Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Oh no! I think, maybe, that I just discovered my Madison application to be incomplete... Well, seems I didn't deserve it then anyway :-/

... I think I am going to email departments and check up on my applications.

... Maybe cry a little. 

Oh no! I think, maybe, that I just discovered my Madison application to be incomplete... Well, seems I didn't deserve it then anyway :-/

... I think I am going to email departments and check up on my applications.

... Maybe cry a little. 

What causes you to believe that?

Yep. Not sure why I responded "True, true."

Well, I guess what I meant is that the first rounds of acceptances will taper off in about five weeks.  But yes, absolutely we'll be watching results until April 15!!  Actually, we may see some results even after that (despite the formal deadline of April 15).

Claiming the Wisconsin-Madison acceptance! The email is personalized down to specific parts of my application they liked, and how my interests are a good fit for the program. I would expect these to come out pretty slowly.

I am honestly in disbelief right now, thought this program was a bit of a reach for me.

Wow, really a personalized letter of acceptance! Obviously, you are their No. 1 choice candidate. Is there a specific philosopher at this university with whom you want to work, if you do not mind my asking? If so, did you mention it in your statement of purpose? Please PM me about these questions if you prefer. Thanks so much. Congratulations on the three (!) acceptances. You are a really really strong applicant. (Most likely born a philosopher.)

Edited by Platonist

Hey friends, quick question:

I got accepted to SUNY Albany, and I'm a little confused about this part of my letter:

"Any additional information regarding conditions and terms of your admission is listed in the section below.

(Section below): You need to contact the department at (phone number) for advisement.

After you have received advisement, you may register by following the instructions for web registration..."

Does this mean that I need to call them now? Or call them if I accept their offer?

I got accepted to SUNY Albany, and I'm a little confused about this part of my letter:

"Any additional information regarding conditions and terms of your admission is listed in the section below.

(Section below): You need to contact the department at (phone number) for advisement.

After you have received advisement, you may register by following the instructions for web registration..."

Does this mean that I need to call them now? Or call them if I accept their offer?

Weird, their deadline hasn't even expired. That must mean you're a stellar applicant! Downvotes for you!

shelbyelisha: I'd recommend getting in touch with the department (and doing so through the number they gave you seems to make sense) to find out what is meant by that section of your acceptance letter. Seems like a normal question, since 'advisement' is so vague and/or ambiguous. 

Also: Congrats on the acceptance! 

Weird, their deadline hasn't even expired. That must mean you're a stellar applicant! Downvotes for you!

Thank you! Hopefully that means good things for when they're giving out funding :)

shelbyelisha: I'd recommend getting in touch with the department (and doing so through the number they gave you seems to make sense) to find out what is meant by that section of your acceptance letter. Seems like a normal question, since 'advisement' is so vague and/or ambiguous. 

Also: Congrats on the acceptance! 

Thanks!  I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding something obvious.

Is that a letter from the graduate school or the department?  The last season I applied, I got a few offer letters from graduate schools that seemed to assume I would accept immediately and gave me instructions for doing so.  You almost certainly need to worry about advising and registering only if you accept SUNY Albany's offer at some point.

Edited by Petros

Is that a letter from the graduate school or the department?  The last season I applied, I got a few offer letters from graduate schools that seemed to assume I would accept immediately and gave me instructions for doing so.  You almost certainly need to worry about advising and registering only if you accept SUNY Albany's offer at some point.

The letter is from the DGS.  I called the department, and they asked me to email a professor within the department.  I'm just worried that there may be additional steps I need to take in order to get funding, and that's what the advisement is.  

The letter is from the DGS.  I called the department, and they asked me to email a professor within the department.  I'm just worried that there may be additional steps I need to take in order to get funding, and that's what the advisement is.  

Well, never mind then.  I'd be interested to learn why I was downvoted, since I clearly specified that I was talking about a letter from the graduate school, not the department.

Well, never mind then.  I'd be interested to learn why I was downvoted, since I clearly specified that I was talking about a letter from the graduate school, not the department.

Personally, I thought it was bad advice to tell someone not to contact the department. When the information is that vague, it's certainly better to be safe than sorry, especially when each offer is so precious. Telling the student to worry only if they plan to accept the offer is not very helpful, in my opinion, as it's better to be proactive and verify with the department whether or not the offer has conditions in place.

Thanks for the clarification, philosophe.  I didn't actually say "don't contact the department."  I said that if the letter came from the graduate school, it could be similar to what I have experienced in the past, which did not require any action on my part.  But since we now know that the letter came from the department, my anecdotal evidence does not apply (if it did in the first place).

Hello, 

Thought I'd sign-up since it bodes well if everyone is informed about what's going on given that the applications are done.

Received note from Duke that I was wait-listed yesterday. It was a rather optimistic email, but I'm not sure what to make of that.

Good luck to you all!

M

Congrats!!