Peabody at Vanderbilt, Fall 2014

birdy-bear

I hit "submit" on my applications a mere 48 hours ago, and I thought I'd take a break from compulsively checking my application status every five minutes to post on here. Who else is applying to Peabody, and what programs (and concentrations) did you apply for? What drew you to your particular field? 

From previous years, it looks like decisions could arrive anywhere between mid-January and mid-March... Let the waiting, finger crossing, and breath holding begin. Good luck, everyone!

Edited by bgk

• 3 weeks later...

Leadership and Policy Studies -- PHD Program

The suspense is killing me. I've noticed that they've already scheudled interviews and they've also rejected people. Nothing to do with me yet! Argh!

I applied to the Community Research and Action program. Also saw that that one has had rejections and invitations to recruitment weekend. This is ALSO driving me nuts - I am assuming I didn't make the top cut but not the lowest, either. Vanderbilt by far is my top choice - this program beautifully combines everything I dream of doing in the future.

Good luck!

For PhD students in general, Peabody invites students who each department are seriously considering for acceptance to recruitment weekend. While getting invited to the weekend is not an automatic acceptance it is a great sign so congrats if you got the email last week! And not getting an invite doesn't mean an automatic denial either, though the chances are more slim.

If you have any questions about the weekend (interview questions, general setup, dress) or Peabody PhD life in general feel free to PM me. I'm either in one of the programs y'all mentioned or have friends that are in them.

Good luck to you all!

I applied to Learning, Teaching, and Diversity. Haven't heard anything.

From looking at past years and dates of acceptance, it seems this program doesn't conduct many interviews and prefers to offer acceptances towards the end of February. Who knows? Again, I'm basing that only on what was submitted through the Grad Cafe. Good luck!

Edited by ATLeducator

All of the PhD programs at Peabody hold their interviews the same weekend (that's the recruitment weekend referred to previously). And yes while it can sometimes take longer, a majority of students hear back if it's going to be an acceptance by very early March (often within 2 weeks of interviewing). If you were not invited to interview I am not sure how long it can be before a response. That's not to say that the timeline I just outlined is set in stone. Just that's how it has generally worked in the past.

Edited to add: for the PhD in Psych I never remember if they come the same weekend because of the joint program with Arts and Sciences. Apologies wish I could help more.

Edited by lilgreycells

I was accepted to one of the doctoral programs at Peabody early April. I didn't hear from the school at all and inquired my status in March and found I was on a waiting list. If you haven't heard from Peabody yet, you are likely to be on a waiting list (not sure where on the list). As those invited for the campus visit reject an admission offer and the total number of incoming students becomes small, the top applicant on the waiting list is given an offer. I hope this gives some hope to those who haven't heard from Peabody by this time.

Edited by haihai

I don't think there are many students every year who are accepted from a waiting list. I would think this is a rare case, as few applicants deny an admission offer from Peabody, which comes with very generous funding, unless they receive offers from Stanford or Harvard (or other schools with full funding in great locations). So very few people know about a timeline for those on a waiting list.

One thing I noticed about Peabody's doctoral students is that not all of them come from prestigous undergraduate institutions with a master's degree from a top-ranking school and great professional and research experience. Some come from a local state school without a master's degree and/or with little work experience. It appears Peabody likes to take open-minded students (I mean in terms of research direction).  

If I am going to be waitlisted for it, I just wish they'd tell me! Haha..

I understand the process, but it's rough on me. It'll all be worth it if I'm accepted! Here's to hoping..

Anyone coming for the recruitment weekend from SPED? Feel free to send me a private message if you have questions, or want to chit chat! 

Oy vey! I didn't realize that e-mails had been sent out to M.Ed. applicants. You're applying to the SPED M.Ed. as well, emilyrobot? When did you receive an invitation for recruitment weekend? (Congratulations, by the way!) I haven't heard anything from the Special Education department, but I've gotten an amazing amount of support from the folks in Child Studies. I'd be completing a very similar program in either department and they're equally competitive (the Child Studies program slightly more so), so the discrepancy has me confused (and so very nervous)!

Oh Birdy, so sorry to cause a panic! I'm a PhD applicant. The M.Ed program has a different admissions timeline, I'm pretty sure. 

The discrepancy between the two departments you mentioned might be because the SPED folks are focused on evaluating the PhD applicants first, and then will turn to the M.Ed folks (Child Studies doesn't have a PhD program, I'm pretty sure). I think it's way to early to panic!

Edited by emilyrobot

Phew, thanks emilyrobot! I'm not sure what it was about your other posts that caused me to think you were applying to M.Ed. programs, but it's a huge relief that I had it wrong. Good luck at the recruitment weekend! I'd love to chat with you sometime no matter which programs we end up attending... Our interests are quite similar!

@lucerovespertino the Dean's office of Peabody has sent out the invitations to Recruitment Weekend for all of the departments. This is only for the PhD program. Master's students have a different timeline (for anyone reading who is applying to a Master's program).