How are you guys waiting this out?

Cottagecheeseman

If you haven't seen either The Wire or the Sopranos, you should watch those. They are old at this point, but still amazing and you can binge-watch to your heart's desire. 

I love the Wire. It also doesn't hurt that I grew up nearish Baltimore, and visited it a decent amount when I was younger. (Damn, I want a laketrout sammich with hot sauce right now)

dfindley : kant !!!

(ignored)

dfindley : personal research !!!

(troll)

dfindley : writing samples !?

(sorry we're too good to openly discuss that abort of thing)

(....but oooo did you see the sopranos? ooo )

Did you ever think that we're here, not because we want to discuss philosophy, but because we're looking for a place to escape the seriousness of philosophy for a while? The whole process is quite stressful, and I'm here, not because I want to have serious conversations about philosophy (which I get plenty of in my department and with other majors) but because I want to casually chat about things vaguely philosophy related with people who understand how stressed I am right now. I speak for myself of course, but I'd hazard a guess and say that there are at least a few others here who are here primarily for commiseration. 

Oh, and I finally gave up on being a hipster about tv shows and decided to catch up on the popular tv shows that people have watched over the last decade. I'm starting with Lost, and other suggestions?

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I actually never took Star Trek (the next generation) very seriously growing up because of the negative stigma surrounding it.  But I happened on it on Netflix one day.  Some of the episodes are pretty silly, but I found a lot of it quite interesting as a student of philosophy. 

Did you ever think that we're here, not because we want to discuss philosophy, but because we're looking for a place to escape the seriousness of philosophy for a while? The whole process is quite stressful, and I'm here, not because I want to have serious conversations about philosophy (which I get plenty of in my department and with other majors) but because I want to casually chat about things vaguely philosophy related with people who understand how stressed I am right now. I speak for myself of course, but I'd hazard a guess and say that there are at least a few others here who are here primarily for commiseration. 

Oh, and I finally gave up on being a hipster about tv shows and decided to catch up on the popular tv shows that people have watched over the last decade. I'm starting with Lost, and other suggestions?

This guy gets it!

Popular shows? I don't know whats popular and what's hipstery. What do you like, comedy, drama, both? I'm still somewhat behind the times, but there are some great comedies on FX(x) like the League, Archer, Louie, Always Sunny in Philidephia. As for dramas, there's always Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, - if you like Zombies apparently the walking dead is really good, but I never got into that. Netflix dramas like Lilyhammer, House of Cards, and Orange is the New Black are all really good as well.

I dunno if what I said is popular or not, but its what most of my friends/classmates seem to talk about. But maybe I hang out with hipsters, I dunno.

Essentially what I mean is that, if in the last decade a large majority of people thought it was a fantastic show, I haven't seen it (except for Game of Thrones because I liked the books). So I haven't watched any of those shows. How is Mad Men? I didn't think a show about advertising would be interesting. 

Essentially what I mean is that, if in the last decade a large majority of people thought it was a fantastic show, I haven't seen it (except for Game of Thrones because I liked the books). So I haven't watched any of those shows. How is Mad Men? I didn't think a show about advertising would be interesting. 

Mad Men isn't about advertising, it's about people who happen to do advertising. The people and their lives is what the show is mostly about. That said, it's a pretty good show, but I haven't watched all of it, I've heard the quality has dropped recently (or is it over?). But yeah, if you haven't seen the Sopranos or the Wire, watch those for sure. Also 30 rock for comedy.

DON'T WATCH LOST! If you are like most people, you will become heavily invested in the amazing series and will want answers to all of your burning questions. Then, in the series finale, the writers will crush your dreams and make you wish you hadn't wasted all of that time. 

Another series like that is Battlestar Gallactica (Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.). Amazing series, piss-poor ending. 

For the less intense TV viewers, I recently re-watched That 70s Show... Red Foreman is one of the best TV dads of the last 20 years. 

'Don't you remember when you turned 18, dad?'

'When I was 18 I was driving a gun boat around Okinawa, and if you count the Japanese snipers as my friends then yeah, we had a pretty good time.'

I loved the ending to both Battlestar Galactica and Lost. :(

It's difficult to really discuss either of these without major spoilers, but as an aesthetic realist, I think you're mistaken.  ;) People should definitely still watch those series, by the way, I was just expressing my frustration with how each one was ended. 

The best series finale of all time is definitely the Sopranos, though. 

Waiting it out by finishing up applications to safety schools and immersing myself in my senior thesis. 

On the more intriguing topic of good tv shows, however, I give my hearty recommendation to Game of Thrones. Beyond that, I can't say I watch much tv, excepting the Office, which has 9 glorious, mind-numbing seasons to burn through when you've got nothing to do but wait on news from departments. 

Did anyone else apply to Penn State? Did anyone else find it weird that the self-reported GPA was only supposed to be the cum. from the last 3 semesters?

I didn't, but one of my apps (don't remember) wanted me to report like 5 GPAs: total, junior & sr. year only, 300+ classes only, major only, jr. & sr. year major only, etc. I thought it was pretty clever... I think looking at jr. & sr. year GPA in addition to total GPA is an especially good idea. I would guess the last 3-semesters thing is trying to get at junior and senior GPA and forgetting that some people have graduated. 

FYI

A nice conversation is taking place at the Philosopher's Cocoon directly related to all of us here. 

http://philosopherscocoon.typepad.com/blog/2014/01/reader-question-top-5-ways-to-narrow-down-grad-schools.html

Thanks, this is cool. 

A question: Aravan says "I know of at least one very highly-Leiter-ranked program whose student-completion rate is absolutely abysmal." Anyone know what that might be?