Peabody at Vanderbilt, Fall 2014

birdy-bear

@StheBD I believe user haihai explained that he/she was not contacted until April and was eventually admitted off of the waitlist. I'm not sure if he/she attended the recruitment weekend and then didn't hear until April or was never contacted about the weekend. So that would mean that there is a chance that you could be on the waitlist though haihai is from a different department than the one you're interested. For the past 3 years at least, the entire cohort for LPS has come from people at the recruitment weekend. Not to say that has to happen this year (who knows what can happen in a given year). Just trying to give out some information. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

I'll be going to the Masters visit weekend on Feb 21/22.  If anyone else is going let me know! 

I just got unexpected approval to take three extra days off work AND tickets were impossibly cheap. All the ducks got in a row.  :) I'll see you there!

Can anyone offer information re: the timeline for Ed.D decisions? I've emailed with admissions, and they stated Ed.D applicants aren't included in the invite list for the weekend. Would love any/ all info about this...

I just got unexpected approval to take three extra days off work AND tickets were impossibly cheap. All the ducks got in a row.  :) I'll see you there!

@Emma4903--I'll be going! I'm already an undergraduate student here lol, but it'll be nice to have a different perspective.

I'm travelling all alone, so it would be great to meet you guys! I'm only arriving thursday night and leaving sunday.

Any chance you guys would want to meet up?

@StheBD & @lilgreycells,

I was not invited for the recruitment weekend but got an offer early April, about one week before 4/15. My department did not inform me that I was on the waiting list. It appears that they do not do so. I needed to contact them in late March because I had offers from other top schools and sensed that they wanted me to make a decision soon. Then, the department told me I was on the waiting list.

I think I gave this information but I had a chat with an admission officer at my department. The person said that the department has already made a first cut. This means that weak applicants were rejected and top applicants were invited for the recruitment weekend. Those in the middle are on a waiting list. I don't know how many are on the list. The number could be just five or close to 100 for one or two possible seats. There is still a hope but at the same time keep in mind that Peabody offers a generous funding so it is rare that those with offers turn them down unless they have other offers from such schools as Harvard, Standford, Northwestern, etc. 

I got into the M.Ed InternationalEducational Policy and Management

I received an email to check my application.  I received a Deans Tuition Scholarship which was in the acceptance.  

Good luck everyone! 

Hi everyone :) I got into the International Education Policy and Management M.ed program. No scholarship mentioned on my acceptance page tho, it's still very exciting news. I'm an international student, so probably have no chance to visit the campus in Feb. Plz update some info :))) Thnx a lot!!

I'll was accepted to the IEPM M.Ed. program as well, and will be at visiting days Feb 21/22. Hope to see at least one of you there! 

I'll was accepted to the IEPM M.Ed. program as well, and will be at visiting days Feb 21/22. Hope to see at least one of you there! 

Congrats! I will definitely be there, so I'm sure we'll get to meet  :)

Did anyone else in the Higher Ed program apply for the graduate asisstantships? Does anyone know if they are guaranteed for both years? It seems like a great way to defray the costs!

Did anyone else in the Higher Ed program apply for the graduate asisstantships? Does anyone know if they are guaranteed for both years? It seems like a great way to defray the costs!

I am also in the Higher Ed program! :) I applied for two of the assistantships, but I'm not sure how long they last if you are offered a position. It would be great if they were though!

I am also in the Higher Ed program! :) I applied for two of the assistantships, but I'm not sure how long they last if you are offered a position. It would be great if they were though!

Hey,

I'm not sure how assistantships work in the US.  How would I apply? 

Thanks!

Hey,

I'm not sure how assistantships work in the US.  How would I apply? 

Thanks!

I think it's different for every institution. At Vanderbilt, there are a couple positions available for graduate assistantships that you can apply to. Some schools guarantee that you will get an assistantship and others do not. I believe Vanderbilt is of the ones that does not guarantee an assistantship. 

You should receive information on how to apply and available positions once you have been accepted. Since each school has different procedures for how to apply to assistantships, they explain it all in an email once you've been accepted. That has been my experience with two of the schools that I've been accepted to.

Thanks everyone for the great insight and advice!

Since I live right here in middle TN, I pretty much threw the Haily Mary and applied only to Peabody just to see if I could possibly pull of the miracle and get accepted. I still haven't heard, but I've pretty much resigned to the fact I'm either rejected or on a wait-list. We shall see!

I applied to interview for a graduate assistantship over the visit weekend but haven't heard anything. The initial email said we would be notified by today.  I felt my cover letter and resume were REALLY strong for the position I applied for and am very surprised I've heard nothing.  Have other people heard? Should I assume I didn't get the interview?

I applied to interview for a graduate assistantship over the visit weekend but haven't heard anything. The initial email said we would be notified by today.  I felt my cover letter and resume were REALLY strong for the position I applied for and am very surprised I've heard nothing.  Have other people heard? Should I assume I didn't get the interview?

I'm in the same boat. I applied to two positions and haven't heard back from either one :/

I think it's different for every institution. At Vanderbilt, there are a couple positions available for graduate assistantships that you can apply to. Some schools guarantee that you will get an assistantship and others do not. I believe Vanderbilt is of the ones that does not guarantee an assistantship. 

You should receive information on how to apply and available positions once you have been accepted. Since each school has different procedures for how to apply to assistantships, they explain it all in an email once you've been accepted. That has been my experience with two of the schools that I've been accepted to.

Thank you!

I havent quite clicked the accept button yet so that would be why. 

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I hope you'll forgive my abrupt entry. I completely forgot that I had an account here. I received an offer of admission to the MEd in IEPM. I still haven't accepted it though, waiting to hear back from a couple of other places. 

Did anybody attend the Student Visit days this weekend? What can you tell the ones who couldn't go? I'm in India, so I had absolutely no way of going to Nashville just for a weekend.

Also, could someone fill me in on how to apply for assistantships? The admissions office told me that interviews will not be held before May. What are the kinds of assistantships on offer?

Thanks in advance!

To thecrab and anyone else who missed the Masters Visit Days: the weekend was jam-packed and a great way to gauge individual fit with the school/program, but don't worry... We didn't really learn anything that will put us a step above anyone who wasn't able to go! Here's the briefest of brief overviews, most of which will surely be covered in student orientation this fall. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions:

Student Organizations: There are five different student organizations on campus, all summarized on the graduate student groups website, except for a new organization called Common Grounds. Common Grounds aims to unite students within Peabody across programs, interests, and disciplines... facilitating dialogue, organizing events, etc. (Common Grounds is ALSO the name of the coffee shop in the student center, which I thought was funny.) Most of the student organizations have leadership roles you can run for in your first semester, and they are eager to get first-years involved. If you want to start a new organization, Dean Camilla Benbow is the person to talk to. 

Peabody Career Services: 95% of students who utilize PCS find jobs within 90 days of graduating. They're there to help with resumes, set up mock interviews, connect you in with the Vanderbilt network, etc.

Current Student Panel: Students seemed to agree on the following: 

(1) Nashville is fantastic: great music scene, top-notch food, minutes to an hour away from outdoor activities (hiking, biking, climbing, rafting) people say hello to you, etc.

(2) The programs are really, really, really hard, but you can make a conscious effort to have a life beyond school.

(3) The high cost of Peabody was worth the investment: for the pursuit of top-notch learning with the best folks in the field, and for being trained to become teacher-leaders and teacher-innovators.

One potential student asked about the drawbacks to Peabody. Responses included: feeling isolated from other departments (an island unto one's own department), the high cost of education, one student felt that the HDC program wasn't holistic (didn't tie in race or spirituality, specifically), and one department was tweaking a new program (an ESL specialization, I think?) that made one student feel like a guinea pig.

Financial Aid: 400 on-campus jobs are given to Peabody students each year, 80 of which are research assistantships (RAs). About half the people that apply to RAs get one. RAs work 20 hours per week, and receive a grant which pays for 70% of the RAs' tuition for 9 credit hours and a monthly stipend of $800. RAs need four free mornings (8-12) and four free afternoons (12-3:30) in their schedule since the research typically takes place in schools. It seems like most RAs implement intervention techniques in schools and are trained on-the-job (previous experience with kids not a prerequisite). Interested applicants should contact the e-mail address listed on the handout (which I can send you... PM me your e-mail address) and their own department heads in April (but NOT before) in order to be guided through the application process. The other 320 jobs are on-campus positions ranging from $9-14/hour. To learn more about those, we can check out vanderbilt.edu/studentemployment. For students starting in the summer, you need to fill out 2013-2014 AND 2014-2015 FAFSAs. For students starting in the fall, you only need to fill out the 2014-2015 FAFSA.

Nashville & Housing Options: An entertaining overview of Nashville's neighborhoods and price ranges. I signed up to receive the powerpoint, which goes into as much detail as the presenter did. When we receive this, I can forward this on to anyone as well. Resources for finding housing included: Craigslist, Facebook Groups, these Vanderbilt classifieds, and this Off-Campus Referral Service

There was also a current faculty/alumni session which I didn't attend, as well as program and department overviews (which obviously differed by department)! I also have handouts for the Applied Behavior Analysis Training Program and Master's Interdisciplinary Specialization in Poverty and Intervention, which I'm also happy to forward on if these are of interest to anyone. Maybe some other folks in attendance have useful details to add? Hope this helps!

Edited by birdy-bear

In general (not specific to a certain program), not all invited applicants receive an admission offer. Faculty members meet with the applicants to see if they fit well with their program. If something stands out, the faculty members discuss it after the recruitment weekend and decide whether to give an admission offer. Usually each program has a limit on the number of students they can admit and invites slightly more students than they can admit.   

Has anyone else invited to the recruitment weekend for the PhD in LPO (Leadership, Policy, and Organizations) heard back yet?  I've been stalking the results board and it looks like one person maybe got a rejection?  I'm going crazy over here, I thought we would hear by now!

Nope, I haven't heard back yet. The reply to my thank you email said that decisions will likely be out by the 3rd.