Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

I was just reading more about Madison's philosophy program. They say that they accept ~25 students, Does anyone else think that is a lot? Does this mean the actual incoming class size is 25? 

I saw that figure on its website. It did strike me as somewhat high. The admit rate must be around 12.5%, perhaps slightly lower. So, it's out of the 5-10% range, but still quite selective. It obviously doesn't mean that the incoming class is 25. The 25 figure probably refers to everyone who receives a first round acceptance and everyone who is accepted off of the wait list. But this is just speculation.

What causes you to believe that?

I looked back at my application when I couldn't get into NetID and found that my Writing Sample didn't make it through the system the first time as I had thought. I've since emailed all the departments to which I applied to ensure my application was complete with them. 7 of 13 responded within a day (i.e. so far). A couple where very nice, most pithy, and one a little rude if I'm honest.

could any of the Northwestern admits give any more details? how personal were the emails, whether it seems like there were more on the way, etc. don't mean to pry - it's one of my top choices and I've been achingly anxious since the first admits started to roll out.

Person who received an email from Penn State about an interview, can you share any details? I didn't get anything which makes me a bit nervous. I guess I didn't think programs were going to be doing interviews for some reason.

Typically the Leiter-ranked programs don't interview...its some sort of standard I think. Unranked and MA programs seem to regularly do it though.

Northwestern admit here.  AOI: Ancient.

The offer email wasn't super-personal, although it did include my name.  A later email from the chair indicated that there were over 250 applicants, of which a "very small fraction" was accepted.  I have no strong reason to think that all the first-round offers have already gone out, but since the offer email wasn't terribly personalized, it's plausible that NW sent them all out at about the same time.

Person who received an email from Penn State about an interview, can you share any details? I didn't get anything which makes me a bit nervous. I guess I didn't think programs were going to be doing interviews for some reason.

Well it is late tonight so that may be the reason why many have not gone out. But the email said would like to interview you for admissions, the possible dates they would like to schedule, asst will contact me to schedule it, keep a certain date in mind for a visit, and said they are excited about the possiblity of me joining the program.

But its different from my other direct acceptance letter from another school, so I dont know if I should be happy or still cross my fingers.

could any of the Northwestern admits give any more details? how personal were the emails, whether it seems like there were more on the way, etc. don't mean to pry - it's one of my top choices and I've been achingly anxious since the first admits started to roll out.

You might peruse through the grad cafe results for last year to see if NU sent out acceptances all at once or in waves. 

Well it is late tonight so that may be the reason why many have not gone out. But the email said would like to interview you for admissions, the possible dates they would like to schedule, asst will contact me to schedule it, keep a certain date in mind for a visit, and said they are excited about the possiblity of me joining the program.

But its different from my other direct acceptance letter from another school, so I dont know if I should be happy or still cross my fingers.

It's odd that it went out so late. It's great that the email leaned toward an offer of admission though. Congrats though. 

You might peruse through the grad cafe results for last year to see if NU sent out acceptances all at once or in waves. 

Yeah, I did that - doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not that optimistic I guess but I've yet to hear from any of the 14 or so philosophy programs I applied to so still hopeful. congrats to the NU admits, regardless!

Yeah, I did that - doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not that optimistic I guess but I've yet to hear from any of the 14 or so philosophy programs I applied to so still hopeful. congrats to the NU admits, regardless!

I suspect people are significantly less likely to post an acceptance recieved after several people have already posted their acceptances, so I wouldn't read too much into this. 

So far, I've received 2 acceptances hours after people here were thinking they must be rejected because they hadn't heard. (One did not seem to be significantly personalized at all) I know it's so easy to assume a rejection (I did both times!) but there's hope! :)

I suspect people are significantly less likely to post an acceptance recieved after several people have already posted their acceptances, so I wouldn't read too much into this. 

So far, I've received 2 acceptances hours after people here were thinking they must be rejected because they hadn't heard. (One did not seem to be significantly personalized at all) I know it's so easy to assume a rejection (I did both times!) but there's hope! :)

You have two acceptances already? I hate you.  :P  

You have two acceptances already? I hate you.  :P  

U wanna fite again brah?

Its funny, having acceptances doesn't make things any better when you go several schools in a row with no news.

Edited by TheVineyard

U wanna fite again brah?

Its funny, having acceptances doesn't make things any better when you go several schools in a row with no news.

It's easy to say that when you have an acceptance. As someone who has one pseudo-acceptance, all I want is one legitimate one. 

Hello all. Joining bit late...

Just curious about the 3 UIC acceptances (over phone) who also have been nominated for fellowship. Is this trend normal - the first call is for people who have been nominated; and after that others (who ll have only TA with bit of funding) will be informed?
And also wanted to know about this interview procedure: one person mentioning interview for Notre Dame HPS (and few others for Penn state). What is the nature of this interview - length and content/kind of questions?

Hello all. Joining bit late...

Just curious about the 3 UIC acceptances (over phone) who also have been nominated for fellowship. Is this trend normal - the first call is for people who have been nominated; and after that others (who ll have only TA with bit of funding) will be informed?

And also wanted to know about this interview procedure: one person mentioning interview for NotreDame HPS (and few others for Penn state). What is the nature of this interview - length and content/kind of questions?

Based on the past two years on TGC and what seems to be the case this year, yes. I was told that the University would make decisions on fellowship funding by February 24th. I assume those decisions inform how many TA-ships they can take on, so they don't make those offers until after that date.

Based on the past two years on TGC and what seems to be the case this year, yes. I was told that the University would make decisions on fellowship funding by February 24th. I assume those decisions inform how many TA-ships they can take on, so they don't make those offers until after that date.

Thanks for your response! [Does TGC stands for The Graduate Committee?]

If that is the case, then I dont know much about this funding business. So, if I get admission only with TAship (without any fellowship), does it mean that I have do the TAship for all the five years? [i am aware that TAship is mandatory even for people with fellowship - but they might have to do it somewhere between their II and IV year.]

Also, would sustaining with TAship be difficult without the extra monetary funding from fellowship?

Since Indian graduate schools doesnt function this way, I not quite aware of this intricacy. It will be nice if any of you can let me know about this.

Thanks!

Edited by werunom

Thanks for your response! [Does TGC stands for The Graduate Committee?]

If that is the case, then I dont know much about this funding business. So, if I get admission only with TAship (without any fellowship), does it mean that I have do the TAship for all the five years? [i am aware that TAship is mandatory even for people with fellowship - but they might have to do it somewhere between their II and IV year.]

Also, would sustaining with TAship be difficult without the extra monetary funding from fellowship?

Since Indian graduate schools doesnt function this way, I not quite aware of this intricacy. It will be nice if any of you can let me know about this.

Thanks!

I don't want to speak for Zukunftsmusik, but "TGC" probably stands for "The Grad Cafe."  He/She is probably referring to the evidence that can be gleaned from hunting through the forums and results pages over the last few years.