'all's board because I like this crowd better than the English crowd.  My boyfriend is in Philosophy, though.  He has an M.A. and teaches at community colleges, too. He applied to Ph.D. programs in 2009 (for fall 2010) and 2011 (for fall 2012) and was rejected from all.  No, he was wait-listed at Michigan State, but that's it.  He had low GRE scores, though, so don't be discouraged by his failure to get in.  He didn't break 1000 on the GRE, but he reads high level theory all the time and is highly intellectual.  He's a fan of Spinoza (sp?)  But he does not like the GRE.

Edited by purpleperson

But he does not like the GRE.

Who does? I appreciate the response. *sigh* I was hoping there might be backup in case I didn't get in anywhere, but it looks like I'll be making coffee for a year if I don't get accepted anywhere. Seems like that's about all my BA is good for lol.

Who does? I appreciate the response. *sigh* I was hoping there might be backup in case I didn't get in anywhere, but it looks like I'll be making coffee for a year if I don't get accepted anywhere. Seems like that's about all my BA is good for lol.

Are you applying only to Ph.D. or to M.A. programs also?  Because if it's some M.A. programs, too, you'll probably get in to at least that.  

Not in philosophy, but this is a very important topic. I've started applying for jobs and have 2 interviews tomorrow in marketing. I know nothing about marketing, but it is the only sector responding to my resume... I want the job because (1) I NEED money, (2) I do not want to put my life on hold for something that may not happen, and (3) it will at least give me something to do for most of the day that I won't be able to check gradcafe every 5 seconds. 

However, I do not want the job because I will  hate to get it and have to quite in 7-8 months and it is not in my field of interest, but I need money. 

Not in philosophy, but this is a very important topic. I've started applying for jobs and have 2 interviews tomorrow in marketing. I know nothing about marketing, but it is the only sector responding to my resume... I want the job because (1) I NEED money, (2) I do not want to put my life on hold for something that may not happen, and (3) it will at least give me something to do for most of the day that I won't be able to check gradcafe every 5 seconds. 

However, I do not want the job because I will  hate to get it and have to quite in 7-8 months and it is not in my field of interest, but I need money. 

Take the job and quit in 7 to 8 months if you have to.  People do this all the time because they need money while they're waiting for something better.  If you do your best while you are there and give them some notice when you quit, there's no problem.  Good friend of mine kept taking jobs with the intent to find something better later, and he did just that.  He's doing quite well making 80K now, but he stayed at a job for four months previous to that -- one which paid him 40K -- one which he went to every day and did his time but was sending out resumes to other places all the while.  

Edited by purpleperson

I'm still working on my applications, actually. I'm trying to smooth out my writing sample and make my SOIs as flashy as I can. I get the sense that some of you (most of you actually) completed and submitted your application before December even started. Is anyone else submitting their applications just before the deadline? 

I submitted most of mine pretty late to the deadline for those due December 31st and January 2nd, but pretty ahead for any due afterwards. I still have a few things to follow up on, but I'm done. I wanted to apply to a school due December 15th, but there was no way I was gonna hit that, so I just dropped that school.

Due to a surprise fellowship that's getting disbursed in January, I'm able to take winter break off from work.  It feels genuinely bizarre; even while doing my MA coursework I've been working 25-30 hrs week.  So much time on my hands now, I kind of don't know what to do with myself (and it's feeding my admissions monomania).  I'm working on revising two articles (one due to the editors Jan 15th and one due Feb 1) and trying to get a jump on the reading for my comprehensive exams in the spring.  There's no way I'm going to be able to read, thoroughly process, and thoughtfully synthesize sixty books next semester without a head start!

I submitted most of mine pretty late to the deadline for those due December 31st and January 2nd, but pretty ahead for any due afterwards. I still have a few things to follow up on, but I'm done. I wanted to apply to a school due December 15th, but there was no way I was gonna hit that, so I just dropped that school.

So did you end up applying to Arizona or is that the one you dropped?

I'm already checking email constantly (though mostly just to make sure nobody is emailing me about incomplete admission) and I just want to sleep until febuary/march. 

I'm there.  Although I have taken the precaution of unsubscribing to any and all junk mail lists to which I've been subscribed.  This way, come Feb/March, I won't get all excited when I see a new message, only to discover that its just a 25% off promo email from Harry and David.  Maddening.

So did you end up applying to Arizona or is that the one you dropped?

No, if you read their stuff, they only started going over applications on the 15th, the actual due date was the second. I submitted mine like 22nd.

Edited by zizeksucks

Currently spending a lot of time with friends, who are all aware that I need to take my mind off of this business. Once spring semester starts I'm going to try to just keep myself busy working on my senior thesis and reading for classes. I wish I could completely forget about the whole thing for now, but I've been obsessively checking my email and the online status of my applications to make sure they received all my LORs and transcripts. Too stressful.

I submitted my first application on November 12th; the last (of 13) was submitted December 13th.  So, I got them in pretty early.  

From this thread, I'm sensing I fall somewhere in the middle or even on the "less" side of the obsessed spectrum.  I think plenty about whether I'll get in or not, but I haven't been on this board constantly, haven't checked my email any more than usual, and certainly haven't been logging into the applications making sure they are complete.  I did follow-up, but I'm doing it sporadically (and I consider it a major chore as opposed to something I want to do).  I followed up enough to know that 9 out of 13 apps are 100% complete, and the remaining four just have a small item pending that I don't think will interfere with my file being reviewed.  I'm not too paranoid about not getting reviewed, because I sense that they review your application if most of the stuff is there, and that they're understanding about one deadbeat letter-writer or a community college transcript that you didn't even get a degree from, things like that.  If they accept you, they'll ask for the missing item.  

I'm really, really trying to treat an acceptance as something that would be an extremely pleasant surprise and NOT an inevitability.  I should just assume the competition is too great, and I'll be left out.  

Anyway, we all need to just stress the fun/good things in our lives.

I'm into cooking lately.  Kinda fun.

Watch a good movie, watch a good television show.  Enjoy life.   

Edited by purpleperson

I submitted my first application on November 12th; the last (of 13) was submitted December 13th.  So, I got them in pretty early.  

From this thread, I'm sensing I fall somewhere in the middle or even on the "less" side of the obsessed spectrum.  I think plenty about whether I'll get in or not, but I haven't been on this board constantly, haven't checked my email any more than usual, and certainly haven't been logging into the applications making sure they are complete.  I did follow-up, but I'm doing it sporadically (and I consider it a major chore as opposed to something I want to do).  I followed up enough to know that 9 out of 13 apps are 100% complete, and the remaining four just have a small item pending that I don't think will interfere with my file being reviewed.  I'm not too paranoid about not getting reviewed, because I sense that they review your application if most of the stuff is there, and that they're understanding about one deadbeat letter-writer or a community college transcript that you didn't even get a degree from, things like that.  If they accept you, they'll ask for the missing item.  

I'm really, really trying to treat an acceptance as something that would be an extremely pleasant surprise and NOT an inevitability.  I should just assume the competition is too great, and I'll be left out.  

Anyway, we all need to just stress the fun/good things in our lives.

I'm into cooking lately.  Kinda fun.

Watch a good movie, watch a good television show.  Enjoy life.   

I like it. Also, everyone should read Goethe's Faust. It's amazing. 

I am not in the least stressed about whether or not all of my materials will be received. I take enough assurance from the check mark next to each element on the application websites. 

I am working on a book review for a so-so philosophy journal, reading some articles in metaethics and moral realism, and just carrying on. I also have not been checking my email more than I normally would (which is probably too often anyways). I don't anticipate following up with programs for another week or so. 

After such an intense experience (I just got all my apps in), I'm not really sure what to do with my self.  I too, already have an MA and have I've been adjuncting in addition to some other part-time work.  So I'll probably keep doing that. I might also sit in on a philosophy course or two and try to write a paper or two.